Hotspot

verzilli

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all.

New on the forum. Thinking about an Optimus V on Virgin. Two questions:

GPS work well? And...

Can I create a wifi hotspot if it is Android 2.2.2? Thanks for any info.

Dave

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
He forgot to say it will only work on phones with the unlimited everything plans tho. Virgin sends a message to phones on the other plans and blocks the hotspot function.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
virgin mobile is no longer offering unlimited data. they will slow your speeds at 2.5 GB and you will be reduced to really bad speeds for the remainder of your month.

dont tether, youll be doing the rest of us a favor.

other than that, the GPS on the V has a really quick lock and tracks very accurately. I use my phone as my navigator and its worked where others have failed, big cities, tall buildings, tree interference. I drive all around LA from downtown to the beaches to the mountains and ive never had a problem with the OVs GPS.

I've seen other phones lose gps signal multiple times during a drive, sometimes when near tall buildings and othertimes for seemingly no reason. the V doesnt seem to have these problems as often

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The V is a GPS Master. It definitely locks faster than my wife's Garmin, and my OV is always updated with new maps (for free) while the Garmin hasn't been updated in 2 years because it costs 50 bucks an update. I love the OV.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
How does not tethering help other people? I pay for 2.5 gigs and i am gonna use them how I please. I wouldnt uuse it for daily streaming of netflix but for occasional surfing it is ggreat. The fact that it uses your data is kind of common sense isn't it?

If you feel you should pay for tethering then do it, but I love my simple gingerbreak root and "quick settings" app for all kkinds of settings including wifi hotspot. Heck, openness and tinkering is why I am on android and not ios or winphone7.

The gps is great. Google maps works weel but I prefer copilot so my maps don't rely on cell reception. This gps llocks faster and more accurately than my fascinate or my wife's droidx.

verzilli

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Lots of good input.

I would only use the hotspot VERY occasionally with my tablet. When not in a hot spot area, use it to respond to a long email, etc. In times past when I used it on Verizon, I think I maxed out at about 80 MB for the month...which is, I think .08 Gigs?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Lots of good input.

I would only use the hotspot VERY occasionally with my tablet. When not in a hot spot area, use it to respond to a long email, etc. In times past when I used it on Verizon, I think I maxed out at about 80 MB for the month...which is, I think .08 Gigs?

That would be .008 gigs as 1000MB =1GB

---
- Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Nope. 0.008 gigs would be 8 thousandths or 8mb. 80 mb would be 0.08 gigs.

Or take 80mb and divide by 1000 (the number of megs in a gig) and you will get 0.08

Yeah for math! Yeah for me!

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
OK back the op's actual question

@verzilli if you have good virgin coverage in your area and can handle a smaller screen the optimus is absolutely a solid device, just do not expect the performance of a dual core device with a gig of ram aand this device will not let you down. The biggest down side is the limit of space on the device for apps but apps2sd or link2sd (my favorite) will fix that by putting them on the msd card.

As is said above GPS works great as does wifi tethering.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Nope. 0.008 gigs would be 8 thousandths or 8mb. 80 mb would be 0.08 gigs.

Or take 80mb and divide by 1000 (the number of megs in a gig) and you will get 0.08

Yeah for math! Yeah for me!

I stand corrected. I Guess I'm mixing up my bits and bytes again.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

verzilli

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. And all the math was so exciting! A 1000th here and a 1000th there, and before you know it, you're talking some megabytes!

@mknollman, yes, not expecting a whoopdie doo experience. Just looking for something solid and inexpensive...which everyone has said it is.

Advantageinv

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlimited data plan and constantly tether, in fact, that was the sole reason for getting the phone. No slowdowns, just have to watch the temp. I installed setcpu and throttled it down quite a bit and it stays much cooler. Don't neet a lot of CPU for hotspot tether.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlimited data plan and constantly tether, in fact, that was the sole reason for getting the phone. No slowdowns, just have to watch the temp. I installed setcpu and throttled it down quite a bit and it stays much cooler. Don't neet a lot of CPU for hotspot tether.

People like this give us the caps...

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87