Use Google Drive to get Play Store Apps on Kindle Fire

Mlamp

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Thought I would share this for users who don't want to root their Kindle Fire (because it disable Amazon Videos) and are tired of using a USB cable to side load apps from the Google Play Store. I just did this below and it works great.

1. Install the Google Services Framework and Gmail on the Kindle Fire. Using the link below I downloaded the zip file. Extracted the Google Services Framework.apk and the Gmail.apk on my pc and copied both to my Kindle fire using a usb cable. Gapps hdpi 20101114 signed - Free Download from mediafire - FilesTube.com

2. On my Bionic I used Astro and backed up Google Drive. Then I copied it to the the Kindle Fire again using a usb cable.

3. On the Kindle I used ES File explorer to navigate to the folder where all three .apk files were copied to. I installed the Google Services Framework first by tapping on it. Then I installed Gmail and then finally Google Drive.

4. Be sure to look for the notifications in the upper left of the Fire where each will ask to be allowed permissions. Choose Yes to all of them.

5. I ran Gmail and input my account info and let it sync.

6. Then I ran Google Drive and let it sync.

7. Then I uninstalled Gmail. This is because I don't want my email on my son's Kindle Fire.

You may be able to accomplish the above without installing and uninstalling Gmail, but that is what worked for me.

Now, if my son wants a game from the Google Play store on the Kindle Fire, I install it on my Bionic, back it up with Astro then using Google Drive I upload the .apk for it. On the Kindle fire I open Google Drive and download and install it. Piece of cake.

Good luck,

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Every time I try this I receive the error message "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call customer care."

Mlamp

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I initially got that message too when setting up Gmail so I plugged in the charger, waited an hour an tried again and it worked.

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
OK I did something similar. I installed the framework, and then rebooted the fire. Then I installed the drive and it worked.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Thought I would share this for users who don't want to root their Kindle Fire (because it disable Amazon Videos) and are tired of using a USB cable to side load apps from the Google Play Store. I just did this below and it works great.

1. Install the Google Services Framework and Gmail on the Kindle Fire. Using the link below I downloaded the zip file. Extracted the Google Services Framework.apk and the Gmail.apk on my pc and copied both to my Kindle fire using a usb cable. Gapps hdpi 20101114 signed - Free Download from mediafire - FilesTube.com

2. On my Bionic I used Astro and backed up Google Drive. Then I copied it to the the Kindle Fire again using a usb cable.

3. On the Kindle I used ES File explorer to navigate to the folder where all three .apk files were copied to. I installed the Google Services Framework first by tapping on it. Then I installed Gmail and then finally Google Drive.

4. Be sure to look for the notifications in the upper left of the Fire where each will ask to be allowed permissions. Choose Yes to all of them.

5. I ran Gmail and input my account info and let it sync.

6. Then I ran Google Drive and let it sync.

7. Then I uninstalled Gmail. This is because I don't want my email on my son's Kindle Fire.

You may be able to accomplish the above without installing and uninstalling Gmail, but that is what worked for me.

Now, if my son wants a game from the Google Play store on the Kindle Fire, I install it on my Bionic, back it up with Astro then using Google Drive I upload the .apk for it. On the Kindle fire I open Google Drive and download and install it. Piece of cake.

Good luck,

Thick piece of cake dood. LOL. Surely Google has got to come up with an easier way to use Drive on our Fires.

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
You could also use WiFi File Transfer in the same way w/o having to install the GSF and Drive apks.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

dmstr77

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
sugarsync works on both the kindle fire and android.... sideload one app and you can do this easily... use it all the time

dbouse

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
this still requires the use of an android phone to get the apk file from google app store.
Anyway to get a apk file out of the google store & download it to your pc?

mkiker2089

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Not that I'm aware. Ironic isn't it. You can't get the app store without having the app store. You can get the APK online from forums such as XDA but it won't work that easily. It needs Google Framework and access to rook to install.

The easiest way to get it is using the "Kindle Fire Utility" and let it root then do it's thing. It's all plug and play. If you want Amazon videos back then install Rootkeeper to back up and remove the root. There's no need to go through this work just to get Google apps.

Be sure to also install the "market opener" apk to create a shortcut to the app store. Google used to their app store opening by default so it doesn't show up on the Amazon launcher. Market opener is just a shortcut really.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Is this still working? I am now getting an error message that says "Oops Unable to open document. Reason: No viewer is available for this type of document."

Used to work great, but it has been a while since I have done this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mlamp

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
If you are asking if Google Drive will still run correctly on the Kindle Fire and download and open .apk files so you can install them, yes it is still working for me at least. Just put the game 100 Floors on my device. It's a decent game btw.

skorpeo

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, relative noob, and trying to follow, I installed the google frame work, (thanks) and the drive and gmail, seems to work well, heres my problem, I want to upload apps to the google drive from my phone, but I have no clue where in astro the .apk's are found? can anyone shed some light? Thanks in advance.

Tracy Moller

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got my kindle and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to give the thing permission! I dragged down and the notification is there asking for permission for gmail, but no option to say "allow" or "yes". I've clicked, touched, held down. I'm getting nowhere.I'm already set up for allowing 3rd party.

Last edited:

Adrian Morrish

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I seemed to get everything to work but then when I open Google Drive and sync it shows no files, there are multiple notifications saying that it needs me to accept the connection but I dont get the opportunity to do o, any ideas?

J Payne

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Having problems with the requesting permissions portion of the process. Everything is good up until then, and the notification pops up with the request for notification, but I never get a screen which gives me the option to allow. I click on the notification (even try to hold down the button), but it won't allow me the option. I added my g-mail account to the e-mail setting, but it still won't sync.

Any ideas?

ttaylor_99

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Rebooting did the trick for me as well. Now Gmail comes up, now it is "Waiting for sync". Even after several hours, no sync. Same for Google Drive. So close, but no cigar. Any ideas?