fire phone

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I would not get one. It was discontinued 4 years ago in 2015. It does not use a regular version of Android AND the version its based on is way WAY out of date. So you would have trouble getting working apps, You have no support and minimal resources to help you with this unpopular phone. It probably would work for phone calls and texts and the included apps like the Fire OS, but I bet a bunch of stuff would have issues. Also it MIGHT be locked to AT&T its original carrier.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^ True, but of all the places in the world where you might look for it, you’d think that Android Central’s Fire Phone forum would be the best.

Nguyen1

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
What is this like in 2019

Well, it is now 2020, and I still use my Fire Phone. Most of the amazon features still work just fine, such as Kindle and firefly, and Prime video. Of course, the phone works as a phone, texts, and email. Apps, you can get from the Amazon app store, although they are likely to be old. You can also sideload the Google app store or something like apkpure.com, but you’ll be limited to android 4.3, I think.

I have a work iphone, but I prefer the Fire phone. It’s smaller and gesture-based. Sturdy construction, too. If your needs are simple, this will be good enough. If twitter / facebook / social media are important, you’re better off with a newer phone.

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
Now it's 2024. I don't have a Fire Phone, but the Fire Phone runs Android 4. I have a few old Android 4 tablets, and I don't bother using them. You can't even run a modern version of a web browser on Android 4! As Nguyen1 said: Apps are likely to be old.

I don't think there's a custom ROM for this phone, so it's stuck on Android 4. However, the phone is 4G (that's culler technology, nothing to do with the Android version number), so it will probably still be able to connect to cellular networks and make phone calls.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez