Video is sideways-how do I fix it?

gale

May 10, 2011
Visit site
When I put video on the computer it's sideways. I guess I need to remember to hold my phone sideways when I record? At any rate, is there any way to fix what I've got and make it the right orientation? thanks :)

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
When I put video on the computer it's sideways. I guess I need to remember to hold my phone sideways when I record? At any rate, is there any way to fix what I've got and make it the right orientation? thanks :)

Yeah holding it correctly would help:p
There's probably some simple video edit ting software like windows movie maker that is capable of changing the orientation.

Kathleen Wolverton

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I was looking for an answer to this as well. If the camera is being held incorrectly, then why do all the videos upload onto social media sites correctly, but flip sideways on the computer? I'm sorry, but this answer is illogical. Does anyone have a better answer?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It's the way there developed and set up. To automatically correct some of the most common mistakes people make.
This allows for a better experience on these site.
Microsoft is developed to make money thru your mistakes, and lack of knowledge in how to make things work properly (got to buy more software to get individual things to work as they should).
Thankfully there are those who develop software that's free to counter act Microsofts money making scheem.

I only use Windows for those programs that are specifically developed for Windows. I don't use the security swiss cheese Windows for Internet, instead I use a Linux Distro (no antivirus or malware programs needed)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

countys32

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
What? how was that a good answer? I want to hold may camera length ways its the most natural way of holding it and all my previous phones had no problem with video playback when i recored it this way, does anyone know how to fix thats without having to upload it to a video editor?

Karen Cook

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Gale this may be old, but I did not find the answer so I researched and found that if you upload to your you tube cannel it has a rotators fix .

salwc2k

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Brian, that helped me solve why my photos are always sideways when I download them but there is no portrait/landscape setting for videos so
guess i'll to download roxio or some other video editing software to do video conversions. Thanks again.

Ken Young

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I just experienced this problem with my new android RAZR. And I accidentally discovered the fix for it. If you're holding the phone sideways to get a "widescreen" film, then flip the phone 180 degrees. In my case that meant rotating it so the volume buttons on on the bottom edge, and not the top. So far every video has filmed correctly doing this.

ricgal

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
On my LG G3 there is a button for "rotation". When the button is on, the phone automatically rotates. When it is off, it stays in portrait mode.

Sherrance

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
The easiest solution is to turn off Auto Rotate in your phone settings. Try it! Sure you can convert the videos in many programs but it is time consuming.

fletcher969

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I just experienced this problem with my new android RAZR. And I accidentally discovered the fix for it. If you're holding the phone sideways to get a "widescreen" film, then flip the phone 180 degrees. In my case that meant rotating it so the volume buttons on on the bottom edge, and not the top. So far every video has filmed correctly doing this.

I realize I'm bumping an old thread, and quoting a nearly-4 year old comment, but nobody acknowledged the solution Ken offered above which was for me the most elegant of those offered in this thread. Works on my Droid Turbo with Lollipop and the stock camera app. It's much easier than sorting through Android settings to toggle landscape/auto-rotate off before and back on after recording a video, and it's far better a solution than uploading to a computer to edit the video's orientation (which is what I was doing at one point). I did what Ken suggested, turned the camera to an "upside down landscape" orientation, and like magic the replay orientation was a perfect right-side up landscape on both my camera and my computer. No video editing, and no toggling of settings.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699