Has anyone here purchased an unlimited data plan off eBay?

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about doing it. The only question I have is once I do the AOL and have the unlimited line under my plan, can I drop my limited data line and port my number over to the unlimited line?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking about doing it. The only question I have is once I do the AOL and have the unlimited line under my plan, can I drop my limited data line and port my number over to the unlimited line?

You can't port a number from one line to another on the same carrier.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I figured that was the answer. I was hoping someone could tell me otherwise.
The other option I'm looking at is porting my number to Google voice, dropping the limited data line, and just use the new line with Google voice. The down side to that is, no MMS with Google voice, and the only way to text from MY number, that I'm trying to keep, would be through the Google voice app.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ah, will that work?
Edit: and would it have to be different carrier's prepaid?

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

Last edited:

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I found someone on eBay willing to give me 2 unlimited for free, I'd just have to take three additional lines as well. So I'd be paying the $9/mo * 3 for the unused lines for a year until I could drop them without an ETF.
What I wanted was 2 unlimited data lines for me and my wife, but for what they're going on eBay for I probably won't pay that much for one line.

Do you think that's a good offer, the 2 unlimited for free, just have to take over three additional lines?
Edit: and we'd also have the two lines we currently have. It'd probably be cheaper to keep them on than to pay the ETF. So it'd be 5 unused lines, paying $50/mo for them until the contract runs out, and two unlimited lines.
Also, about my original concern, I can port my number to Google voice, and then port it back to Verizon. That might be cheaper than buying a prepaid phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I found someone on eBay willing to give me 2 unlimited for free, I'd just have to take three additional lines as well. So I'd be paying the $9/mo * 3 for the unused lines for a year until I could drop them without an ETF.
What I wanted was 2 unlimited data lines for me and my wife, but for what they're going on eBay for I probably won't pay that much for one line.

Do you think that's a good offer, the 2 unlimited for free, just have to take over three additional lines?
Edit: and we'd also have the two lines we currently have. It'd probably be cheaper to keep them on than to pay the ETF. So it'd be 5 unused lines, paying $50/mo for them until the contract runs out, and two unlimited lines.
Also, about my original concern, I can port my number to Google voice, and then port it back to Verizon. That might be cheaper than buying a prepaid phone.

It depends on whether they were basic or advanced devices, etf is $175 reduced by $5 or $350 reduced by $10 per month respectively. Charge per month is $10 for dumb phone plus tax, which generally ranges from $3-$7. Just calculate it. If it was 3 basic devices, then it would probably be cheaper to pay etf

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So I snagged a plan off eBay for less than $300. Lost like 5 auctions because $300 is just too much, and some of those auctions were going up to $500!!
So after the AOL, I can put a phone on the unlimited plan. Does it matter if it's a 3G or LTE phone? I have an iPhone 4S and a Casio Commando that aren't being used.
And for downgrading the unused line, do I actually need a dumb phone to put on the line? Or can I just switch it to a basic line with no device and let the contract run out?
I have an old flip phone laying around here I could use if needed.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I snagged a plan off eBay for less than $300. Lost like 5 auctions because $300 is just too much, and some of those auctions were going up to $500!!
So after the AOL, I can put a phone on the unlimited plan. Does it matter if it's a 3G or LTE phone? I have an iPhone 4S and a Casio Commando that aren't being used.
And for downgrading the unused line, do I actually need a dumb phone to put on the line? Or can I just switch it to a basic line with no device and let the contract run out?
I have an old flip phone laying around here I could use if needed.

4GLTE phones have unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 3g. 3g phones are unlimited but network optimized if you are in the top users.

You don't need a physical phone, you can put a dummy phone (or verizon also calls it a test device).

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
And my old line is eligible for an upgrade. I want to see what the Moto X has to offer, or if they ever release a 32GB S4.
So I just upgrade that line, and activate the new phone on the unlimited line? Will that extend the contract on the unused line?

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
So I did the AOL and got the unlimited data line.
Then I ported my number to Google Voice using these steps https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/779321
It's a 24 hour process, so hopefully it works. I put my GNex on the unlimited number and changed it to some random number. Once my number is ported to GV, I'm going to port it to my unlimited plan.
Pain in the ***. I wish I could just switch around phone numbers on my plan within VZW. I put my old Casio Commando on my 4GB line. If the whole porting to and from GV works out, I want to port my wife's line to the 4GB plan, since it have the 4GB for the price of 2GB, and her current plan is 5GB for $44. And then downgrading her old plan to a flip phone plan and letting the contract run out or just use it as a line to transfer upgrades to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19