I WAS rooted and all was good, then something happened

trfost

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
What went wrong?? not too sure. BUT....I somehow/someway believe i got unrooted. Used root checker app and it told me sorry! you are not rooted, but i still have that black SuperUser app in my app drawer. Didn't think i could have it on my phone without root.
Phone is still up and running good (calls/texts/web...) however: MY HOME BUTTON DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE AND I HAVE TO MANUALLY HIT THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN OFF SCREEN EVERY TIME.
Also, in the past few days i eventually formatted my sd card to clean things up and start fresh...
any takers on what i did? or how (if possible) to root a second time? maybe with some other way besides SuperOneClick?

any takers to help my dilemma? :confused:

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What went wrong?? not too sure. BUT....I somehow/someway believe i got unrooted. Used root checker app and it told me sorry! you are not rooted, but i still have that black SuperUser app in my app drawer. Didn't think i could have it on my phone without root.
Phone is still up and running good (calls/texts/web...) however: MY HOME BUTTON DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE AND I HAVE TO MANUALLY HIT THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN OFF SCREEN EVERY TIME.
Also, in the past few days i eventually formatted my sd card to clean things up and start fresh...
any takers on what i did? or how (if possible) to root a second time? maybe with some other way besides SuperOneClick?

any takers to help my dilemma? :confused:

It is possible that you got superuser installed on the phone but that the root didn't stick. You can just try to run it again. Superuser can be installed on a non rooted phone and just not do anything. Superuser isn't the actual root, it's basically the communication between the root and the system. Try that again. When you open root checker, if it works, you will see a pop up that says app is requesting superuser permission. If that doesn't work, here is another option: http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...how-root-custom-recovery-nandroid-backup.html

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh and also, it doesn't sound like anything you did wrong. Superoneclick can be kinda hairy sometimes. Takes 2 or 3 times of running it to get it to work for some people

trfost

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I re-ran the SuperOneClick a few more times... says I am rooted and to 'enjoy' lol
but I don't think it worked because SuperUser still doesn't function.
Then I went through that 2nd way for root... added the files to my computer then to sandisc etc.etc. still nothing. The app 'root checker' still says "sorry, device is not rooted"

I just would like to figure out if I can get my HOME button to work again. grrrr

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I re-ran the SuperOneClick a few more times... says I am rooted and to 'enjoy' lol
but I don't think it worked because SuperUser still doesn't function.
Then I went through that 2nd way for root... added the files to my computer then to sandisc etc.etc. still nothing. The app 'root checker' still says "sorry, device is not rooted"

I just would like to figure out if I can get my HOME button to work again. grrrr

We'll get ya there. Go into settings, scroll down to about phone and open that. Then look for android version. 3 digits 2.x.x which version are you running?

trfost

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Im running Gingerbread (i believe i still am) 2.3.4

kernel version 2.6.35.7+ build#2

base version zv4_6170

if those help.. lol

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
okay at the bottom of the first paragraph there is a file that says LG_Esteem_Root.zip. This apparently works for for the slider on 2.3.4. You wanna unzip the file, and then find run inseide and click that. You wanna double check that usb debugging is enabled.

trfost

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I just did that again ( i have done that a couple times prior by reading through some other threads) Still nothing to make my home button function. I even did a few events that i have read up on which includes downloading the terminal emulator, but every time i click the run(.bat) not a damn thing happens. So... would that mean that my phone IS rooted? I have been messing around with my phone so much (having fun but...) I'm just glad/surprised that i can still make and receive calls and texts!! haha

What is a sure way to know if i am in root or not.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just did that again ( i have done that a couple times prior by reading through some other threads) Still nothing to make my home button function. I even did a few events that i have read up on which includes downloading the terminal emulator, but every time i click the run(.bat) not a damn thing happens. So... would that mean that my phone IS rooted? I have been messing around with my phone so much (having fun but...) I'm just glad/surprised that i can still make and receive calls and texts!! haha

What is a sure way to know if i am in root or not.

Go to the app store and get root checker. Run that.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Go to the app store and get root checker. Run that. I know I said that before, but if you run that and you aren't prompted for superuser permission, then you're not rooted. It is possible to have the superuser app there and not be rooted. Superuser isn't what makes the phone rooted, it's what controls what accesses the root