Okay, I need some help... Lots of questions about installing roms

ThisisSpencerPaul

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for my nubbishness, I'm new to the whole concept of rooting. I'm dumbfounded when it comes to installing a new ROM. I used a Gingerbreak on my LG optimus V last night, Worked fine. All rooting features are perfect. Now for the rom part, I just downloaded a "Bumblebee" Rom so that I could overclock my phone, Due to Bumblebee having a Kernal which allows you to do so. It's a zip file and I was wondering if I'm using the app "Rom Manager" (Not premium because the apk file wouldn't download to my phone:'() do I unzip the Rom folder? Where do I put it in order to use Rom Manager's convienient Install and flash rom feature? Well, Hopefully there is a little hope there for this noob :p

Thanks everyone,
Spencer

EDIT: Nevermind, I just took my chances with the .Zip and grew some hair on my peaches, Installation was a success.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Okay, I need some help... Lots of questions about installing

There is some sticky posts in the rom, hacks section that will help you do what you want.
Dont rely on rom manager to install the ROM for you . Manually flashing the rom is your best bet.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...guide-optimus-v-modding-read-get-started.html

Everything you need to know can be found in that thread.
Please read that thread throughly and ask any questions in it. You will find pretty much anything you need to know about what you want to do in there.

Welcome to android and Android Central.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site

Ya get away from rom manager and flash in recovery next time. To get to recovery, power down your phone then power back up holding power+volume down+home key and release when you see the LG logo. Your then going to want to wipe data, cache, and go to advanced and wipe dalvik. Then go to mounts and storage and format boot,cache,data, and systems. Then go back to main and click flash file from zip> chose file from zip. Find where you placed the rom (and gapps if applicable) [anywhere on the SD card will do] flash the rom first, then gapps. Then reboot into ur rom!

Btw volume rockers navigation in recovery with the options button (far left bottom) to select
Hope this helps you in the future! O and btw make sure if your not allready you flash a custom recovery like xiona.

anon(365490)

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm a recent (this morning) ROM flasher, spend some time reading the sticky's - drop ROM Manager (as noted above), and, above all - make a backup before you wipe & flash anything. I wouldn't do mine until I was comfortable with the whole process, and, knew I could recover.
My main reason was to remove the bloat, and, get more control over my phone.

yogi4

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER!! It is not compatable with the 'V'. I would advise using ROMTools. It will install the windows drivers and flash the Xionia vm recovery for you. And by all means... read, read and read some more and don't forget to backup.... very important to back up before flashing a ROM.
Do not unzip a rom. It has to be flashed as a zip file. Good luck and crpeck has it right when he stated he didn't do anything until he was comfortable doing it. I read and read for over a week before I rooted and flashed. Good luck!! :D

Edit: I just seen your update. I'm glad you took the plunge. There are plenty of ROMs to test.

Last edited:

fstmstngs

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Speaking of testing ROM's... I'm currently using BB. If I wanted to try a different ROM, would I have to do another backup from Recovery, wipe, then install the ROM? Or do you do a backup from Recovery once (from rooted stock ROM) before flashing your first ROM so that you can restore if things get messed up?!? I used a separate sd card to backup and flash, then stashed it somewhere safe. And... When I installed the Recovery, did it backup the original "stock" recovery? I seem to remember renaming something to recovery.bak (or something similar to that). I did look at the guides... Just didn't see an answer to these.

Thanks!

Noobie Mike