[How To]Yet Another Voip Guide

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So Ive been fumbling with this for a couple days.
Initially I had it all working with pbxes and for some reason it just fails to work now.

So I did a bit of google leg work and found a simple way to do this.

First and foremost the way this works you can link your main google account and not worry about the password being hijacked. As there is absolutely no where you input it.

First goto Localphone.com and request a voip account. Do that by clicking the link it will take you to the voip page. If you have a localphone account upgrade it to a voip account. Once you get registered and or upgrade you will receive a sip id. You need this for the next step.

Then with that info goto ipkall.com and request a phone number to link your localphone account to.
Choose your account type: SIP
Choose Area Code for your IPKall Number: these are all washington state based
SIP username:your localphone account
Hostname or IP address:localphone.com
Email Address:your email. <--must be valid this email is where you will get the number
Password:safe password you create
# of Seconds to ring before hanging up:120

You will recieve a email with your new number. Save this email it also has your login details.

Im using cm7 so I input these values in the built in client but it will work in sipdroid also.

Username: your localphone username
password:your localphone password. (I suggest changing it while on the localphone website to something easier to remember.)
server:localphone.com
port: 5060 (5061 is the default for sipdroid it doesnt appear to work.)
Make sure its set for outbound and primary account.

Now go to your google voice account and add the ipkall number as one of your forwarding phones.
It will tell you to validate the number as yours.
Click on connect and it should ring your phone and just input the two digit code.
Your ipkall number should be setup now.
**If it doesn't recognize your inputs google a dtmf tone generator and put the phone new your pc speakers and push the buttons on the tone generator.**

Im using gvcallback to make calls and it all seems to work fine.

When setting up gv callback it has the option to use the google account on the phone.
That is what I selected and it found all numbers associated. One of them is the ipkall number you added.
Just selected it for the call back number and it should work fine.
Also be sure to set the native google voice app to never make calls if you are using gv callback.

It also appears ipkall is recycling numbers.
If you get a error that the number is already in use, just delete the account and try again.
Yea its a pain in the ass but its all we have right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: thexxoffspring

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
More options is great. I also used to use pbexes and google voice, but that is down to at-least May 2011 for free users. Auto account generation has also been taken down.

Now I use Sipgate and Google Voice. You can signup for a FREE Sipgate One account. Incoming is free, and you use Google Voice call-back for free outgoing. I have found the latest version of Sipdroid (2.2) to be bugged with sipgate. It often tells you your SIP is registered but it really is not (checked on sipgate's site). I do not have this problem with Sipdroid 2.01.

There is also Whistle for USA residents. It has a native Apple app but you can also use SIP (for us Android folks). But the incoming calls can be hit or miss for some reason. It plays a ad on some of your outgoing calls before the connection. But it's free. I am assuming it can also be setup with google voice if you prefer.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sipgate is currently closed for new accounts.
Which sucks.

But this one is real simple to setup.
I stumbled upon the setup just testing it out.
Thought imma put this info in here and see if it works and Ill be damned it did :D.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I just tested this guide. The only snag I ran into is to make sure to upgrade your localphone account to a VOIP account. Once you do this, you will get a SIP ID. I initially was trying to use my localphone account # as my ID. That will not work. Also for some reason, port 5061 does not work for me (2nd line default port in Sipdroid). I had to use Port 5060. Sipdroid 2.2 seems to be working ok on localphone/ipkall.

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Which works better sipdroid or the built in CM7 client?

Out of those that have tried the various accounts, which sip providers are better and more stable? I have only tried pbxes so far.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll try this later today with sipdroid. Tried voip before but ran into dead ends with endless guides even though I did it correct. 295/300 minutes till the 9th lol.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Which works better sipdroid or the built in CM7 client?

Out of those that have tried the various accounts, which sip providers are better and more stable? I have only tried pbxes so far.

Sipdroid offers better codec control I believe. Useful if you are in area's with no 3G and want to use a low bandwidth codec. But it has been a long time sense I tried a 2.3 rom.

Last edited:

michy9

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
snag in google voice forwarding

This number is already in use as a cell phone on another Google Voice account' error. I just registered for this number, why am i getting this?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This number is already in use as a cell phone on another Google Voice account' error. I just registered for this number, why am i getting this?

Hmm that is weird.
Sounds like a recycled number.
When I switched from my second voice account to my main I just reclaimed the number.
There should be a option to reclaim this number click it and follow the prompts.

michy9

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
it is weird. no such option on google voice add new phone . it says that the number is already connected with 2 other google voice accounts and forwarding numbers cannot be shared. and theres no indication anywhere to find or delete these. Arrgghh

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
it is weird. no such option on google voice add new phone . it says that the number is already connected with 2 other google voice accounts and forwarding numbers cannot be shared. and theres no indication anywhere to find or delete these. Arrgghh

I suggest grabbing another ipkall number.
It sounds really odd that you got a recycled number.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My brother had the same problem. He canceled his ipkall account, and recreated. Problem solved. The Cancel Account link is right next to the Log Out Link.

michy9

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
ok, on the third newly created ipkall number , google voice still told me 2 other voice users were using it! However, this time it gave me a chance to reclaim it. and after 3 tries, the google system phoned me to verify my phone.. So I was able to hear the voice from google and enter my verification # . I have a green notification that sipdroid is connected but as soon as I attempt a call, it ends the call immediately. Any clues?

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
ok, on the third newly created ipkall number , google voice still told me 2 other voice users were using it! However, this time it gave me a chance to reclaim it. and after 3 tries, the google system phoned me to verify my phone.. So I was able to hear the voice from google and enter my verification # . I have a green notification that sipdroid is connected but as soon as I attempt a call, it ends the call immediately. Any clues?

Make sure protocol is set to udp.
I had issues getting it to connect properly until I realized tcp is the default in sipdroid.

**ETA**
Also make sure if your using gv callback that the native app is set to never make calls.
I guess it conflicts with gv callback and will just end the call before it starts.

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I just tested this guide. The only snag I ran into is to make sure to upgrade your localphone account to a VOIP account. Once you do this, you will get a SIP ID. I initially was trying to use my localphone account # as my ID. That will not work. Also for some reason, port 5061 does not work for me (2nd line default port in Sipdroid). I had to use Port 5060. Sipdroid 2.2 seems to be working ok on localphone/ipkall.

Yeah sorry I linked to the voip register page I thought.
Atleast that is what it showed me when I clicked it.

I will edit my op with that info.

zires

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I'm having an issue that I cannot hear anything and the other person cannot hear me. When I restart my phone it works like a charm. For free calls, I can restart in between calls :D.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok now im having a issue with the localphone not working.
I initially tried to set this up via pbxes.org and it continues to fail to connect.
So the localphone site says pbxes is connected and my phone also..

Damn it all I wanted was to be able to make voip calls from my phone :(