Thoughts on Verizon's "More Everything" Plan

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I would love the Moto X, but my wife wants a better camera than it has. I'm thinking about trying to buy her an S4, or just getting her an S5 when it comes out. Those have pretty good cameras (or I should say that the S5 will probably have a good camera).

Again, tough decision. I agree that the waiting game is pointless sometimes with smartphones, as something better is always on the horizon.

I'm very happy with the note 3 camera. If you're willing to wait, give some time for that Nokia android phone to reveal itself. Easily the best cameras on phones but without the windows phone OS :p The moto cameras are middle of the road at best.

please back away from the screen

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My thought on the More Everything Plan ... Big Red is trying to sucker more people into the Edge Upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Something seems a little off with this thread. I think OP is a VZW plant trying to size up the response to the new plants.

We are waiting for the "friends" to check in.

We need:

Coverage of the various providers in your area.

What plan and provider they are on now.

What their typcial monthly usage is for minutes and GB data.

Thx OP

Wow, I am actually a bit offended by this comment! Your statement couldn't be further from the truth! I am a consumer just like you and although I am not an avid poster here, I do come to the forums quite often to search for information and opinions as I like to see the advise and opinions of the actual consumers of the products we share an interest in, verses the hype/propaganda of the Company, and in addition don't always have time to try and figure out the changes in their plans!

With that said, My whole family has been on Verizon for a very long time as I mentioned. In fact my parents used to own Verizon stores many years ago for a long time, until VZW forced out the "Mom and Pop" store owners! They did very well for many years until VZW made it impossible for them to compete with Corporate stores.....so love lost for VZW, but we stay with them for the service coverage, but yes they are very expensive. Yes, I know the old adage "You get what you pay for" but I think there are a lot of things that do compare where you can get something just as good for less money......and lets face it, who isn't 'for' saving money!

I simply was asking what everyone thought of the new plan compared to other carriers, not so much specific on what an individual person had on their plan (my friends family) but just in general comparison. My daughter and her boyfriend recently decided to switch to Tmobile,I guess they figured they had nothing to lose as they no longer had unlimited lines, and they think they are paying so much less, BUT and what cost?, service? I just have always heard from people I know on Tmobile that their service was awful. I know it depends on where you live. So of course less money intrigues me but, my husband and I have a Real Estate company and we rely heavily on our phones/service! I rely heavily on my wonderful Note 2 to handle a ton of functions of my business!

Thank you!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I just have always heard from people I know on Tmobile that their service was awful. I know it depends on where you live.
It completely depends on where you live. TMobile is upgrading their network and refarming but like with all the carriers, they do the bigger metro areas first. So if you travel, you have to think about that, too.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Actually, all 4 of my lines are on the old "Family Share" Plan.....I have 2 Note 2's Unlimited and 2 dumb phones on the 2 basic lines.
I would stay with your UDPs then. You can still use your upgrades on those lines by doing upgrade transfers to the basic lines. We have a whole thread on that process in the Verizon forum.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My thought on the More Everything Plan ... Big Red is trying to sucker more people into the Edge Upgrade.

Depending on your situation, the edge upgrade can be financially beneficial at this time.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It completely depends on where you live. TMobile is upgrading their network and refarming but like with all the carriers, they do the bigger metro areas first. So if you travel, you have to think about that, too.

Yes, I have heard that about Tmobile as well from a good friend who manages a booth at Costco and they do VZW, Sprint and Tmobile; he said they have a new CEO who is making great strides, but for now VZW is still better service coverage. No we don't travel regularly, but when we do, and with others on different carriers our VZW service/coverage is always much better than theirs.

I agree about the larger metro areas being upgraded first, but funny, as we always have pretty solid 4g in Tucson, compared to when we go to Phoenix, and Vegas which you would think would be stronger is not as we get more 3g in those areas. Guess based on both being larger cities, more concentration of people hitting up the network.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Currently I'm torn between buying a Verizon compatible device on the secondhand market, or just re-upping with Verizon. Loosing unlimited data is going to happen eventually, I know, but right now even though my bill is high it is the same every month. With two lines, my wife and I don't often go over 5 gb of data in a month, but my fear is that I extend my contract, loose UD, and then find out that I'm using more and more data (which I think is inevitable, with apps getting larger, media being streamed in higher quality, etc.) and I have to pay for more and more data. Just look at how fast we have moved from phones that could only text, to smartphones capable of streaming HD movies straight from Netflix? I have a hard time believing that in a couple of years 5GB of data is going to seem like much at all.
You don't have to lose your UDP when you upgrade and get a subsidized phone:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/351917-verizon-how-keep-unlimited-data-get-phone-subsidized-price.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon.html

And be sure and sign up for the Best Buy Reserve Gift Card today, it is the last day!

Best Buy Reserve Gift Card

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I understand the logic of hitting the people dense areas first, but the HSPA+ T-Mobile already has in most metro areas is very solid, and LTE isn't a huge upgrade. Upgrading the zero coverage areas to anything at all would be the bigger impact.

please back away from the screen

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If you're on the galaxy nexus, have you looked at the moto x? It's relatively cheap at full price and it's form factor is like a modern sleeker sexier gnex.
I second this! My Moto X Dev Ed is a lot like my GNex. Easy to unlock and root and once you do, not only do you keep your warranty, but you can easily hack the entitlement check and WiFi tether for free!

Until the 22nd, the Moto X Dev Ed is $380. It is worth every dime. We are getting an update to 4.4.2 soon which improves the low light camera performance. But don't take the OTA if you are rooted without reverting back to stock.

Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon - A Google Company

Then if you get the Moto X, when the Moto X2 comes out in August/Septemeber, you can use your upgrade to get the Moto X2 on contract using the methods in the links I provided in my other post. Or if you want the Dev Ed, you can pay full price and then use your upgrade to get the iPhone 6 at the subsidized price and sell it to pay for the Dev Ed.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I would stay with your UDPs then. You can still use your upgrades on those lines by doing upgrade transfers to the basic lines. We have a whole thread on that process in the Verizon forum.
Yes, that's exactly what I have been doing and why I keep the 2 dumb phone lines. Like another poster said.....I am sure at some point they will take away the UDP, but I am hanging on to it as long as I can. Like I said, I don't think I abuse the amount of data in any way....I don't stream movies, music, etc......so basically I use email, Facebook, a little words with friends, AC forum, etc. and hard to believe with just that stuff I use between 3-4 gigs per month on just my phone.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You only need to keep 1 dumb phone line to do the transfers to. And you use the upgrade on that line to get an iPhone and sell it and it pays for the cost of the line.
Yes, Thank you, I am waiting to maybe cancel the right one when its up. Best Buy kind of screwed me when I went to use the only one I had at the time and was trying to transfer it to use my upgrade as I was getting the Note 2 at $149. at the time it was a great price.....and suddenly half way through them doing it, they said they couldn't transfer, saying they showed it as an "Altenative" upgrade.....long story, so I added a $10 line. Guess I was very naive at the time.

When I do use the upgrade, I use it for new phones we want.....and although, I would never get an Iphone, I think you meant that an iphone would resale for more money to sell it, but then I wouldn't be able to get the phone I want, lets say Note 3 for the subsidized price? Am I missing something in what you were saying? Thanks!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
When I do use the upgrade, I use it for new phones we want.....and although, I would never get an Iphone, I think you meant that an iphone would resale for more money to sell it, but then I wouldn't be able to get the phone I want, lets say Note 3 for the subsidized price? Am I missing something in what you were saying? Thanks!
Let's say you have 2 UDP lines and 1 basic phone line for transferring upgrades. That means you get 3 subsidized phones, 1 for each line.

So let's say all 3 lines are eligible for an upgrade. This is what you would do:

1) Get the phone you want for yourself using the basic phone line's upgrade. This requires that you pick a data plan. Pick the 2GB data plan;
2) If you buy in store, it will be activated on the basic line;
3) Go home and put the basic phone back on its line. The data plan will drop off by itself but if not, you can block data on the line;
4) Put the new phone on your UDP line.

Now you will have the phone you want on your UDP line. To get your husband the phone he wants:

5) Transfer his UDP line's upgrade to the basic phone line and repeat Steps 1-4 except get the phone your husband wants and put it on his UDP line;

Now you and your husband will have the phones you want on your UDP lines. You will still have an upgrade on your UDP line. You have 2 options - save that upgrade for when you want another new phone or use it to get an iPhone to sell to recoup the cost of the basic phone line. If you choose the latter you:

6) Transfer your UDP line's upgrade to the basic phone line and repeat Steps 1-3 except get an iPhone; and
7) Once the basic phone is back on its line, the iPhone is now available for sale.

If you buy online instead of in store, you activate the phones yourself but be sure and activate them on the basic phone line they were purchased on first.

Do not buy from anywhere but Best Buy, Verizon and Costco as all of the other retailers will charge you a $400 secondary ETF for dropping the 2GB data plan.

You can also get rid of the basic phone lines entirely if you do the Best Buy online method, but you can't get a Droid Maxx that way.

Moto Maker uses Best Buy's system so this will likely work for Moto Maker, too and at least one poster reported that it did.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Let's say you have 2 UDP lines and 1 basic phone line for transferring upgrades. That means you get 3 subsidized phones, 1 for each line.

So let's say all 3 lines are eligible for an upgrade. This is what you would do:

1) Get the phone you want for yourself using the basic phone line's upgrade. This requires that you pick a data plan. Pick the 2GB data plan;
2) If you buy in store, it will be activated on the basic line;
3) Go home and put the basic phone back on its line. The data plan will drop off by itself but if not, you can block data on the line;
4) Put the new phone on your UDP line.

Now you will have the phone you want on your UDP line. To get your husband the phone he wants:

5) Transfer his UDP line's upgrade to the basic phone line and repeat Steps 1-4 except get the phone your husband wants and put it on his UDP line;

Now you and your husband will have the phones you want on your UDP lines. You will still have an upgrade on your UDP line. You have 2 options - save that upgrade for when you want another new phone or use it to get an iPhone to sell to recoup the cost of the basic phone line. If you choose the latter you:

6) Transfer your UDP line's upgrade to the basic phone line and repeat Steps 1-3 except get an iPhone; and
7) Once the basic phone is back on its line, the iPhone is now available for sale.

If you buy online instead of in store, you activate the phones yourself but be sure and activate them on the basic phone line they were purchased on first.

Do not buy from anywhere but Best Buy, Verizon and Costco as all of the other retailers will charge you a $400 secondary ETF for dropping the 2GB data plan.

You can also get rid of the basic phone lines entirely if you do the Best Buy online method, but you can't get a Droid Maxx that way.

Moto Maker uses Best Buy's system so this will likely work for Moto Maker, too and at least one poster reported that it did.

Thank you very much for all your time is explaning/typing that out! I did know most of that process as that is what I have done to upgrade to our Note 2's. It's a shame we have to do these things to keep our UDP. When I got my Note 2 a year ago this month, both my UDP lines were available for upgrade, the basic line was not, so perhaps that is why Best Buy wouldn't/couldn't do it. So I added the 4th line and didn't use my upgrade.....then in July we did transfer my husbands upgrade to the basic and got him a Note 2. We DID do it at Costco; the guy who managed the booth was Awesome and we did NOT pay any eft to then switch the phone back and drop the data on the basic line. Unless they have changed their policy since last July, Costco does not charge the EFT. So I actually do still have the upgrade available on my line since last Feb.

If I did what you said above with 2 phones to keep and then the third one and sold the phone, put dumb phone back on..... then that basic line wouldn't be available for 2 years to use to transfer too.

So.......both the UDP and Basic line 'both' have to be eligible for upgrade? Once you transfer to the basic and back, is it true that no upgrade is then counted towards the basic (rather the upgrade is counted to the UDP line) and you can do another transfer to it right away (or within days) ???

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
When I got my Note 2 a year ago this month, both my UDP lines were available for upgrade, the basic line was not, so perhaps that is why Best Buy wouldn't/couldn't do it.
No. In fact, you would not be able to transfer an UDP line's upgrade to a basic line if the basic line had its own upgrade available. That is why in the steps above I had you use the basic line's upgrade first. You have to do it that way in order to free the basic line up for a transfer.

The Best Buy rep you were dealing with didn't know what they were doing.

So I added the 4th line and didn't use my upgrade.....then in July we did transfer my husbands upgrade to the basic and got him a Note 2. We DID do it at Costco; the guy who managed the booth was Awesome and we did NOT pay any eft to then switch the phone back and drop the data on the basic line. Unless they have changed their policy since last July, Costco does not charge the EFT. So I actually do still have the upgrade available on my line since last Feb.
yes, Costco, Best Buy and Verizon no secondary ETF for dropping the data plan. Probably Moto Maker, too.

If I did what you said above with 2 phones to keep and then the third one and sold the phone, put dumb phone back on..... then that basic line wouldn't be available for 2 years to use to transfer too.
No, that is not how it works at all. In fact, as I explained above you cannot transfer an upgrade to the basic line if it has its own upgrade available.

So.......both the UDP and Basic line 'both' have to be eligible for upgrade?
No, just the opposite. You have to use the basic phone's upgrade before you can transfer a UDP upgrade to it.

Once you transfer to the basic and back, is it true that no upgrade is then counted towards the basic (rather the upgrade is counted to the UDP line) and you can do another transfer to it right away (or within days) ???
When you transfer the UDP's upgrade to the basic line and use it to purchase a new phone, the UDP line's contract will be extended by 2 years.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I can comment on this. T-Mobile is definitely a "city carrier". I call them that because when you're not in a major city.. Your data will be edge (2g) for sure.

Now this isn't always bad for all but for most it is. I traveled from my home (Jacksonville FL) to New Jersey and had edge when in between major towns... But I could always call and text.. Never did I have an issue with that. I knew this would be the case so using my Google music subscription I cached all my playlists to my phone ahead of time.. Had music the whole drive and edge can handle turn by turn navigation. Once in major towns.. I had LTE and if not.. HSPA. Surprisingly I had LTE alot more than HSPA in main towns so I was good to go... And in NJ I had LTE everywhere all the time :).

So I can plan for things like that because I rarely travel.. But for people who travel a bunch I wouldn't recommend T-Mobile. Or if you're someone who would rather your phone just always work no matter the situation.. I'd suggest another carrier (like Verizon).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Almeuit, thank you so much! That is really great first hand information! I'm hoping that my daughter doesnt have any problems with service now that she made the switch to Tmobile.

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Depending on your situation, the edge upgrade can be financially beneficial at this time.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

They are using the More Everything to push people into leasing phones, which is exactly what the edge program is. It is only financially beneficial to one entity - Verizon Wireless.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mobile Nations mobile app