Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Default Which network is voLTE on?

Is it the band 4 network, or band 13? Does anyone know?
    SGH-T999v running stock 4.3

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Which network is voLTE on?

Verizon does not have VoLTE rolled out at the moment, but it will be running on the same band as whatever they have deployed in your city/area.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Verizon does not have VoLTE rolled out at the moment, but it will be running on the same band as whatever they have deployed in your city/area.
    So that means both the b4 and b13 networks?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    So that means both the b4 and b13 networks?
    Yes. All it is, is that the voice will now run on their LTE bands instead of CDMA (Or whatever they had before ). If it's Band 4 in one city it will run on that, whereas it can run on Band 13 in another city.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Interesting. I wonder what this means in terms of voLTE availability to phones that may have only band 13 ( and no Verizon CDMA bands.) Does "open access" mean "open access to network and any technologies that may leverage this network?"

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Interesting. I wonder what this means in terms of voLTE availability to phones that may have only band 13 ( and no Verizon CDMA bands.) Does "open access" mean "open access to network and any technologies that may leverage this network?"
    Do any of the current phones only run on one of those bands though?
    I know Verizon was holding back on releasing devices that were LTE only because of that as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Do any of the current phones only run on one of those bands though?
    I know Verizon was holding back on releasing devices that were LTE only because of that as well.
    A variant of the BlackBerry Passport just passed through the FCC, packing LTE bands 4 and 13 but no Verizon CDMA bands: BlackBerry Passport passes through the FCC | CrackBerry.com

That's really why I asked. "Open access" rules would mandate Verizon to allow this device on their b13 network, but does that mean Verizon has to allow b13 voLTE too--provided both callers are in voLTE markets? As it stands right now, TMO--who is under no "open access" obligations, does not allow voLTE on unsanctioned, network-compatible devices.

Global Posts
    5,647 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Interesting. I wonder what this means in terms of voLTE availability to phones that may have only band 13
    Probably about the same as it meant to analog phones - time to get a newer phone. They may give you a decent trade-in allowance if you're upgrading because your phone doesn't work in your city (and legally you can leave with no ETF, since they're no longer providing you with service you can use), but I don't think they're going to worry too much about it. (But "decent" to you may not be "decent" to them. They offered only $50 for the S60 (if I remember the model number correctly) - a phone that sold for much more than that before they scrapped their PTT plans. Which is why I still have both of mine, for whatever they're worth.)
    tjrssibelle likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Probably about the same as it meant to analog phones - time to get a newer phone.
    Why? Such phones would not be obsolete by any means. Think of a cellular Nexus 7, but as a phone (i.e. therefore able to leverage voLTE.)

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Why? Such phones would not be obsolete by any means. Think of a cellular Nexus 7, but as a phone (i.e. therefore able to leverage voLTE.)
    They wouldn't
    You'd need a new device only if you would want the VoLTE feature

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

On TMO, you basically need two things for voLTE: IMS, and IMEI whitelisting (i.e. TMO's permission to use voLTE.) If Verizon's implementation is also IMS based and the phone is capable--does "open access" usage on b13 extend to IMEI whitelisting for voLTE?

Yes. All it is, is that the voice will now run on their LTE bands instead of CDMA (Or whatever they had before ). If it's Band 4 in one city it will run on that, whereas it can run on Band 13 in another city.
    Band 13 is deployed everywhere. Certain towers were updated to support xlte, but I don't believe that there are any xlte only towers (no b13).

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

On TMO, you basically need two things for voLTE: IMS, and IMEI whitelisting (i.e. TMO's permission to use voLTE.) If Verizon's implementation is also IMS based and the phone is capable--does "open access" usage on b13 extend to IMEI whitelisting for voLTE?
    You would have to ask Verizon. But my guess would be that they would allow any compatible device, Verizon branded or not.

Thanked by:
    raino 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Band 13 is deployed everywhere. Certain towers were updated to support xlte, but I don't believe that there are any xlte only towers (no b13).
    What's your take on this? Will b13-only phones be able to do voLTE? By b13-only I mean phones/IMEIs/ESNs that are not on the magical approved list, so their only "in" is b13?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You would have to ask Verizon. But my guess would be that they would allow any compatible device, Verizon branded or not.
    Yeah, I guess we'll all find out. Given that voLTE is barely in testing right now, I can't imagine this has come up yet.

Off the top of your head, are you aware of any phones (on any platform) that have b13 but don't have Verizon appropriate CDMA?

What's your take on this? Will b13-only phones be able to do voLTE? By b13-only I mean phones/IMEIs/ESNs that are not on the magical approved list, so their only "in" is b13?
    I believe so. The fcc rules apply to b13 only. So if anything, it could work on b13 only and not b4,but not the other way around.

Yeah, I guess we'll all find out. Given that voLTE is barely in testing right now, I can't imagine this has come up yet.

Off the top of your head, are you aware of any phones (on any platform) that have b13 but don't have Verizon appropriate CDMA?
    Don't know of any. Verizon probably is probably doing their best to dissuade manufacturers from making it.

Iphone on AT&T. The cdma component is disabled.

The Nexus 7 has LTE but no cdma component.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Iphone on AT&T. The cdma component is disabled.
    I think you're right, but I meant one(s) being used on Verizon. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I think you're right, but I meant one(s) being used on Verizon. Sorry, I should have been clearer.
    Nexus 7 LTE. I believe they will activate it now. No cdma component.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Nexus 7 LTE. I believe they will activate it now. No cdma component.
    Phones

Phones
    Sorry, looked quickly and saw the any platform. There are no Verizon phones that don't have the cdma components right now. They have said VoLTE only phones will be released is 2016.

There are phones, such as the iPhone, that have verizon LTE bands and a disabled cdma component.

I am hoping once Verizon goes to VoLTE only phones we will be able to use any device on their network like any of the current GSM carriers.

I am sure they will probably not "activate" a device not sold by them. I hopeful if we have an active sim we would be able to use the phone.

We will most likely have to wait until 2016 to get the answers.
    Phones

Well currently devices authenticate the LTE component through your SIM, but voice is still done with the device IMEI, and they maintain that whitelist. Putting your SIM in a phone currently triggers CDMA activation as well, like *228 did before.

Given that VoLTE is all LTE, it's certainly possible that they could authenticate just through the SIM and allow voice to work, just depends on how they decide to implement it.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    7,771 Global Posts

On a somewhat related note, is band 4 "open" too? Since LTE is closer to GSM than CDMA, I'm not sure if Verizon blocks out devices from accessing band 4. They probably won't activate a device solely based on b4 availability, but let's say you get activated based on b13 "open access" rules...will b4 be available to you?

Verizon is supposed to be releasing OTA updates within the next 3 weeks! Any Compatible Devices will get the update!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast