How to put a smartphone on a legacy plan without a data plan (BRV required)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This requires you to have a Broadband Router with Voice. Another device may work, but I have only tested it with a BRV. If you don't have one, then you can use a working floor demo that I have seen at Verizon corporate stores. Keep in mind though that you would need to remove 6 security Torx T6 screws to access the sim. So, ymmv on the store letting you do it, however, it should work. For reference, this is the one I have:

Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice | Verizon Wireless

1. Take out an active microsim out of a Verizon 4GLTE smartphone on the legacy family share plan or individual plan and place it into the Verizon BRV. Go to your MyVerizon on a desktop browser and make any change (I added Verizon cloud service, but any feature change should work. This should automatically add the block 4G data feature. Submit the change, effective today.

2. Take the microsim out of the BRV and put it back into the 4GLTE smartphone. You now have a smartphone without a data plan.

3. If you want to restore data (including Unlimited Data, if you have it), make sure you have the smartphone on the line. Go to My Verizon, and you will see no data plan selected for that line. Add unlimited data (or whatever data you have)

Attachments

• add brv, block data.jpg
    add brv, block data.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 90
  • No data.jpg
    No data.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 92
  • new unlimited.jpg
    new unlimited.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 95
  • no data, add data.jpg
    no data, add data.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 130

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Do you still get mms on the phone? Will it let you add any data plan (unlimited if you did not have it on the line).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Do you still get mms on the phone? Will it let you add any data plan (unlimited if you did not have it on the line).
I haven't tried mms. I don't have a messaging plan. I only did it with my unlimited line. I need to get a micro sim adapter to try one of my non unlimited lines.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried mms. I don't have a messaging plan. I only did it with my unlimited line. I need to get a micro sim adapter to try one of my non unlimited lines.

Please tell me you didn't do this to your line with unlimited data!!!!

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
3. If you want to restore data (including Unlimited Data, if you have it), make sure you have the smartphone on the line. Go to My Verizon, and you will see no data plan selected for that line. Add unlimited data (or whatever data you have)

so do all data plans (including unlimited) show up as an option if you didn't have it before?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So this might be a way for someone that used a dumbphone line to get a smartphone and they were required to keep data for 2 years on that line to drop the data.
Yes it should work. I am stuck with UDP and a 2 year data requirement because of adding an iphone line to get a new UDP line. Which isn't really a bad thing, I use the brv as my home Internet. It runs smoother than my twc 50/5 service, even though Verizon only advertises 5-12 down

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes it should work. I am stuck with UDP and a 2 year data requirement because of adding an iphone line to get a new UDP line. Which isn't really a bad thing, I use the brv as my home Internet. It runs smoother than my twc 50/5 service, even though Verizon only advertises 5-12 down

I was planning to do that. I added a line using the Apple glitch. Got the phone, but the line never showed up.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean the line never showed up?

The line would not activate. I spent 3 hours at Apple and an hour at a Verizon store. Basically I got an iPhone 6 for the subsidized price without a contract.

The original phone would not activate with the pre-installed sim or any other. Brought it to the verizon store they could not do anything. The order was not in their system. They basically told me I got an iPhone without service.

Apple store swapped the phone. New phone was able to activate on my other line. They told me to go back to verizon to get the line added.

It has been about two months now.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The line would not activate. I spent 3 hours at Apple and an hour at a Verizon store. Basically I got an iPhone 6 for the subsidized price without a contract.

The original phone would not activate with the pre-installed sim or any other. Brought it to the verizon store they could not do anything. The order was not in their system. They basically told me I got an iPhone without service.

Apple store swapped the phone. New phone was able to activate on my other line. They told me to go back to verizon to get the line added.

It has been about two months now.
Nice, I got 2 new unlimited lines of service and sold off one line, so I would keep 5 lines total. I don't mind a 6th, but Verizon only allows 5 lines of service with the family share plan

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What happens when you tried to use data on the phone? Was it automatically blocked?

I ask because I have a dumbphone for my niece. I am tempted to try this and give her a smartphone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What happens when you tried to use data on the phone? Was it automatically blocked?

I ask because I have a dumbphone for my niece. I am tempted to try this and give her a smartphone.
Yes it was blocked. I couldn't get data until I reinstated unlimited data