Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default We have root and recovery

This thread is to summarize the current root process and the link to a custom recovery.

Root:
    The root is based on the new zergrush exploit.

First download the USB driver from the LG site. This is the driver for OV but it will work fine for OS.
    http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/...-Optimus-V.zip

Use the above USB driver instead of the LG Esteem driver and follow the instruction in this root instruction.

Once the process finishes, your phone should be rooted.

Recovery

Here is the link to a CWM recovery for OS made possible by BobZhome.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by csrow; 10-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Thanked by:
    jsngonz and oatflake like this.

Default Re: We have root and recovery

Quote Originally Posted by BobZhome View Post
    Why wait until next week...when you can have it now!
    Here is CWM v5.0.2.6 for the Slider: VS700_recovery.img

To install:
    1) Download the recovery to your sdcard
    2) Open Terminal
    3) Type in the following
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/VS700_recovery.img
    reboot recovery

This should install your new recovery, and reboot you into it.
    Thanks BobZhome and csrow!
    Google+ Devices: HTC Mogul, Touch, TP, TP2, Samsung Moment & Intercept, Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V & Slider, Nook, Iconia Tab, HTC Sensation

ROM
    CM9/10

I'll work on a CM7 rom, but I need a backup of a stock system.img. The one codyth53 got me is corrupt, I can't extract it. Make sure you thank codyth53, his boot.img help me make the CWM recovery
    Thanked by 3:
    jsngonz likes this.

ROM
    CM7 Tickerguy Edition

Damn, the LG Optimus Slider was released in stores not too long ago and codyth53 and BobZhome managed to install a custom recovery on it quickly. You guys are AWESOME! I have planned to sell my OV and purchase the OS this Friday and without you guys, I dont know what I would do because as we all know, custom ROMs are better than stock ROMs. This just made me more excited to get it! Cant wait! THANK YOU!!!

I'll work on a CM7 rom, but I need a backup of a stock system.img. The one codyth53 got me is corrupt, I can't extract it. Make sure you thank codyth53, his boot.img help me make the CWM recovery
    I kinda used Titanium to delete a couple of crappy apps. Can you still use an img from my phone?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by varpness View Post
    I kinda used Titanium to delete a couple of crappy apps. Can you still use an img from my phone?
    Missing apps will be fine. It will just have fewer .apk files.

I will have mine charged and rooted later tonight.. Do you need another IMG. file.. If so do you want any bloatware removed before I make the file.. Oh and thanks BobZhome!! I had the OV before this, and you and Blarf, Mrg666, JerryScript, made that phone worth a damn... Heres to getting the OS ported to CM7.1...

ROM
    CM9/10

Be sure to thank codyth53 again...he successfully got me a backup the I can use. I'll work on a CM7 port this weekend.
    Thanked by 2:
    csrowjsngonz 

ROM
    CM9/10

I renamed the recovery to VM701_recovery.img, it is still the same file just renamed. I made a mistake in naming it, because VM701 is the model number for the Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider and VS700 is the model number for the Sprint version. I don't want the Sprint people trying to flash this thinking it's for there phone.

csrow, can you edit your OP to reflex the correct model number...I do not wish to brick any phones.
    Thanks!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Bob, since your original instruction has been changed with the correct file name and the modified instruction, I just deleted my addition and left it pointing to your post. This will eliminate the double instruction.

Thanks.
    Last edited by csrow; 10-28-2011 at 03:54 PM.

ROM
    CM7 Tickerguy Edition

I had just purchased a OS yesterday and I just love the smell of new electronics! Very excited! Im also satisfied with its specs but I wanted to know if I am having a touchscreen malfunction. Every android device I have purchased had fluid movements while scrolling. After testing the device to make sure everything works well, I have noticed that scrolling is not fluid. While scrolling anything slowly, it seems to scroll in steps. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? And if this is normal, is this something resolved with a custom ROM and Kernel?

Back to the original topic - turns out this phone can be easily rooted under Mac OS X also. You don't need to install any drivers.

Just unpack the zip file and grab the su, busybox, SuperUser.apk, zergrush files and then type the commands you see in "run.bat" but substitute your path to the adb program in OS X terminal.

It works just fine!

ROM
    Team Hydro + Gingerkernel

im having an issue trying to install the custom recovery bob posted. i keep getting flash_image not found. cannot install flash_image through adb either because adb isn't found too! :/ any help?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    im having an issue trying to install the custom recovery bob posted. i keep getting flash_image not found. cannot install flash_image through adb either because adb isn't found too! :/ any help?
    If you are rooted,

1) Copy over the flash_image from your computer to SD card via USB drive.

2) Once you have both files on the SD card, go to the Market and download the Android Terminal Emulator app.

3) Run the terminal app from your OS and type in the command shown in the instruction.

Any progress on Cyanogen yet? Something we can do?

