Republic Wireless has GingerBread Optimus V

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
There's a workaround for this. Just set your VM outgoing greeting to a minute long (I just use recorded music), GV will keep ringing and your VM voicemail should never pick up if someone calls your GV number.

I could do that lol eh I'm okay with it now. VM doesn't get my voicemails so we're all good

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I could do that lol eh I'm okay with it now. VM doesn't get my voicemails so we're all good

Most of the time it used to work for me too, but occasionally if my cellphone doesn't get a good signal or is in airplane mode, the VM voicemail automatically picks up, so that confuses the caller. Now I get consistent GV voicemail, as if VM's voicemail is disabled.

skealoha86

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Just a followup - I emailed republic wireless support about voicemail and this was their response:

Unanswered calls will go to your voicemail. You can forward incoming calls, but you will not be able to point unanswered calls to another number.

So if you're ok with voicemail on VMO with Google Voice, it will work the same way, presumably.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It probably helps that I don't give out my virgin mobile number to really anyone lol

I don't either. You don't have to give out virgin # for some people to reach its voicemail. When they call your google voice number, it rings your virgin #, if your cell is not in range (or airplane mode, or off), the virgin voicemail picks up. But the workaround of having a long greeting message tricks the GV system to think that nobody has picked up actually yet, so it doesn't transfer the caller over to the voicemail until the actual beep. By having a long greeting, GV will keep ringing and eventually transfer to its own Voicemail.

The simple answer on other carriers is to disable the cell's voicemail and let GV voicemail handle it, but Virgin can't disable voicemail for some reason. Or it forwards to an invalid # if the cell is out of range instead of transferring to GV's voicemail.

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone to show my grandfather replays of foot ball games when i visit him.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

True about video streaming. I have no issue streaming video through 3G (it's not exactly high def but it doesn't really need to be either). I'd imagine if you get throttled then it could pose a problem with such a thing.

But still - just seems silly to me to even be streaming video constantly if you're not in a wifi zone.

tnlobo420

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Personally I can't wait for my Optimus T from Republic. I get such a poor signal (any carrier) at home, wifi is the only way to go for me. Now I have 2 Opt T-one sim for t-mob and i sim for Sprint. For me it seems "too good to be true". I've never had to unlock a phone - in order to get my T-mob Optimus-T to work with Republic (Sprint), I imagine (once I clone and install gingerbreak), I have to do more than just change the sim - unlock code ????

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
the optimus t won't work on sprint's network. T-mobile uses GSM, Sprint uses CDMA. it'll work with republic over wifi but if they use sprints towers then it's not gonna work

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
But back on topic here for a moment ... has anyone figured out if thus is running pure gingerbread or a variant of CM7?

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V

bswann

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
But back on topic here for a moment ... has anyone figured out if thus is running pure gingerbread or a variant of CM7?

Tapatalkin it from my IHO CM7.1'd, ICS Themed Optimus V
It is running pure GB except for the app that Republic uses for their wifi calling. This is the reason I started this thread but somehow that point got lost in the discussion.

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The real question is whether or not their app will work on a rooted OV. Because someone should totally get this phone, and then strip everything out from it so we can get real GB drivers for the OV.

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It is running pure GB except for the app that Republic uses for their wifi calling. This is the reason I started this thread but somehow that point got lost in the discussion.

Where did you get the idea it was running pure GB? According to this report, it's running CM7, probably an IHO variant. So not likely LG has new device drivers for it, but just old drivers with IHO running on the same HW as ours.

[Updated] Republic Wireless' Optimus One Gets Its First Unboxing, And It Looks To Be Running CM7

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt it has IHO or even CM at all on it.
If it does, they are pretty foolish (or a couple college kids running it out of their dorm room) and you may as well expect absolutely ZERO support. They won't be around long if that is the case. I like IHO, but it's too unstable from one release to the next. Most problems are fixed, but it's a new minor problem every time. Second of all LG will not support it, so if you or they have an issue, oops, sorry.

Second, I HIGHLY doubt it's a simple app that can be easily be uninstalled. The phone system itself defaults to wireless, if all they did was install what amounts to a Skype app, users are not going to like that. Not to mention what it will do to the battery.

Update:
After watching the video on the link above, I would caution anyone even thinking about this service. I really don't expect them to last long, they seem extremely small. Reused boxes and hand written phone numbers = hole in the wall operation. And yes, it does look like CM7, my comments regarding that still stands. The app however may be possible, which just means you should be even more wary.

Last edited:

jdcnosse

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Come to find out, this is not a CDMA phone, so it's almost defitnitely not built from IHO. ;)

How will it run on "Sprint's" towers then? lol

I went to their site and the phone on the main page they show isn't an Optimus V...the buttons aren't in the right order.

Also, according to this arcticle on PCMag it'll use the Optimus S, and they haven't yet figured out how to soft-handle the calls from wifi to the cell network. lol

It also says that it's parent company is the same one that handles the backbone services for Skype and Google Voice, among others.

article: Republic Wireless: It's All About Wi-Fi | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

tnlobo420

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
supposed to be Optimus with 2.33 - getting mine 22Dec - we will see - Optimus is cdma/gsm and Sprint is CDMA

"The service is currently in limited beta and Republic Wireless only offers the LG Optimus. You can't transfer your existing handset, either. The company plans to add more phones in the future (send recommendations to yourvoice@republicwireless.com). The Optimus along with your first month of service will cost $199 plus tax, which is refundable for 30 days. Subsequent months are only $19."

http://www.techspot.com/news/46184-...rvice-no-contracts-or-overages-for-19-mo.html

46184-new-carrier-offers-unlimited-service-no-contracts-or-overages-for-19-mo.html

"Our first phone

Your $199 start-up fee includes an LG Optimus phone with Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" and Hybrid Calling. Looking for more? Sign up below to keep tabs on our product roadmap."

Last edited: