Pandora running in the background

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So, what I realized that is that even when I'm not using Pandora, it's eating up my battery in the background. I googled it, and people are forced closing and shutting down the app so that it's not a background processing. Has anyone ever done this before? Or has ever experienced this? Like my battery was at about 75% this morning and it drained me down to 50%. I didn't listen to that much music. Thanks for any advice.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've heard of TuneIn Radio causing that kind of problem as well.:-\

Oh really dude? I mean, What I am going to start testing out for myself is when my phone is using Pandora on battery vs being charged up on Android Auto, is "Force Stopping" Pandora in the background and also clearing it out of RAM even though that shouldn't really need to be done. I mean, that background activity I have been seeing for Pandora, and quite frankly for any music streaming app is very background/battery intensive. I'm not sure as to why. I'll let you know if that solution works though... :-!:confused:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, You can't battery optimize/restrict background activity of Pandora, and listen to it in the background, r even with the lock screen turned off. I tried that as well already.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm -- definitely send some feedback to the Pandora devs while you wait for any other input here.:-\

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
haha, yeah, thanks dude. I will have to, and I'm sure that Pandora devs will say, "Oh Eric did you try this step, and did you try this step, etc, etc"? lol I'll have to say oh absolutely I did!

Update: This is the posting I just sent to Pandora community. Hopefully someone is actually able to help me out! :-! :(

Hello there, My name is Eric. I am an advanced Android user with a Google Pixel 5 on Android 11. I've owned Android smartphones ever since Android first came out. I have recently noticed that if I leave Pandora music "Paused" in my background that the background activity usage/Google Play Services battery usage skyrockets which winds up severely draining my battery. What I am forced to do now, is after each music session, I go into the Pandora app settings, and "Force Close" the app from running in the background, and wipe Pandora out of RAM. Android is easily the most multi-tasking capable mobile OS ever, and I shouldn't have to "Force Close" Pandora after each and every "listening session" in order to get good battery. Are there any suggestions you can provide me with? Any help is appreciated, thank you very much!

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So, what I realized that is that even when I'm not using Pandora, it's eating up my battery in the background. I googled it, and people are forced closing and shutting down the app so that it's not a background processing. Has anyone ever done this before? Or has ever experienced this? Like my battery was at about 75% this morning and it drained me down to 50%. I didn't listen to that much music. Thanks for any advice.
Your battery dropped to 50% over what period of time?
What does it show in your battery stats?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Your battery dropped to 50% over what period of time?
What does it show in your battery stats?

So, my battery was at 80% and it dropped to 50% over the course of about 3 hours which is a lot to me. The top 2 battery culprits were Pandora at 9% battery, and Google Play Services at 9% of battery as well.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_20210125-064845.jpg
Good message

Hehe, well, why thank you very much! I appreciate it! As you can tell, I LOVE troubleshooting, diagnosing, and solving issues! That's for sure! :cool:

So, with my average usage on my phone, with extreme battery saver mode on, I can get 3 days of charge out of my battery. under slightly heavier usage, about 1 1/2 - 2 days. Not too shabby at all.

Last edited: