T-mobile $30 Unlimited data, Text, 100Min Voice

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I see your screenshot showing edge, but those cannot be edge speeds...

Yeah, what is the deal with that.

To camf, You took two speed readings, obviously in 4G (I assume) then 3 minutes later you viewed them, but you only had 1 bar of Edge. Where were you when you did the speedtests, and where did you go to look at them that you suddenly were on 1 bar of Edge 3 minutes later?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter what your 4g speeds are.

Do you really need a 4g connection for 100 megs?
At full speed, it's only going to take about 15 SECONDS to use your entire 100meg allotment then you are stuck with edge speeds the rest of the month. On smaller files, you won't notice much difference between 3g and 4g except once you cross that 100meg threshold and they throttle you into oblivion.

Think about this, Google maps is 5 megs to download, and that is before you download maps, which aren't that small. A non optimized web page can top 1 meg, and some gifs break 5 megs. Telenav is 10 megs (I think) and can suck up 35megs before you even move. Trapster is a 3 meg download and can suck down 15 megs of data over a short time of use.

I would much rather have a slower 3g connection for a lot longer.

camf3xu

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, what is the deal with that.

To camf, You took two speed readings, obviously in 4G (I assume) then 3 minutes later you viewed them, but you only had 1 bar of Edge. Where were you when you did the speedtests, and where did you go to look at them that you suddenly were on 1 bar of Edge 3 minutes later?

upstairs when i ran speed test and yes it was 4g. went in my basement when i took the screen shot.

Doesn't matter what your 4g speeds are.

Do you really need a 4g connection for 100 megs?
At full speed, it's only going to take about 15 SECONDS to use your entire 100meg allotment then you are stuck with edge speeds the rest of the month. On smaller files, you won't notice much difference between 3g and 4g except once you cross that 100meg threshold and they throttle you into oblivion.

Think about this, Google maps is 5 megs to download, and that is before you download maps, which aren't that small. A non optimized web page can top 1 meg, and some gifs break 5 megs. Telenav is 10 megs (I think) and can suck up 35megs before you even move. Trapster is a 3 meg download and can suck down 15 megs of data over a short time of use.

I would much rather have a slower 3g connection for a lot longer.

and its not 100 megs its 5gb 4g. plus the best i got in my area with virgin was 100kb

PLUS the cell service isnt even comparable. blows my virgin connections out of the water.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it's really going to depend on what people's cell quality is on VM before you make the switch. I for one get great service when I'm not in my room (in the basement) so I wouldn't pay more for the t mobile plan unless we no longer had internet at my house

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm most likely going to give this plan ($30 100min) a shot after I see a few reviews on the new Exhibit II 4G.

I'll basically cart around my Optimus V and the new Exhibit for about two weeks and compare them head to head. Coverage in my area, 4g versus 3g speeds, and where I actually get 4g with T- Mobile. I'm not sure how helpful it will be to people who don't live in my area, but I will definitely post the results that I find.

I'll also be extensively testing groove ip and google voice over 4G. I'm hoping to have good results with that.

Sent via VM670

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to all your test results. Not that I plan on switching anytime soon, but it'd be nice to know about other options.

ryuusei94

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm most likely going to give this plan ($30 100min) a shot after I see a few reviews on the new Exhibit II 4G.

I'll basically cart around my Optimus V and the new Exhibit for about two weeks and compare them head to head. Coverage in my area, 4g versus 3g speeds, and where I actually get 4g with T- Mobile. I'm not sure how helpful it will be to people who don't live in my area, but I will definitely post the results that I find.

I'll also be extensively testing groove ip and google voice over 4G. I'm hoping to have good results with that.

Sent via VM670

The exhibit 2 4G looks promising. Virgins optimus slider isn't worth the money. If i wanted to pay $199 for a slide out keybored. I'd get the indulge from MetroPCS. Now. If i come across an extra $199. I'd get the exhibit 2 4G.

Sent From My LG-VM670 Running The Harmonia 1.6 Edify Rom.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Oops, I was thinking of the other plan.

That 100MB plan is pretty criminal IMO. Almost makes me question T-Mobile's ethics. You explained why quite well in another thread I think. The fact that anyone would burn thru the 100MB in minutes. The 4G is nothing but bait when it comes to that plan. I hate how inconsistent TM is with Data when it comes to their lineup of Monthly4G plans. That's where They could learn from VM. VM's plan specs are easy to understand and very linear. No fine print.

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I had to jump in as soon as I read about it. I grabbed myself a nice myTouch4g, activated it and are running all nice and smooth sailing at 4G speeds.

I had an awesome run with the Optimus V, now it will move inside the family to someone else.

Virgin Mobile :D
LG :D

Kudos to such a great company, but it's time to move on!

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I had to jump in as soon as I read about it. I grabbed myself a nice myTouch4g, activated it and are running all nice and smooth sailing at 4G speeds.

I had an awesome run with the Optimus V, now it will move inside the family to someone else.

Virgin Mobile :D
LG :D

Kudos to such a great company, but it's time to move on!

Nice. I've been eyeing LG G2x's on eBay today, but I'm holding out for a bargain.

I also went to Walmart today in the off chance that they'd actually have the Exhibit II 4G today (like they are supposed to have). I wasn't shocked to find the person behind the cellphone counter had no idea what I was talking about it. She didn't seem to even know what T-Mobile was. She said she'd look in the back, and told me no, no T-Mobile phones. Oh well.

Well, good luck on TM!

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Nice. I've been eyeing LG G2x's on eBay today, but I'm holding out for a bargain.

I also went to Walmart today in the off chance that they'd actually have the Exhibit II 4G today (like they are supposed to have). I wasn't shocked to find the person behind the cellphone counter had no idea what I was talking about it. She didn't seem to even know what T-Mobile was. She said she'd look in the back, and told me no, no T-Mobile phones. Oh well.

Well, good luck on TM!

They had it in stock at my local Walmart in Collierville,TN. They also had the TM $30 plan advertised as a Walmart exclusive.

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Well, good luck on TM!

I really wanted to get a G2x and I spent several days looking around, but they were upwards of $350 used from shady sellers. After a while, the MT4g I bought came up on eBay Used but in PERFECT condition for $215 from a seller with 7000+ reputation [$75 cheaper than the triumph, LOL] and I had it shipped overnight for $15 [ I'm an impatient SoB, lol]. Came in this morning with my activation kit, activated it on the $30 5GB Data plan, put in my 16GB SD, bought GrooveIP & gV to make up for the lack of minutes, installed all my apps from Amazon & AppMonster Backup and it's been running like a charm on the HSPA+ network. It runs so nice I might not even root it.

I have my Otterbox coming in from Amazon tomorrow [$20 on sale :cool:] and i cut up my TouchPad screen protector to fit the phone :D

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I decided to skip on the Exhibit and just get the G2x. Picked up a new/sealed one on eBay tonight, along with a prepaid SIM from Amazon. Looks like I'll be testing out the new $30 plan soon enough!

redhat#AC

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
i typed a really long reply and went to grab the mouse to click the send button and my thumb hit the back button :/ awsome....
anyhoo just got an HTC HD2 in, already got cm7 running on it, ordered the sim from amazon, i will update when i get the sim and activate :)

ryuusei94

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I Ordered My Sim Card Today. Should Arrive Between The 3rd & 7th Nov. My Cousin Gave Me The Htc G1 ( Dream ) And i'm Wondering If It Will Get 3G From T-mobile. Or The EDGE Speed. Do I Have To Muster Up $80 Bucks For The Mytouch 3G Slide. or No ? o.o

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87