Service Upper Peninsula of Michigan

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Long detailed post SORRY

So I'm up in upper Peninsula of Michigan and this location to my knowledge never really has had much for service. Sometimes you may get 1 bar and might get a call out. I've noticed a weird pattern service. Generally we put our phones into airplane mode to keep the battery from dying, but on my most recent trip is I went straight to the shore and discovered I had 4g with 1 bar out of 6. I couldn't place a call at all, but could surf the Internet and even called the girlfriend over hangouts voice only. Speed test results only show 1-2 megs of data which would explain why Google hangouts video froze. My father who has an old Samsung a930 without a data plan still could not make a voice call.
The next day in the morning returning to the shore i have 2 of 6 bars with no data, can send text, no calls. That afternoon 1x with 2 bars and in the evening back to 4g data only.
All day long at camp and probably 100 yards from shore there is no service except at night where i might get 4g for a few minutes then 1 bar of service.

So finally to my question why? I know sunspots, terrain, etc all have affects om signals. I assume there must be a new or a stronger tower put in place. I know or thought 4g, 3g, 1x, voice all used different frequencies and signal bars are voice strength correct? So why would 4g work twice as well as voice in an area that's never had either? Why the extreme functions, shouldn't it either work or not?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just a speculation but it could be that Verizon only has pcs (1900mhz) for 1x and 3g in your area whereas Verizon has 700MHz for lte.

It is also possible that there is an lte only tower put up closer so that you can get LTE but the 1x tower is further away. Or perhaps even the positioning of the antennas.

Also it could be reducing network detection to reduce battery drain. Sometimes a reboot might get that weak lte signal back

Older devices can only use 1x to make calls. Some New devices support volte which can make calls over lte.