Help rooting Optimus V

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Moved this to the rooting section. Rooting questions get better responses here :p

Give us more details on z4root not working? What do you mean it didn't work? Any errors, messages, toasts, anything? When you say it didn't work, did you have USB debugging on? Did it even install?

I'd need more (read, as much) detail before I'd even venture a guess.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Lurker here. Picked up my optimus v a couple of days ago from Target. Also interested in rooting.

z4root installs just fine, but both the temporary and permanent root options do not work for me. The phone just stays at the "running exploit screen" forever. Other have reported that z4root runs to completion, but upon rebooting they still don't have root. I never see an error message in my case.

I also tried uploading busybox, su, and rageagainstthecage manually and rooting that way. Everything executes ok, the adb sessions ends, the phone disconnects and reconnects, but once you run adb shell again, you still have the $ prompt, and no root. No error messages appear.

In both cases I made sure USB debugging was enabled. I haven't tried superoneclick yet, but according to what I've read from others it doesn't work either. I'll download and try it anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Lurker here. Picked up my optimus v a couple of days ago from Target. Also interested in rooting.

z4root installs just fine, but both the temporary and permanent root options do not work for me. The phone just stays at the "running exploit screen" forever. Other have reported that z4root runs to completion, but upon rebooting they still don't have root. I never see an error message in my case.

I also tried uploading busybox, su, and rageagainstthecage manually and rooting that way. Everything executes ok, the adb sessions ends, the phone disconnects and reconnects, but once you run adb shell again, you still have the $ prompt, and no root. No error messages appear.

In both cases I made sure USB debugging was enabled. I haven't tried superoneclick yet, but according to what I've read from others it doesn't work either. I'll download and try it anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Exactly this. Z4root installs, and runs all the way through completion. It said its supposed to reboot phone when completed, it finishes running and closes with no reboot.

Superoneclick is a no. Tried all options and it just hangs on perm root with either exploit, and root shell says it gives me temp with both exploits but still $ in terminal instead of #.

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Exactly this. Z4root installs, and runs all the way through completion. It said its supposed to reboot phone when completed, it finishes running and closes with no reboot.

Superoneclick is a no. Tried all options and it just hangs on perm root with either exploit, and root shell says it gives me temp with both exploits but still $ in terminal instead of #.

If rootshell says it gives a temp root, try to run z4root immediately after rootshell grants the temp root. May or may not work, when I rooted my S I used z4root. I had to get temp root before it would execute the permanent root.

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Trying this now. Having trouble getting rootshell to work now. Just keeps looping.

Update: got temp. no luck with z4root after that. Its hanging on perm root in oneclick at Reading OS Version Properties.

Last edited:

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
After doing rootshell with superoneclick using psneuter I can see that I have root access via cmd and adb shell (I see the # and can browse the data directory without complaint), but I don't have root access on the phone itself. Anything I should edit or try moving around?

EDIT: Seems it don't have full permission after all. Tried adb push to the sdcard and running su, but got permission denied.

Last edited:

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Me want teh rootz. Keep posted with any ideas, I'll be out all day but still with Tapatalk.

Have you tried the adb method once it says you have the temp root? You may have to wait a few days for someone to crack it, sounds like they blocked the exploit :(

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so after adb shell and mounting the system directory (according to the typical optimus s directions), I was able to exit shell, and then adb push su and busybox into the system/bin directory, and chmod them so I can run both. I can verify this by running them from the terminal emulator on the phone. Next steps? I should be able to use su to give myself root access, correct?

cordell

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Go to market and install superuser. Then you can install Titanium BackUp and it can/will download busybox for you, if you have root. Titanium Backup checks for root right away.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Got it! Root Access granted.

Steps to reproduce:
Use superonceclick to get temp adb root
cmd adb shell
mount /system
exit
adb push busybox and su to system/bin
adb shell
chmod su and busybox
exit
reboot phone!

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Happy to report the the thunder custom recovery and thunderom appear to work correctly on the phone. Playing with it now. One small issue is that the menu and home buttons are reversed. Any ideas on how to change that?

EDIT: Also, the Optimus S and Sprint branding/theme needs to go. I imagine those are just image files, and the original rom could be changed. I'd be happy to try that myself if someone points me in the right direction. I am a software developer, but I work with Silverlight and the MS Stack, and I'm not super familiar with Linux/Android.

EDIT 2: Overclocking works as well. Stable at 806. Editing thunder-keymap.kl so the hard keys are correct again. Uninstalled sprint apps. All that remains is the sprint theme, which I'm sure I'll figure out.

Last edited:

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
This is amazing news! I just got back home and will be setting this up soon!

Off Topic: Optimus V is NOT an option on Tapatalk. Is there just a delay in the systems or something?

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Let me know if you have any problems. It's been fun playing around with the phone.

I don't know if you're planning on using a custom rom or not, but the optimus s thunderom has some sprint left-overs in it. I removed most of them, however my voice mail is broken. If I press and hold one it works, but if I use the shortcut on the on the phone app it crashes. This is probably because I removed sprint's visual voicemail app, and didn't restore VM's version.

Micky5298

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Got it! Root Access granted.

Steps to reproduce:
Use superonceclick to get temp adb root
cmd adb shell
mount /system
exit
adb push busybox and su to system/bin
adb shell
chmod su and busybox
exit
reboot phone!

I think I might be missing something here. After pushing su and busybox, what is the exact command for chmod su and busybox? Tried chmod su and chmod busybox then exit and a restart to no avail.

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was just able to use the manual rooting instructions for the Optimus S (rage, busybox, su) to gain root access. Rage did its thing. When I went back into the shell, I had root (# prompt). All following command executed without issue. Only slight weirdness was when I restarted the phone the first time after that. It fussed at my SD card - told me to replace it. I popped it out, pushed it back in, and it's been happy since. I installed Superuser and Titanium Backup without incident.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I didn't type the exact commands because they are basically the same as the Optimus S.

Step by step for anyone else that wants them as well. Here is a link to the original instructions as a reference:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/43108-how-root-lg-optimus-s.html

There are several differences however.

First, use the superoneclick rootshell to get a temp adb root.

Then, do this at the cmd prompt (you should have a # prompt)
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
exit

After that:
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/bin

And then:
adb shell
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
exit

and reboot the phone. Download superuser and titaniumbackup. You should now have root access.

A little photographic proof for those that care:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Longhorn