Kindle Fire: First Impressions & Full Breakdown

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
For those seeking more information on the Kindle Fire, I did a full write-up of the device that consolidates all of the known information about it into one helpful article:

Kindle Fire: First Impressions & Full Breakdown | Stimulated Boredom

Since no one has gotten their hands on a review unit yet, I wanted to clarify that I have also not received a review unit and am basing all of the information off of the demos, launch event and news surrounding the device. However, the article is intended as a helpful guide for those interested in learning more.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know that was a really solid write-up. Especially considering that 99.9% of the population hasn't even touched one.

I'm definitely intrigued by this product, and haven't been able to truly decide between it and a conventional Android Tablet (namely the yet to be released Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus).

Reactions: stimulatedboredom

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
@ Wildo6882 Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad if the write-up was helpful in any way.

I know where you are coming from (relating to other tablets and the new Galaxy Tab), but at the end of the day - at least for me - the Fire's price and Amazon's digital content library shifted the scales in their favor.

I have an EVO and all of the other Android tablets just feel like an over-sized EVO to me (from a UI standpoint) and the Fire offers something unique in that regard. I also use Cloud Player and a few of their other services, plus when you top that off with a $79 unlimited Prime Membership, the Fire offers more (with the exception of higher specs) than the other tablets I have been looking at.

The 7" form factor is big for me too (coming from a bulky iPad). At the end of the day, a tablet is just a consumption device and I think the Fire fulfills that more at a much cheaper price.

Can't wait to get my hands on it though, I plan to do a full video review when I do!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've actually placed my pre-order to reserve my spot, but I'm still looking around to see the new things. I totally agree about tablets being consumption devices, and that's one of the things that has me leaning to the Fire side.

I've actually come to the conclusion that if I were to get rid of my iPhone to get an Android device, I'm going with a Fire. But if I keep the iPhone, I'm leaning GTab. But I'm a wishy-washy tech guy, and I change my mind every day. :D

I do have one question about the email on the Fire, because that is important to me. Can you have multiple accounts? And does the email support flash? The answers to these could possibly seal the deal.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Totally understand. Ironically enough, even though I am an Android guy, I prefer the Fire over the other Android tablets, simply because the other tablets are too similar to my phone! Would rather mix things up a little. :)

As for your question relating to email apps: My understanding is that it will support 3rd Party web mail services (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail etc) with a native app that allows you to consolidate all of your email into one inbox. I don't know if it will support POP or IMAP accounts, but I would imagine that it would, but I haven't seen any confirmation other than the web mail app.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
That pretty much answers my question. As long as I can get my email on there (at least to check it and respond quickly) then I'm fine.

And that's basically my reasoning behind getting an Android phone and a Fire, or using my iPhone and getting a GTab - because I want different devices. To get an Android tablet when I have an Android phone seems very pointless to me.

Thanks again for your replies and for the article.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
No problem, happy to help.

One more thing: Keep in mind - if you do get an Android phone - that although the Fire is running on 2.3, it is an entirely different GUI and looks nothing like an Android device. Amazon created an entirely new GUI. So, even with an Android phone, the Fire won't be a similar experience.

Google licences Android for free, it's only when a manufacturer wants to use the Android logo, do they pay. You'll notice that although Amazon acknowledges that it runs on a version on Android, the logo is nowhere to be found on the device, the website etc and Amazon has it's own market for Android apps. I think this was (of course) intentional, as they wanted it to be viewed as a decidedly "Amazon" device.

frmorrison

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
As for your question relating to email apps: My understanding is that it will support 3rd Party web mail services (i.e. Yahoo, Gmail etc) with a native app that allows you to consolidate all of your email into one inbox. I don't know if it will support POP or IMAP accounts, but I would imagine that it would, but I haven't seen any confirmation other than the web mail app.

I saw a screenshot of a Kindle email app that supports webmail inside the app. Of course, you could always go to the website.

Note Android has an open source version, and anyone can put this software on whatever hardware for free. Google isn't getting any money from Amazon for using the open source code. Google does get money from all the ads people see when they use google services (this is google's main business plan).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer