New VOIP option for GV - single app solution: GrooVe IP

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
verizon
htc thunderbolt rooted/bamf rom
groove ip 113

looks like a way cool app. trying to figure this out though. thinking a sticky somewhere might help if it outlines the setup rather than having to read through all of the ups and downs of other posters.

should i be able to place calls initiated through my native dialer/phone app? when i do initiate a call in this manner i do get the option to choose between "groove ip" or "mobile network" and when the call is placed through groove ip the recipient of the call can't hear me. i have attempted the various troubleshooting recommendations without a solution.

i am however able to place a call through the groove ip interface with the expected intended results and with better than expected audio quality.

am i missing something? should i indeed be able to use the native dial/phone app to place calls through groove ip?

oops just noticed this is an optimus forum. you'all seem pretty active with regard to this little app. hope you'all dont mind a t-bolt guy's question.

thanks
mark

Hi,

You should be able to dial using either dialer. Can you try it with 1.1.4 and see if it's any better?

markkal123

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

You should be able to dial using either dialer. Can you try it with 1.1.4 and see if it's any better?

Dang! ok here is the deal. i am running a rooted HTC thunderbolt and ROM (Das BAMF 1.6.3) now with groov ip 114

this ROM contains a two-way call recorder. just disabled it and POOF! problems solved.

voice is crystal clear both ends. just a bit of echo on the receiving side but i'm sure that will go away with a few minor tweaks to the settings.

thanks for all of your help. you're A-1 in service with the great updates and modifications.

i haven't reivewed any app yet, but y'all will be getting my first. it will be glowing mostly because of your attention to detail, personal availability for tech prblms, quick response to issues with quick version updates, etc., etc.

thanks again for your work.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You know you can change that behavior. Just go to settings and set it to "always use groove" or "always use mobile" depending on your preference.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Dang! ok here is the deal. i am running a rooted HTC thunderbolt and ROM (Das BAMF 1.6.3) now with groov ip 114

this ROM contains a two-way call recorder. just disabled it and POOF! problems solved.

voice is crystal clear both ends. just a bit of echo on the receiving side but i'm sure that will go away with a few minor tweaks to the settings.

thanks for all of your help. you're A-1 in service with the great updates and modifications.

i haven't reivewed any app yet, but y'all will be getting my first. it will be glowing mostly because of your attention to detail, personal availability for tech prblms, quick response to issues with quick version updates, etc., etc.

thanks again for your work.

Wow, would have never thought of the call recorder. Good catch. You can reduce echo by lowering the microphone gain and/or the speaker volume. Just be careful you don't lower it so much that no one can hear eachother.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand the advantage over Google Voice. What does this app do that GV cannot ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the advantage over Google Voice. What does this app do that GV cannot ?

The Google Voice app will use your cell phone minutes when you make or receive a call. This uses your data plan or WiFi. So even if you don't have service on your phone you can still make and receive phone calls.

scootincivic

Feb 16, 2011
civicscootin.3utilities.com
This ("GROOVE IP")) uses your data plan or WiFi. So even if you don't have service on your phone you can still make and receive phone calls.
Witch is a key for many users as VM (Sprint) towers sux in many areas!..

If any user's wants to learn more about this type of app do a search for VoIP services.
As GrooVe IP is one In the same..
However GrooVes team made it supper simple compared to other apps that are a pain to get set up to work correctly in many cases..

Sent from my Optimus V vai Tapatalk

lizm

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Had a nice long call on 3g yesterday. Other than a slight delay, I was very pleased with the call, quality was very good throughout.

Stock Optimus V.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was a way of knowing there is a delay in my call. Usually if I call again, it'll fix the delay, but I have no idea when my call has a huge delay until the person I'm talking to starts talking over me. If groove could have a call delay/quality meter or indicator, that would be great.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I wish there was a way of knowing there is a delay in my call. Usually if I call again, it'll fix the delay, but I have no idea when my call has a huge delay until the person I'm talking to starts talking over me. If groove could have a call delay/quality meter or indicator, that would be great.

