Hot Spot, Jet Pack and MiFi Home Throttle by VZW (long)

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
After many years of holding onto my Legacy UDP I switched to the new Unlimited Plan, adding two Jetpacks on 3/3/17.

Service was great until 4/15/17 when my download speeds dropped to .62 Mbps on both Jetpacks and a MiFi/Home that I added on 4/16 to a new line as soon as it hit 10 GB.

According to VZW my OKC area throttle was rolled out on Sat 4/15 and they admit that I am only getting about 10% of what I should but can't figure out why.

Even had a VZW field tech at the house to verify signal strength.

So, at this point I have two Jetpacks that are not usable, I swapped a Note 3 onto one of the lines and the hot spot will connect to another device but won't connect to internet.

Scratching my head in Purcell, OK.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It makes sense that they throttle to 3G speeds once you get to 10 GB, but that should be on a per line basis, not across the account.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As stated above after 10 GB it will drop to 3G speeds for the rest of the cycle. The old unlimited plan is better if you do a ton of tethering.

I would try and get your old plan back if you can before it is too late.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It makes sense that they throttle to 3G speeds once you get to 10 GB, but that should be on a per line basis, not across the account.
To clarify, the first Jetpack line was at 48 GB, 2nd was at 10.2 GB, MiFi/Home was at 10 GB when it throttled.

The downloads speeds I'm getting are 1x not 3G.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's been some confusion with MiFis and the new Unlimited Plan. Some assumed they would follow the "de-prioritized after 22GB while on congested towers" but corporate has told people that MiFis would follow the "3G after 10GB" tethering rule.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried to return the Jetpacks on about 3/26 after VZ changed text on the Details page of the Data Hub on the My Verizon mobile app.

Under the listing for both JetPacks it always said "Unlimited" just like my phone lines. On that day they added another line in blue that said Speeds may be reduced after 10 GB"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also - 1x speeds would be up to 0.144 Mbps, likely 0.080.

EVDO 3G speeds would be up to 3.1 Mbps, likely .600 to 1.4 Mbps.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried to return the Jetpacks on about 3/26 after VZ changed text on the Details page of the Data Hub on the My Verizon mobile app.

Under the listing for both JetPacks it always said "Unlimited" just like my phone lines. On that day they added another line in blue that said "Speeds reduced after 10 GB", now it only says " Speeds reduced after 10 GB".

As stated above after 10 GB it will drop to 3G speeds for the rest of the cycle. The old unlimited plan is better if you do a ton of tethering.

I would try and get your old plan back if you can before it is too late.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Under the listing for both JetPacks it always said "Unlimited" just like my phone lines. On that day they added another line in blue that said Speeds may be reduced after 10 GB"
Yeah they were always supposed to have the 10 GB limit. Verizon didn't implement it right away but they fixed that.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also - 1x speeds would be up to 0.144 Mbps, likely 0.080.

EVDO 3G speeds would be up to 3.1 Mbps, likely .600 to 1.4 Mbps.
I think that you are right. Although I am really disappointed because I was expecting the 3G speeds that I got prior to going to the 4G Thunderbolt.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that you are right. Although I am really disappointed because I was expecting the 3G speeds that I got prior to going to the 4G Thunderbolt.

Verizon defines 3g down as 600kbps which is what you are getting.

27323f807904323ad66c5aa6131dac1f.jpg

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I can see now that I am indeed getting the 600 Kbps speed that VZW specifies as 3G and I want to thank you for the information.

I spent a week with approximately ten calls to VZW CSRs and Tech Support, two hours in the corporate store in Norman, OK and a home visit from from a VZW Field Tech.

In every contact I was treated with a professional and helpful attitude, unfortunately every person I talked to told me that I should get at least ten times the speed I am getting.

It did not help that for three weeks after giving up my two GUDP lines for the new UDP and signing two year contracts for two Jetpacks (after being told by the sales lady that that they would not be limited or throttled) the My Verizon Data Hub "details" page showed the Jetpacks simply as "Unlimited" the same as my phone lines. Then "Speeds reduced after 10 GB" in light blue appeared under the JetPacks and I called about returning the units and canceling the lines. Of course I was told it was too late.

So the next step is to try swapping phone numbers from the phones to the JetPack lines and cancel the two non contract lines.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can see now that I am indeed getting the 600 Kbps speed that VZW specifies as 3G and I want to thank you for the information.

I spent a week with approximately ten calls to VZW CSRs and Tech Support, two hours in the corporate store in Norman, OK and a home visit from from a VZW Field Tech.

In every contact I was treated with a professional and helpful attitude, unfortunately every person I talked to told me that I should get at least ten times the speed I am getting.

It did not help that for three weeks after giving up my two GUDP lines for the new UDP and signing two year contracts for two Jetpacks (after being told by the sales lady that that they would not be limited or throttled) the My Verizon Data Hub "details" page showed the Jetpacks simply as "Unlimited" the same as my phone lines. Then "Speeds reduced after 10 GB" in light blue appeared under the JetPacks and I called about returning the units and canceling the lines. Of course I was told it was too late.

So the next step is to try swapping phone numbers from the phones to the JetPack lines and cancel the two non contract lines.
Yeah the 10 GB wasn't implemented right away.. it was supposed to but Verizon messed up so many had unlimited hotspot for awhile. Verizon put the 10 GB into place now so that's probably why you saw the change.

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

It did not help that for three weeks after giving up my two GUDP lines for the new UDP and signing two year contracts for two Jetpacks (after being told by the sales lady that they would not be limited or throttled) the My Verizon Data Hub "details" page showed the Jetpacks simply as "Unlimited" the same as my phone lines. Then "Speeds reduced after 10 GB" in light blue appeared under the JetPacks and I called about returning the units and canceling the lines. Of course I was told it was too late.

Yeah the 10 GB wasn't implemented right away.. it was supposed to but Verizon messed up so many had unlimited hotspot for awhile. Verizon put the 10 GB into place now so that's probably why you saw the change.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

In the future, I would ask for written confirmation of the important terms that you need. Even if they don't have a publicly written policy, they can do a handwritten note and sign it, noting who they are. Or if they aren't willing to do that then i would ask them to say while you are recording, with their permission of course. If they refuse then personally i would do a lot more research before committing to an irreversible change.

Because I have been given inaccurate information too many times by reps. And naturally future reps while apologetic, aren't able to give me what the original reps promised

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
In the future, I would ask for written confirmation of the important terms that you need. Even if they don't have a publicly written policy, they can do a handwritten note and sign it, noting who they are. Or if they aren't willing to do that then i would ask them to say while you are recording, with their permission of course. If they refuse then personally i would do a lot more research before committing to an irreversible change.

Because I have been given inaccurate information too many times by reps. And naturally future reps while apologetic, aren't able to give me what the original reps promised

Definitely get it in writing!

Both Comcast and Verizon, with whom I've been with for many years, they are out for THEMSELVES. I just had to go head to head, toe to toe with Comcast. They are merciless and you have to be too.

Verizon is a little better. Comcast is the bottom of the barrel, horrible company!