I Am Allowed to Put an LTE Tablet on an UDP Line, right?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct, Verizon allows you to use the sim in any compatible device, including tablets and hotspot. The line is still a smartphone line, you would be able to use the upgrade anytime but if you want to keep unlimited then you would have to use one of the loopholes

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that works.

Obviously ties up the phone line as the tablet probably doesn't have CDMA radios for voice calls, but no reason you couldn't swap between. Also, have to have an adapter if they're different sized SIM card slots, but that shouldn't be a show stopper by any means.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also, this is under the assumption that the device IMEI is white listed (a verizon bought tablet or Nexus 7 2013 or one that has been registered as one of those two categories).

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Also, this is under the assumption that the device IMEI is white listed (a verizon bought tablet or Nexus 7 2013 or one that has been registered as one of those two categories).
yes, I was going to get an iPad LTE for my mom because she has UDP on her phone that she never uses much data and I will just get her a 2GB line and then her iPad can be on her UDP line. That way she can get rid of her home internet, which she only uses for the iPad to play games. I think it will be cheaper this way.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It is my understanding that any 4GLTE band 13 device should be able to operate on Verizon, regardless of approval, due to fcc requirements on band 13 . However, Verizon won't give you a sim if the device is not approved, but you can put a sim in if you have one.

Since only Verizon uses band 13, I don't think that there are any non verizon devices that contain band 13 besides the nexus 7 before it's approval

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It is my understanding that any 4GLTE band 13 device should be able to operate on Verizon, regardless of approval. However, Verizon won't give you a sim if the device is not approved, but you can put a sim in if you have one

Good call, thanks for clearing that up. I'm still thinking about the process for putting a new sim in a new tablet and forgot we're just sim swapping.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good call, thanks for clearing that up. I'm still thinking about the process for putting a new sim in a new tablet and forgot we're just sim swapping.

I don't think that Verizon would give you a sim if you go to the store and want to activate a tablet on a smartphone UDP line. They will say that they can't do it. You can do it yourself by mowing sims of course.

Basically they are doing the absolute minimum to comply with the fcc requirements.

Just like before they would not give the guy with the nexus 7 a sim.