On calls that you have delay, does it start off delayed and stay that way? Or does it get worse during the call? Do you get the same issue on WiFi and 3G?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
On calls that you have delay, does it start off delayed and stay that way? Or does it get worse during the call? Do you get the same issue on WiFi and 3G?

I am 99% sure it is a google voice issue and not the app as I have the same experience using GV through my desktop. It'll be from the very beginning of the call and stay that way. I've only experienced it when using 3G, but the majority of my calls are via 3G. If I hang up and call again, it'll be fixed. I just wish I knew when the call had a delay or had a poor connection in general.

markkal123

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
for some unexplained reason the groove ip icon does not show up in the notification bar. neither red(unregistered) or green(registered). when i place an outgoing call i do have the option to use the groove ip or mobile network. when the groove ip otion is selected the call proceeds as expected and my google number shows on the recipient's caller id.

any thoughts?

thanks
marj

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
for some unexplained reason the groove ip icon does not show up in the notification bar. neither red(unregistered) or green(registered). when i place an outgoing call i do have the option to use the groove ip or mobile network. when the groove ip otion is selected the call proceeds as expected and my google number shows on the recipient's caller id.

any thoughts?

thanks
marj

Is registration notification checked in your GrooVe IP settings? Also, did you move the app to your sdcard by any chance?

markkal123

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
i guess i need to stop dinkin' around. yep i moved to the sd card. thanks

to confirm in google voice i should have the calls forwarded to "google chat"?

what is the effect if they are forwarded to my phone? when that option is selected the groove ip interface is still an option when i place calls and my google number shows in the recipients caller id.

if "google voice options on the phone are activated or i i choose to use google voice for my default voice mail is there any effect on groove ip funcionality?

i'm a big fan of this and selling it to my friends and family.

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
i guess i need to stop dinkin' around. yep i moved to the sd card. thanks

to confirm in google voice i should have the calls forwarded to "google chat"?

what is the effect if they are forwarded to my phone? when that option is selected the groove ip interface is still an option when i place calls and my google number shows in the recipients caller id.

if "google voice options on the phone are activated or i i choose to use google voice for my default voice mail is there any effect on groove ip funcionality?

i'm a big fan of this and selling it to my friends and family.

Ya, android will kill background services if the app is moved the sdcard. If our background service is stopped that means you're not really signed in, hence no notification icon. You'll be able to make calls, since we'll sign in when you open the app. But incoming wouldn't work reliably.

If you don't forward calls to google chat then the app won't receive incoming phone calls to your google voice number. You'll still be able to use the app to make outgoing phone calls.

If you have google voice as your voice mail, when someone calls your regular phone number it will ring. If you don't pick up (and calls are forwarded to google chat), groove ip will ring (because the call is being sent to your google voice number). It will ring maybe once or twice and then stop and the call will end up at your google voice voice mail.

Reactions: markkal123

markkal123

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the great customer service. i have you advertised/promoted on my facebook. hope it helps y'all.

so where do you see this app going in terms of functionality and purpose as you develop this further?

snrb_labs

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the great customer service. i have you advertised/promoted on my facebook. hope it helps y'all.

so where do you see this app going in terms of functionality and purpose as you develop this further?

Have a lot of things planned. Currently our todo list has over 50 items in it. Seems like every day we finish 2 and open 3 new ones.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I bought this app yesterday. Was great on wifi for a few hours of conversation. This is $4 for unlimited talk at home and work for me. I so worth a one time price. That and the fact that one of the programmers is here talking about the updates they are doing. That is why I gave this app a five star review. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Just bought and a bit disappointed so far but perhaps it's user error.

1) can I use the stock dialer to make calls on Groove?
2) if i use the Groove dialer, how do I hang up the call?
3) why can't make it make calls on the mobile network? It dials once then boots me back to Groove dialer. Is that related to the registration? It once said not registered on mobile network.

Last edited: