PRL Swap for the V on VM (latest PRL for Sprint Towers).
Source: [HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (3/24/2011) - xda-developers
Thanks freddysam for the great write up.
WARNING! I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU EFF UP YOUR PHONE, YOU ARE ACCEPTING THE RISK BY CONTINUING!
I saw this information posted elsewhere in pieces and thought I'd bring it together. I didn't make this procedure, but I can confirm that it works. This is absolutely for the LG Optimus V and no other phone. Do not do this unless you understand what a PRL is and why you are doing it. More than likely, this will result in either Virgin kicking you off your plan, or you destroying your phone. You have been warned.
LG Optimus V USB Serial Drivers (updated 3/22/2011)
Read the first few pages of this thread if you have driver issues. You can also try this. Thank you rjones1981.
CDMA Workshop 3.6.0 Demo
Latest Sprint PRL 60677 (attached below)
Latest Virgin Mobile PRL 61007 (attached below)
Hybrid Sprint - VM PRL 61677 (attached below) (read Update 2 & 3 for details)
You don't need to have a rooted phone to do this.
- Turn on USB Debugging, and connect your phone to your PC.
- Open Device Manager.
- Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number
- Change the value to a port number below 10. (demo restriction of CDMA Workshop)
- Open CDMA Workshop
- Select the proper port from step 4. Hit "Connect."
- Under the "Security" tab, find "SPC/User Lock."
- Change the drop down menu to "LG method," and click "Read."
- Write down the number that appears in the box. This is your MSL code. Now close CDMA Workshop, we won't need it anymore.
- Install QPST.
- Open "QPST Configuration".
- In the "Ports" tab, if your com port isn't listed, select "Add New Port" and write in your com port as "COM#" (# being the number you selected in step 4). Verify that your com port is listed.
- Make sure your phone appears in the the "Active Phones" tab.
- Click "Start Clients." Choose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
- Click "Read from Phone."
- Enter your MSL code from step 9 when promoted. (It will not finish reading from your phone. It will stop near the end and report an error. This is normal.)
- Hit "Save to File" to backup your phone's settings and PRL to a .qcn file. (Optional but recommended)
- Select the "Roaming" tab.
- Under "Preferred Roaming Enable" choose "Browse..." and select the 60677.prl or 61677.prl file.
- Under the "System" tab change "Roam Preference" to "Home only". (Optional but recommended)
- Click "Write to Phone," and your phone should immediately reboot. Do not disconnect your phone until it has booted back up.
To confirm that this worked, go into settings > about phone > status. You should have the new PRL and all that it entails. To reverse the process, follow the same steps but use the Virgin 61007 PRL or use your .qcn backup by selecting "Load from File" in the QPST SERVICE PROGRAMMING.
If you try different PRL's and get better service, please post your results here.
Update 1: Even though you can enable roaming using the QPST System tab under Roam Preferences, and you can actually connect to the Verizon towers, your calls will prompt you for a credit card, and your data will not work while roaming. I recommend leaving roaming on "Home Only." Even though you can't roam, an updated PRL will give you better coverage on Sprint's network. There are already reports that this fixes the 3G connectivity issue.
Update 2: I have created a hybrid PRL numbered 61676. I manually picked that number, and it may conflict with the PRL # of one released in the distant future, just fyi. I created the PRL by taking 60676 and removing a few roaming entries to make room. I then compared the entries in 61007 to it, and added all the non-roaming entries that 60676 lacked. It will almost be impossible to figure out if these additional entries help at all, but they can't hurt. I'm attaching 61676 below if you guys want to test it out. I promise nothing, but so far my phone has not complained about using it. Let me know how it works out if you do try it.
Update 3: Added new 60677 and a new hybrid 61677
Update 4: Proof that it is worthwhile to do!
Update 5: Added 01115 PRL. It is the latest from Sprint. Don't know why it is numbered like it is. I'm not going to make another hybrid prl for it because it is too time consuming, and I see no benefits from it.
Roaming does not work on Virgin Mobile! While roaming, you will not receive your phone calls or texts, and you can't make calls or send texts! Your data will also not work when roaming.
Download PRL 60676
Download PRL 61007
Download PRL 60677
Download PRL 61677
Download PRL 01115
Edit: This post has been edited several times, to reflect info found in this thread.
- 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM #2
- 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM #4
- 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM #5
- 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM #6
Yep, I was able to get the MSL using CDMA Workshop 2.7. I changed it to six zero's. I believe the latest sprint PRL of today's date is 60676. I was able to load it with QPST to my Optimus V. So yes, it is possible!
I am on 2.2, is roaming enabled by default? Because I do not see the option to enable it. I am not getting anything to load when I test with the web browser. I can see activity, so maybe it is being blocked. (proxy like mentioned?)
Edit: I found out there is currently a national outage, so I will try later. Edit #2: Network is backup and everything is working on prl 60676
Here are the things I found googling that helped me.1. Start CDMA workshop. Select the COM port your phone is connected to for Andoid USB. You can check this by going to control panel - device manager - Ports.
2. On the main screen click "Connect", then "Read".. your data should pop up in the left.
3. Click the "security" tab. Under SPC, click the drop down and change it to "LG method" then click "Read" ... your SPC shoould pop up in the empty box. Now click the "SPC" button and select "SEND", this will send the SPC to the phone to unlock it. Write it down somewhere!
4. OPTIONAL!! You can now change the SPC code for you phone. The norm is 000000 (six zeros) Just type it in the box where your SPC is. Now click "SPC" button and the select "Write". This will write a new SPC code to your phone.
5. Close CDMA workshop. You can now connect to QPST using the read code or changed SPC code form above.Install QPST v2.7.323
Plug your phone in with USB debugging enabled.
Open device manager and find out what port your phone is on.
Open QPST configuration.
In the QPST configuration, select "Add New Port..." on the bottom right
Enter the port you found in device manager.
Click drop down menu "Start Clients." Chose "SERVICE PROGRAMMING." Select your phone.
Download the 60676 PRL I posted. Put it somewhere you can find.
In QPST, choose the "Roaming" tab.
In the "Preferred Roaming Enable" box choose "Browse..."
Browse to the 60676 PRL.
Click "Write to Phone." Enter your MSL. Your phone will restart.
To confirm that the hack worked, dial *2. You should get VZW or some other carrier.
- 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM #8
- 03-10-2011, 09:34 AM #9
- 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM #11
- 21 Posts
I did some searching and came across this site, has a download for a 61007 PRL, but says it's for Sprint.. Not sure if they're the same?
EDIT: Deleted link to wrong file to prevent people from screwing up their phones!
- 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM #13
No, I am still not getting 3G in my location. I live in a little dinky town. If I want 3G, I have to drive 30miles in any other direction. The only time I have ever had 3G here is on Verizon. So, I guess that means I am not connected to any Verizon towers.
- 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM #15
Concerned over my next bill? I have no concerns, it's prepaid. If they flag my phone, its pretty easy to get another. This may be useful to someone out there. If you are to big of a , then by all means, dont do it. This is meant for the Charlie Sheen's of the world, who don't give a crap what others think. Want to try it? Fine. Don't? Fine.
People know tinkering with their phones is risky business and voids your warranty.
Edit: I actually, got flashes of 3G while out and about today. It never stuck around long, but that's more then I got before.
- 03-10-2011, 08:54 PM #17
LOL...nah...I'm already the big bad wolf to some people for being the first one to publish the Quick Settings/HotSpot info for the V...but hacking into the phone to be able to roam on a network designed specifically not to roam at all seems a lot more likely to draw Sprint's ire, because that will cost them real $$$, not just some tiny fraction of additional overhead on their existing network. If you're willing to go for it, that's your choice...I'm just planting the thought for others that this roaming hack is far more likely to cause issues with VM than using Quick Settings on their individual accounts. The reason Virgin Mobile plans exist is because Sprint is trying to cut the huge amount of $$$ it has to pay Verizon for roaming off network in many parts of the country.
I, for one, have no desire to compare myself to Charlie Sheen, who by most appearances is a drug/sex addict spiraling almost totally out of control, who's also lost a lot of his grip on reality and is saying some things that are truly bizarre, even when only considered in the clinical sense. But hey, that's just me...Jackwagon.
- 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM #19
- 03-12-2011, 01:43 AM #21
- 03-12-2011, 08:30 PM #22
- 03-13-2011, 12:51 AM #24
- 03-13-2011, 12:58 AM #25