Surprise(Not Really) Fire phone is currently number 1 and 2 on Amazon. So what does this mean?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a few theories.

1st: Customers don't really look at specs but brand recognition.

2nd: The market will bear the price of 199 (subsidize)for any flagship phone because we have been train on that pricing.
The only way this number would change is that if the On Contract price of a major player flagship starts at 99 dollars.
If the next flagship iPhone/Galaxy were to start at 99 dollars, the rest of the market will shift to that market.

3rd:More people are heavily invested in the Amazon ecosystem than perceived expectations(Heck I honestly didn't expect the phone to surprise Galaxy S5).

4th: Because of ATT's large market share (Both Verizon and ATT each have a 3rd of the market), the exclusivity agreement may not be that strong of a factor.

What are your thoughts.

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a few theories.

1st: Customers don't really look at specs but brand recognition.

2nd: The market will bear the price of 199 (subsidize)for any flagship phone because we have been train on that pricing.
The only way this number would change is that if the On Contract price of a major player flagship starts at 99 dollars.
If the next flagship iPhone/Galaxy were to start at 99 dollars, the rest of the market will shift to that market.

3rd:More people are heavily invested in the Amazon ecosystem than perceived expectations(Heck I honestly didn't expect the phone to surprise Galaxy S5).

4th: Because of ATT's large market share (Both Verizon and ATT each have a 3rd of the market), the exclusivity agreement may not be that strong of a factor.

What are your thoughts.

I think most people buying this phone are buying for Amazon. They are probably heavily invested in the Amazon ecosystem.

The other reason, IMO, is that they aren't very tech savvy. They see the flashy features and want the phone. I can't think of many other reasons, other than the aforementioned reason, that someone would want to buy this phone.

For $200, I could buy an HTC One M8, Galaxy S5, or iPhone 5s. I could even get a Moto X for free with a two year contract. And AT&T recently had the M8 for $99 with a two year contract.

Buying unlocked, I could again buy the same phones for the same price as the Fire phone. Or two Nexus 5's for $50 more.

Last edited:

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I look at the Fire phone as just being a smaller version of a fire tablet but with phone capabilities added. Those who get the Fire tablets rather than an ipad or android tablet have specific wants and needs that the fire tablet fills. It is the same with the fire phone. It doesn't matter if they are tech savvy or not and FYI many of them are smarter than others tech wise.

The fire tablets that are 3/4G capable are exclusive to AT&T so it stands to reason that the AT&T would be the exclusive provider for the phone as well. Because AT&T has always been the carrier for any 3/4G fire tablet or kindle from the beginning, it may be that Amazon has no reason to switch.

Personally I think those people who are raising the biggest fuss about this phone are the same ones who fuss about ipads and iphones compared to android tablets and phones. This phone will have it's fan base just as any other phone has it's own fan base and in my book it works out for everyone who likes their own devices!

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
there are millions of Android users.... only less than 1 in 10,000 visit Android Central... the other 9,999 out of 10,000 just use their phones as is... they don't care what's the "best" out there.... the phone with the best marketing wins.... just look at iPhones.

Amazon will make a lot of money selling the Amazon Fire Phone. Millions already blindly pay $79(now $99) per year for Amazon Prime. Remember, Amazon does not always has the best prices.

onewac

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As for "Millions already blindly pay.....for amazon prime" it is a good deal if you buy a lot from Amazon. It has paid for itself many times over for me and probably the "millions" who use it. They may not always have the best prices but there are a lot of better deals on Amazon than in other places.

It doesn't matter what OS system anyone uses or where they shop, everyone has their favorite devices and places. It always amazes me the number of people who get off on bad mouthing everyone else's choices. But the times are changing and common sense and class are out the door in favor of attacking everyone that has a different view, device, etc. some attacks are worse than others.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Too bad Amazon doesn't show their most frequently returned items. The Fire Phone will be #1 and #2 on that list shortly.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non