Setting wallpaper from my gallery; crop orientation

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I took some pictures with my old phone, which has a better camera than my currently active device, and I wanted to try them as wallpaper for the new phone. So I enabled Bluetooth on both devices and brought the pictures over. If I go to my Gallery, I can see them under "Images" and they all look fine. As it happens, they are all in portrait format, which you would think is optimal for a small Android phone that is usually held in portrait position when you first pull it out to do something.

So I long press the home screen and navigate to Wallpapers-->Gallery-->Images; so far so good except that even on the thumbnails I can see that it wants frame a landscape section of the picture. However, I click on a picture anyway. And now I see that the crop frame is oriented to landscape, so if I'm lucky I can get as much as half the picture included, and said half is blown up to fit--and loses a great deal of quality on the way.

I don't necessarily expect my photo to fit the device screen exactly, but why is the crop frame oriented in exactly the worst way? If it were aligned as a portrait I could get 90% or so of my picture in the crop frame, if not more. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there an app for this?

Baseband: LS670mvj_6150
Build number: GingerRom
Android version: 2.3.3
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-perf lg-electronics@si-rd10-BLD165 #2
SW version: LS670ZVJ

I just flashed gROM yesterday, and so far it's worked out well. I doubt that this is related to the problem, though.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
OK, now I get it. In formatting the wallpaper the system has to take into account horizontal panning of the home screen.

Now if I could just get it not to do that; there's not more than one screen-full of icons that I can't live without having on my home screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non