New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

Black Jesus

Banned
Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you throw an ad based version out there for us poor folks, I would buy it but I refuse to register my bank card with Google and they will not use my VM balance to buy apps.

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you throw an ad based version out there for us poor folks, I would buy it but I refuse to register my bank card with Google and they will not use my VM balance to buy apps.

Get a prepaid card from walmart or somewhere else. Many options.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased and tried this out, and I'm pretty impressed so far. WiFi works great, though I did have to increase my mic's gain, call quality is similar to normal cell call on my OV. I only made one test call over 3g, only 2 bars in my house, quality was noticeably less of course, but usable. Haven't tried many calls yet, it's too late for most of my contacts. Tomorrow I can text them with my new easier to remember GV number!

One side note- I don't suggest you call your cell phone number from your cell phone using GrooVeIP. The call rang through, but it de-registered the GrooVeIP app, and I had to re-enter my password to get it working again. I know, why call your own phone from your own phone, I was just trying things out! ;)

@devs: Do you have any webpages devoted to GrooVeIP?

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you are in the USA, call 317-222-2222. It's our weather phone here in Indiana. I often call it to see if sound breaks up. Anyone know of a free echo number we can call?

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Whoa, this thing even works over 2g! I didn't actually have a conversation, just listened to a pre-recorded message from best buy to test it. Not sure about actual conversational call quality, but its still cool that it sounds pretty good over 2g.

Are you guys just leaving the app on, or are you only turning the app on when you're making calls? For those keeping the app on, how's the battery life with the 3g on? On wifi I expect battery life to be pretty good, so I'm really only interested in results from leaving on the app with mobile data.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased and tried this out, and I'm pretty impressed so far. WiFi works great, though I did have to increase my mic's gain, call quality is similar to normal cell call on my OV. I only made one test call over 3g, only 2 bars in my house, quality was noticeably less of course, but usable. Haven't tried many calls yet, it's too late for most of my contacts. Tomorrow I can text them with my new easier to remember GV number!

One side note- I don't suggest you call your cell phone number from your cell phone using GrooVeIP. The call rang through, but it de-registered the GrooVeIP app, and I had to re-enter my password to get it working again. I know, why call your own phone from your own phone, I was just trying things out! ;)

@devs: Do you have any webpages devoted to GrooVeIP?

No webpage yet. We did start a facebook page for snrb labs. Haven't really done much with it though.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I had a little hiccup trying it out this morning. I couldn't get it to register. I finally had to login to Gmail through my phone's browser using the standard webpage interface, then the GrooVeIP symbol finally showed green.

I don't think this has anything to do with the GrooVeIP app, something to do with Gmail not syncing at the time. Just wanted to post how I got it working.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
New Version!

Version 1.0.12 is up on the market.

- Calls that hang at signalling will auto fail in a few seconds
- ?Always use GrooVe IP? option now works
- Exit menu is now working
- Hang up tone is no longer played twice
- Added a Ring tone configuration
- Clean up some screen transitions
- Fix an issue where sometimes the incoming call screen didn't show up
- Added a troubleshooting section to the help
- GrooVe IP contact list will now show custom phone type labels for contacts instead of "Unknown"

ZipLipZ

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. Ill update now. I haven't been able to recreate that bug that I reported earlier. Hopefully all is well.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

castout85

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
after comparing this app with skype, skype seems to have a more stable voice transmission with fewer drop outs. i tried calling my friend with groove and he couldnt even hear me, it would only transmit the last half of my statement. i did a comparison calling my landline and skype was the winner.

Groove IP:

Pros:
Google voice service without using your providers (VM) minutes
FREE service (-2.99$)
FREE Number

Cons:
New app with relatively little features
voice drop outs frequently while speaking

Pros:
Stable voice, reliable
APP is loaded with features

Cons:
Monthly fee
have to pay for a number which is extra ontop of the service

This app is promising, but i will hold off for a while until the devs have a chance to update and polish it. For now i will stick with skype.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
TO be fair this app is brand new, skype has been around for a long time and has tons more people developing for their apps.

That said I think each person will get varying results as I called my GF earlier and she could hear me fine but when I called my old man he said it was delayed, but could hear me fine. Give this some time and Im sure it will be a great app. I like how the dev is communicating with us. Hoepfully he sees the optimus v and VM as a great source to gain followers and customers. And its proven some of us are die hard supporters of apps we just love (cough atk cough).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95