Verizon grandfathered unlimited plan .vs. current unlimited plan.

A

AC Question

I still have my unlimited data plan with Verizon. One of the few who are still grandfathered in. The question is, should I drop it in favor of the current "unlimited" plan. The price difference is nearly $100. I don't yet see any issues with it short of the wifi hotspot limitation of 10gb/mo. I don't use that anyhow.

Any thoughts?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I still have my unlimited data plan with Verizon. One of the few who are still grandfathered in. The question is, should I drop it in favor of the current "unlimited" plan. The price difference is nearly $100. I don't yet see any issues with it short of the wifi hotspot limitation of 10gb/mo. I don't use that anyhow.

Any thoughts?
I'd say do it if you think it'll fit. The main question is.. how much data do you use a month?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Any thoughts?
How much data does each line currently use?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Since you are ok with the 10gb mhs, Are you worried about network optimization over 22gb? If not then I would switch.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Any thoughts?

I hear ya... I'm saving $70/mo and switched in Feb mid cycle and only paid $24 for the first month with all the refund.
I'm happy I did and not worrying about it. VZW will eventually kill off the old Unl Plans... so I'm glad I did it. Good look...

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I switched in early March, but also got a Pixel on the Device Payment Plan, I also moved a GoPhone over to my VZW plan, and reactivated a backup phone onto that line. I was spending close to $300 a month between VZW and GoPhone. I am saving about $80 a month.
I also have at least 22 GB of unthrottled data on the former GoPhone line, where before it was 6GB.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My note 3 is capable of HD but is restricted on Netflix by vzw to 720p. Tmobile limits quality in free streaming. Unlimited is like free streaming.

I called Netflix and they said max streamable signal in app is limited by provider. Note 3 720 Note 4 1080.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My note 3 is capable of HD but is restricted on Netflix by vzw to 720p. Tmobile limits quality in free streaming. Unlimited is like free streaming.

I called Netflix and they said max streamable signal in app is limited by provider. Note 3 720 Note 4 1080.
What settings are you using in the Netflix app?

Also, here's an article from 2016 that points out Netflix doing the throttling, not the carrier.
https://arstechnica.com/business/20...tt-and-verizon-to-keep-users-under-data-caps/

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What settings are you using in the Netflix app?

Also, here's an article from 2016 that points out Netflix doing the throttling, not the carrier.
https://arstechnica.com/business/20...tt-and-verizon-to-keep-users-under-data-caps/
Yes. Netflix admitted to me they do the throttling but at the request of provider. They even list which phones throttled and which not. When I got the Note 3 original unlimited was available and it was throttled. When VZW stopped selling udp the new phones were no longer throttled even if you had the og udp. Netflix would have no reason to throttle the n3 and not the n4. They were asked to do it by vzw so that is the reason for my question. There is a special video in netflix u can play that shows the actual numbers as you view but it is in 16/9. That is why I asked someone to check house of cards. It is broadcast in 2/1.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Netflix admitted to me they do the throttling but at the request of provider. They even list which phones throttled and which not. When I got the Note 3 original unlimited was available and it was throttled. When VZW stopped selling udp the new phones were no longer throttled even if you had the og udp. Netflix would have no reason to throttle the n3 and not the n4. They were asked to do it by vzw so that is the reason for my question. There is a special video in netflix u can play that shows the actual numbers as you view but it is in 16/9. That is why I asked someone to check house of cards. It is broadcast in 2/1.
Can you point me to where Verizon requested that Netflix throttle Netflix content? I can't find anything on that.

The only thing I can find is Netflix prrviously throttling AT&T and Verizon (but not T-Mobile and Sprint) because of data caps.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11302446/netflix-admits-throttling-video-att-verizon-customers

The reason: Netflix fears customers may stop using its service if streams gobble up too much of their monthly data, according to*The Wall Street Journal. However, the company positioned the move in a*blog post*as a tool for "avoiding unplanned fines from mobile providers."

"Verizon delivers video content at the resolution provided by the host service, whether that’s Netflix or any other provider," a Verizon spokesman told*WSJ.*

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can you point me to where Verizon requested that Netflix throttle Netflix content? I can't find anything on that.

The only thing I can find is Netflix prrviously throttling AT&T and Verizon (but not T-Mobile and Sprint) because of data caps.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11302446/netflix-admits-throttling-video-att-verizon-customers
Netflix TOLD me they do! Again. Netflix throttles at VZW request. THEY LIST the phones that are throttled. The Note 3 is throttled. The Note 5 is not. Why in the hell would Netflix on their own choose only certain models to throttle? It was as they said a request from VZW. I never denied the throttling is done at the Netflix end but only certain models are actually throttled at VZW request. I guessed it was due to old udp still being available for N3 but not for N5. I doubt Netflix throttles any of the new phones that are 1080p but how many people would actually notice if a phone capable of greater than 1080p were held to 1080p?I'm not claiming it is! I'm simply asking someone to test it for goodness sakes. Nobody ever advertised the N3 was throttled. I doubt many people even knew. 720p looked fine until you connect to a big monitor.

Now we're off topic so I'm done.

Back on topic I still have old UDP and it is cheaper so I doubt I will change. Don't want to pay an extra 18 a month.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Netflix TOLD me they do! Again. Netflix throttles at VZW request. THEY LIST the phones that are throttled. The Note 3 is throttled. The Note 5 is not. Why in the hell would Netflix on their own choose only certain models to throttle? It was as they said a request from VZW. I never denied the throttling is done at the Netflix end but only certain models are actually throttled at VZW request. I guessed it was due to old udp still being available for N3 but not for N5. I doubt Netflix throttles any of the new phones that are 1080p but how many people would actually notice if a phone capable of greater than 1080p were held to 1080p?I'm not claiming it is! I'm simply asking someone to test it for goodness sakes. Nobody ever advertised the N3 was throttled. I doubt many people even knew. 720p looked fine until you connect to a big monitor.

Back on topic I still have old UDP and it is cheaper so I doubt I will change. Don't want to pay an extra 18 a month.
Where can I find this Netflix throttle list?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Where can I find this Netflix throttle list?
I have the original link from 2015 in email from Netflix but it is no longer available. I can post it but they obviously took down the list after complaints like mine. Here is an article. confirming there IS a list and now Netflix is making it difficult to get. You might get access if you actually email them and ask for it. I will try. This article gives some insight anyway but I would prefer a list.

There is a video in Netflix called Example Short 23.976 that tells you the resolution your device is receiving. It will max out at the highest it will give you.

Last edited:

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site

I can think of many reasons for Netflix to throttle. They have limited bandwidth and cost concerns as well. Why over serve someone with 5 inch screen?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can think of many reasons for Netflix to throttle. They have limited bandwidth and cost concerns as well. Why over serve someone with 5 inch screen?
You miss my point. Why throttle Note 3 but NOT throttle Note 4.It is no mystery. Verizon told them to. Netflix rep told me so

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
You miss my point. Why throttle Note 3 but NOT throttle Note 4.It is no mystery. Verizon told them to. Netflix rep told me so
I believe you. But phone reps have been known to get things wrong. So were they only doing it only on unlimited plans? Otherwise why bother since they would more than make up for it on regular plans.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I believe you. But phone reps have been known to get things wrong. So were they only doing it only on unlimited plans? Otherwise why bother since they would more than make up for it on regular plans.
Netflix doesn't care. They did as they were told. Verizon is advertising new unlimited plan streams at 1080p but isn't s8 capable of 4k?ATT and Tmobile are 480p unless you pay an extra monthly fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress