Verizon raising the price for Unlimited Data Plan by $20 after November 15, 2015

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
There was a computer glitch for about 24hrs two years ago that allowed you to upgrade straight on the Verizon website...

Posted via the Android Central App

Also last year apple.com had the glitch to get unlimited data on their site. what a beauty that was :)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Also last year apple.com had the glitch to get unlimited data on their site. what a beauty that was :)

Verizon can easily convince me to ditch my UDP. All they have to do is come up with a new plan that offers at least 32GB per month and keep my monthly bill the same.(well, I can live with $5 or $10 more per month)

I used to use a TON of bandwidth on my Verizon 4G phones, even at home... because it was faster than my home cable modem connection. I sometime use as much as 500gb to 600gb on Verizon.

However, I just got 1 gigabit (1000mbps)internet for $70/month (with a 750gb cap, $10 for each additional 50gb) at home and I lost my sole reason to rely on my Verizon unlimited data plan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My contract wasn't expiring until 11/2016.

The first VZW added the loyalty 100-minute bonus. VZW website showed new contract end date of 11/2017.

A couple of days later the 100-minute bonus remained, but the contract date went back to 11/2016.

Several calls to Verizon made no difference. (conflicting answers) I ended up with two 100-minute bonus on that UDP line. Still the original 11/2016 end date.

The last Verizon rep was much higher up and was manually "correct" my contract date to 11/2017. I later learned that she was in charge of that call center.(one of many Verizon call centers) She gave me her direct line and told me to call her if necessary. However, as of today, the 11/2017 has remained. :)

Forgot mention that a Verizon rep did offer me $15/month account credit for 12 months, no strings attached, to offset the $20 increase. The offer is still noted in my account, although I didnt' accept it. Glad I didn't because an actual contract extension to 11/2017 was way better. (on second thought, what if I call back and ask them to look up the notes left by that rep and tell them that I wan to accept the $15/month credit for 12 months? nah... I'm not that greedy... or am I? :D )

Do you have two LOYALTY 100 MIN promos both ending 11/2016?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have two LOYALTY 100 MIN promos both ending 11/2016?

just logged in and yes, it does indeed show two identical lines of the same Loyalty 100 minute promo both ending in 11/2016. The contract end day still remain unchanged(11/2017). I've been checking my account daily. Boy, Verizon can make a bundle of money if they charge customers 10 cents for each log in. :D :D :D The math is mind-blowing. If each VZW customer logs 10 time each year, that's $1. Verizon has 100 million customers. So that's $100,000,000 in extra profit!(not gonna happen, of course) That'll buy at least 2 well-equipped corporate jets. :)

This got me confused, does this mean that UDP line now has 200 bonus minutes each month? I guess the only way to find out is to go over my plan's 700 minutes, then the first 100 minutes... although this is going to be hard... I rarely use more than 30 to 40 voice minutes each month. I rely completely on Skype(70%) and Hangouts(30%) for my voice calls.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
just logged in and yes, it does indeed show two identical lines of the same Loyalty 100 minute promo both ending in 11/2016. The contract end day still remain unchanged(11/2017). I've been checking my account daily. Boy, Verizon can make a bundle of money if they charge customers 10 cents for each log in. :D :D :D The math is mind-blowing. If each VZW customer logs 10 time each year, that's $1. Verizon has 100 million customers. So that's $100,000,000 in extra profit!(not gonna happen, of course) That'll buy at least 2 well-equipped corporate jets. :)

This got me confused, does this mean that UDP line now has 200 bonus minutes each month? I guess the only way to find out is to go over my plan's 700 minutes, then the first 100 minutes... although this is going to be hard... I rarely use more than 30 to 40 voice minutes each month. I rely completely on Skype(70%) and Hangouts(30%) for my voice calls.

Yup. Your UDP line (the LOYALTY 100 MIN should show which line(s) they apply too) should have 200 bonus minutes each month for a year.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Your UDP line (the LOYALTY 100 MIN should show which line(s) they apply too) should have 200 bonus minutes each month for a year.

like I said, I don't really care about the extra minutes... it's only to get away from the $20 price increase for an extra year. :)

Verizon can put this condition on my line, as long as long
as they dont' charge me the extra $20/month:

"Customer promises to visit his aunt at least once
every 7 days and give her a kiss on the lips"

Oh.. boy... the thing we do in order to keep UDP. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
like I said, I don't really care about the extra minutes... it's only to get away from the $20 price increase for an extra year. :)

Verizon can put this condition on my line, as long as long
as they dont' charge me the extra $20/month:

"Customer promises to visit his aunt at least once
every 7 days and give her a kiss on the lips"

Oh.. boy... the thing we do in order to keep UDP. :)

You still had another year before the $20 increase. Any reason why you seemed to rush to add more time to the contract?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You still had another year before the $20 increase. Any reason why you seemed to rush to add more time to the contract?

at least now I am almost guaranteed not to get the $20 increase until 12/2017. (the month after the contract end date of 11/2017)

I don't find upgrades and contract pricing that useful anymore. With all the huge Device Payment Plan discounts that Verizon is throwing around these days, I was able to buy the Galaxy Note 5 for only $296 and the LG G4 for $0. (both are my final cost after discounts)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hell, I dont suppose I could ask about that? I can live with paying 5 bucks more a month personally.

If you're referring to the $15/month credit for 12 months that I was talking about... it doesn't hurt to ask. The way I did it was to imply or gently hint that I was considering leaving Verizon because of the increase. Butter them up about how much you've enjoyed your Verizon service, but you're very disappointed with the price increase... and they if there's anything they can do for you.

Never threaten to leave. It accomplishes nothing. It brings a finality to your conversation with the rep. Remember, the Verizon rep is just someone who's working for a paycheck. Be nice to them. Treat them with respect and ask nicely and 99% of them will be just as nice to you.

Whether or not they offer you the $15/month credit may depend a lot on your account history. I have been a Verizon customer Since Bill "Didn't Have Sex" Clinton was still office. In fact, IIRC, I signed up for service and bought a flip phone from them in the same week that the Monica Lewinsky scandal blew up. This was before they change their name from Bell Atlantic Mobile to Verizon.

imma_rage_quit

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I finally left Verizon and went to AT&T. All I can say is that the data speeds are incredible.

This picture is with my Nexus 6P on Verizon...

d5e6ff4c9e645a040a5d6aac55095149.jpg

This is with my Nexus 6P on AT&T in the exact same location...

f3224718ca25783d7f430b7d0ff9b761.jpg

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally left Verizon and went to AT&T. All I can say is that the data speeds are incredible.

This picture is with my Nexus 6P on Verizon...

This is with my Nexus 6P on AT&T in the exact same location...

Unlimited or not, I will gladly switch to AT&T or T-Mobile. Unfortunately, those two companies don't have any 4G coverage in my area yet. :( So I'm stuck with Verizon. (but 21mbps down isn't that bad... although it's usually 11mbps to 15mbps only)

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately when I did BBM in February I didn't upgrade the line I transferred the upgrade from.
So my UDP got stuck in Month to Month and the other line with a 2017 date.
And now it looks like UDP gets dropped if I transfer the upgrade that is on UDP line to the other line.
(IE. online there is no more data plan listed at all in bill)

The other 2 lines on the account are basic phones for 70+ year olds.

I guessed I screwed it up back then? Nothing I tried can keep the UPD with upgrading the other lines.
And $20 is a lot extra for us.

Should I see if I can get the basics upgraded (the ones they have are over 4 years old now) and grit my teeth and go to the 12GB Verizon plan?
(that would be only $4 more a month compared to the increase on UDP)

I've only gone past 8GB once on the UDP. But past 6GB a lot.

Any ideas?

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately when I did BBM in February I didn't upgrade the line I transferred the upgrade from.
So my UDP got stuck in Month to Month and the other line with a 2017 date.
And now it looks like UDP gets dropped if I transfer the upgrade that is on UDP line to the other line.
(IE. online there is no more data plan listed at all in bill)

The other 2 lines on the account are basic phones for 70+ year olds.

I guessed I screwed it up back then? Nothing I tried can keep the UPD with upgrading the other lines.
And $20 is a lot extra for us.

Should I see if I can get the basics upgraded (the ones they have are over 4 years old now) and grit my teeth and go to the 12GB Verizon plan?
(that would be only $4 more a month compared to the increase on UDP)

I've only gone past 8GB once on the UDP. But past 6GB a lot.

Any ideas?

Since they say the UDP line is still available for upgrade would it be possible to order one of the 2 year contract $1.00 S6 on BestBuy.com and not activate it?

Or does the contract renew at activation?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
For me it kinda screwed me up since it did not do a new 2 years, so now the unlimited is going up $20 for me..

if you log into your Verizon account right now, does the UDP line show any available upgrades? If so, you have a few more days to get another phone. Last time it happened to me, I just bought another S5 phone during the $1 sale at BestBuy.com. (a couple of months after using the same line to do the upgrade.. which was never recorded as upgraded)

Cringey

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it still shows available upgrade since 2/2015 (on VZW and BB), if I order a $1 S6 online from BB would it reset the contract date as of today? or onactivation day (i really wouldn't want to activate it i think, i still have my Note4 i like for the sd card and battery)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii