Do Mint Mobile and/or Tello use wi-fi when available?

cgl102770

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I set my mom up with Republic Wireless years ago since she needed a phone but doesn't use it much. Now that Republic is merging with Boost, I'm trying to see if there's any better deals out there. It looks like both Mint and Tello say they use wifi calling when available, does that mean they also use wi-fi for web browsing on the phone? It does for Replublic but just wanted to make sure, thank you for any info.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I moved this from the Android & Tech Deals forum ot the General Carrier Discussion forum.

If a phone has a wi-fi connection, it will always use that for web services as long as there's a good signal. Mobile data would be used as a backup in that situation.

Reactions: J Dubbs

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I set my mom up with Republic Wireless years ago since she needed a phone but doesn't use it much. Now that Republic is merging with Boost, I'm trying to see if there's any better deals out there. It looks like both Mint and Tello say they use wifi calling when available, does that mean they also use wi-fi for web browsing on the phone? It does for Replublic but just wanted to make sure, thank you for any info.
What Diddy said for web browsing is true. For calls, there's an option to set the "preferred" priority to be either wifi first or carrier first. I use carrier as first priority and wifi as backup in case the cell signal is weak, but either should work well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What Diddy said for web browsing is true. For calls, there's an option to set the "preferred" priority to be either wifi first or carrier first. I use carrier as first priority and wifi as backup in case the cell signal is weak, but either should work well.
Agreed. I also set the priority to be the carrier signal, since wi-fi at my workplace is notoriously lousy, and that can impact wi-fi calling.

Reactions: J Dubbs