09-24-2021 11:45 AM
40 12
tools
    Is it normal for "AccessService" on my Android phone to view my screen and inputs, etc.? See attached picture

https://imgur.com/a/eaaGpGo

Android AccessService-phone-access.jpg
    09-21-2021 09:42 PM
    I don't think this would be surprising if you have an Accessibility feature turned on -- do you?
    09-21-2021 09:54 PM
    I don't think this would be surprising if you have an Accessibility feature turned on -- do you?
    not sure, how do I turn it off/on?
    09-21-2021 10:21 PM
    I'm not sure what 'acessservice" is anyway?
    09-21-2021 10:21 PM
    Go to Settings>Accessibility and see if anything there is turned on.

AccessService is most likely a system app related to accessibility.
    09-22-2021 12:14 AM
    here is what accessibility screen looks like....i'm just wondering if it is some sort of spyware or nosey app.

Android AccessService-accessibility.jpg
    09-22-2021 12:49 AM
    Hmm. Normally I would think this is a system app, but searching the web came up with this: https://github.com/patanjalikr13/And...ctable-Spy-App. I'm not well-versed enough in spyware to know how legit this is, but it is enough to make me wonder. "AccessibilityService would be the official system app, not "AccessService."

If you tap on Vision, Hearing, and Dexterity and Interaction in that screen do any of the submenus show anything turned on?

I would also boot the phone into Safe Mode and see if that message still shows up. Which phone do you have?

Have you rooted your phone, sideloaded any apk files, or tapped a link in any browser popups lately?
    09-22-2021 01:30 AM
    Is it normal for "AccessService" on my Android phone to view my screen and inputs, etc.? See attached picture

https://imgur.com/a/eaaGpGo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone access.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	337304
    If you choose settings in the pop up box instead ok where does it take you ?
    09-22-2021 01:39 AM
    Hmm. Normally I would think this is a system app, but searching the web came up with this: https://github.com/patanjalikr13/And...ctable-Spy-App. I'm not well-versed enough in spyware to know how legit this is, but it is enough to make me wonder. "AccessibilityService would be the official system app, not "AccessService."

If you tap on Vision, Hearing, and Dexterity and Interaction in that screen do any of the submenus show anything turned on?

I would also boot the phone into Safe Mode and see if that message still shows up. Which phone do you have?

Have you rooted your phone, sideloaded any apk files, or tapped a link in any browser popups lately?
    no on any relevant sub menus being turned on. I haven't tried safe mode yet (gotta figure that out). I have LG Stylo 5.

I do not remember any pop ups
    09-22-2021 03:54 AM
    If you choose settings in the pop up box instead ok where does it take you ?

it takes me to the "Accessibility" screen posted above
    09-22-2021 03:56 AM
    Having seen the app that B Diddy linked to this app really does concern me. Is there any way to remove it?

The instructions for safe mode:

The process for turning on Safe mode is as follows:

Press and hold the Power button.

Tap and hold Power off.

When the Reboot to safe mode prompt appears, tap again or tap OK.

Your device will then restart and it will say “Safe mode” in the bottom-left corner.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-22-2021 08:42 AM
    it takes me to the "Accessibility" screen posted above
    Ok at the bottom of your screen in accessibility one of the 4 is related to that message , try toggle one by one of those 4 services there on/off see which gives that pop up , it might be a extension service of one of those on the list.
    09-22-2021 09:10 AM
    no on any relevant sub menus being turned on. I haven't tried safe mode yet (gotta figure that out). I have LG Stylo 5.

I do not remember any pop ups
    Steps for Safe Mode: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ode-lg-stylo-5
    09-22-2021 11:47 AM
    Ok at the bottom of your screen in accessibility one of the 4 is related to that message , try toggle one by one of those 4 services there on/off see which gives that pop up , it might be a extension service of one of those on the list.
    Tried toggling those 4. None of them makes that message pop up.
    09-22-2021 06:04 PM
    Tried toggling those 4. None of them makes that message pop up.
    Can you uninstall any of them that u download?
    09-22-2021 06:09 PM
    Can you uninstall any of them that u download?
    Toggling them does not download anything. Not sure what you mean. I am also unable to find this "AccessService" in any files so not sure how to uninstall it.
    09-22-2021 08:55 PM
    Toggling them does not download anything. Not sure what you mean. I am also unable to find this "AccessService" in any files so not sure how to uninstall it.
    Go to settings>apps >see if it listed there if not go to settings>apps>system apps
    09-22-2021 08:57 PM
    Also u see at the bottom of your screen shot my Verizon navigation , you added that app ?
    Digital secure and switch access , did you download apps pertaining to those?
    09-22-2021 08:59 PM

I rebooted in safe mode and the message still appears when I go into that menu just as before (settings-privacy-accessibility usage). This is a good sign, right? That app must have been there when the phone was new and is part of the operating system??
    09-22-2021 09:04 PM
    Also u see at the bottom of your screen shot my Verizon navigation , you added that app ?
    Digital secure and switch access , did you download apps pertaining to those?
    The closest thing I can find in apps is "android accessibility suite" and "android auto" and "android system webview" all of which are said to have been downloaded from google play store. Also, I'm pretty sure the verizon stuff has been installed since the phone was new. I "bought" it directly from verizon. Also, there are multiple verizon apps that still appear in safe mode so they are "native" to the phone.
    09-22-2021 09:12 PM
    So it only shows up when you go to that menu?

It's a good sign that it still shows up in Safe Mode. There are some situations where malware can be installed to the system root, which wouldn't go away in Safe Mode -- but that would probably require some of the risky behavior I mentioned before (i.e., sideloading apk files or rooting the phone and installing unsavory apps).

Try going to Settings>Apps​, then tap Menu>Reset All App Preferences. Now see if the notification shows up again.
    09-22-2021 09:13 PM
    The closest thing I can find in apps is "android accessibility suite" and "android auto" and "android system webview" all of which are said to have been downloaded from google play store. Also, I'm pretty sure the verizon stuff has been installed since the phone was new. I "bought" it directly from verizon. Also, there are multiple verizon apps that still appear in safe mode so they are "native" to the phone.
    You see my accessibility menu
    I have Nova , its a 3rd party launcher , phone companion u see its a extension of Nova Android AccessService-screenshot_20210922-221406_accessibility.jpg
    09-22-2021 09:17 PM
    You see the pop up when i toggle nova on , i dont want to give it acces Android AccessService-screenshot_20210922-221940_accessibility.jpg
    09-22-2021 09:20 PM
    You see the pop up when i toggle nova on , i dont want to give it acces Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210922-221940_Accessibility.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	337320
    When I click on Digital Secure I get a similar message that says "Turn on your security features to get the ultimate protection for your device." and when I click on My Verizon Guided Navigation I get a message that says "When Assistive touch service is active, your device provides access to to read the elements present on the screen. This is used by My Verizon application to provide assistive tutorial to navigate". These have always been off
    09-22-2021 09:36 PM
    I wonder if I should just delete these verizon apps if possible.
    09-22-2021 09:37 PM
40 12