ROM
    CM9/10

I have had issues with my system, CM, and Slider Audio...still working on it.
    Can someone grab me the config.gz file and post it somewhere?
    It's located in /proc/config.gz
    Thanks!
    Thanked by:
    csrow 

Thanks!
    Here it is.
    MediaFire - config.gz
    Thanked by 3:
    jetteye likes this.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by csrow View Post
    If you are rooted,

1) Copy over the flash_image from your computer to SD card via USB drive.

2) Once you have both files on the SD card, go to the Market and download the Android Terminal Emulator app.

3) Run the terminal app from your OS and type in the command shown in the instruction.
    right, that's what i did. when i type in flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (i renamed it so i have less to type) i get "flash_image not found"

even typing in flash_image alone returns "flash_image not found"

i have tried manually installing flash_image too using adb, and adb isn't found either. :/

Thanks!
    Thanks buddy! Let us know if you need some testers.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    right, that's what i did. when i type in flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (i renamed it so i have less to type) i get "flash_image not found"

even typing in flash_image alone returns "flash_image not found"

i have tried manually installing flash_image too using adb, and adb isn't found either. :/
    You do not install flash_image. It's just an executable file. You just need to copy it over to your phone.

Make sure you follow all the commands listed in the instruction. You have to be in the System directory before you can run the flash_image since the instruction moves it there.

Follow the instruction exactly.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by csrow View Post
    You do not install flash_image. It's just an executable file. You just need to copy it over to your phone.

Make sure you follow all the commands listed in the instruction. You have to be in the System directory before you can run the flash_image since the instruction moves it there.

Follow the instruction exactly.
    oh, thank you. for some reason i was looking at different instructions when i tried the first time o.o

worked like a charm!

I just have a question, I have the new Straight Talk LG Optimus Q which is supposed to be the same as the VM LG Optimus Slider, I wonder if this proccess of rooting the OS will work on my Optimus Q, if anyone here thinks its too risky or its just the same phone so it should work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_One View Post
    I just have a question, I have the new Straight Talk LG Optimus Q which is supposed to be the same as the VM LG Optimus Slider, I wonder if this proccess of rooting the OS will work on my Optimus Q, if anyone here thinks its too risky or its just the same phone so it should work as well?
    If you are somewhat savvy with computers, you can take unzip the file and notice that it's made up of a bunch of execuables, and the first key step to rooting the phone is installing and running a program called "zergrush" on the phone.

Zergrush will tell you whether it has successfully been able to root your phone. There is no danger in running that by itself. It does nothing permanent to the phone; worst case it tells you wasn't successful and you don't have to do the rest of the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by oatflake View Post
    If you are somewhat savvy with computers, you can take unzip the file and notice that it's made up of a bunch of execuables, and the first key step to rooting the phone is installing and running a program called "zergrush" on the phone.

Zergrush will tell you whether it has successfully been able to root your phone. There is no danger in running that by itself. It does nothing permanent to the phone; worst case it tells you wasn't successful and you don't have to do the rest of the steps.
    Ok so I have tried the steps on the Link on my LG Optimus Q(from straight talk) and when I run the run.bat it says daemon not running. starting daemon. Daemon started successfully.
    And it stays there forever, I have my phone on debugging and and everything as the steps say.
    So I tried running the the run.bat twice simultaneously and it gets interesting it goes beyond the daemon started successfully but it says error: device not found. or error: protocol fault.

But the device IS plugged in.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_One View Post
    Ok so I have tried the steps on the Link on my LG Optimus Q(from straight talk) and when I run the run.bat it says daemon not running. starting daemon. Daemon started successfully.
    And it stays there forever, I have my phone on debugging and and everything as the steps say.
    So I tried running the the run.bat twice simultaneously and it gets interesting it goes beyond the daemon started successfully but it says error: device not found. or error: protocol fault.

But the device IS plugged in.
    Any ideas?
    So, just some background - this root exploit works by basically copying a bunch of files onto your phone and then running them. The way it does this is with a free program called Android Debug Bridge, which is what "adb" stands for. On Windows, adb requires that you have the appropriate drives installed which are compatible with your phone, and the phone itself has to be set configured to allow the adb program to talk to it. On the phone, that setting is:

Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging (checked)

After you have the phone setup that way, and you've connected your phone, you need to make sure that adb is capable of talking to your phone.

The root exploit itself comes with a tiny version of adb and associated libraries; if you go into the command prompt and type "adb shell" you should see something that looks like a dollar sign ($). You can then type linux-like commands like "ls" and "exit". If you are unable to do those things, then the whole run.bat won't work because it depends on adb to be able to run commands on your phone.

If you can't get adb to work, it's most likely that the drivers you have are not working for your phone.

FYI, I did this on a Macintosh by running each of the adb commands in run.bat by hand; the Mac has the drivers built-in which are compatible with the LG Optimus Slider, so if you have access to someone's Mac you might want to try that there. There is also adb for linux, and that might be easier if you prefer doing it that way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast