How will Android for phones pan out now?

sahlomonic

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
With Gingerbread 2.3 recently released, and the upcoming Honeycomb 3.0, does Gingerbread mark the last Android OS for phones since Honeycomb is not intended for phones and only for tablets? Or am I misguided?

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The OS updates are never going to end, unless for some reason android were to go out of business or be shutdown or something. Android OS will always be getting updated and being improved.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
With Gingerbread 2.3 recently released, and the upcoming Honeycomb 3.0, does Gingerbread mark the last Android OS for phones since Honeycomb is not intended for phones and only for tablets? Or am I misguided?

no they wont stop updating phones, they just have to platforms to cater to now thats all

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The best improvement they can do, stop all the fragmentation.

That wont ever happen. All of the different skins android has (Sense, TouchWiz, etc.) makes it almost impossible to stop fragmentation. Plus you have the carriers to go through, and there is so many phones with different hardware on each so it'll need to be tweaked for each phone. Fragmentation is a part of android's openness.

Bekrah

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That wont ever happen. All of the different skins android has (Sense, TouchWiz, etc.) makes it almost impossible to stop fragmentation. Plus you have the carriers to go through, and there is so many phones with different hardware on each so it'll need to be tweaked for each phone. Fragmentation is a part of android's openness.

I agree with this post.

Emitted from my Droid X via Tapatalk

KommyDroid

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

I know that.

It's part of open source.

ScotterMonkey

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I remember Andy Ruben (of Google) saying the same thing

I remember Andy Ruben (of Google) saying the same thing. Yeah, carriers are free to put their crap-ware on the phones and customize the phones. Supposed to provide us end-users with wonderful variety of OS flavors/options. I like the freedom of choosing hardware but oh I wish the bloat-ware were remove-able and the launchers more easily changeable without needing to root the phone. Yeah, it is annoying to us end-users. Of course, I'm guessing how it must feel because I have a Nexus One with stock Froyo and hopefully - ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME, GOOGLE? It will have 2.3 Gingerbread soon. Yeah, I feel a little bit lied to regarding the whole "Nexus Phones will get updates first" and they kept that promise until the Nexus S(hite) came out.

Oh and there is even bloatware on my Nexus One... I think of ANY app put on the phone that I can't remove. A bunch of default apps like, for example, the crappy default mail program. I would love to use that space for something else, Google.
</rant> All that said, I do love my phone. More than a man should :) Except for that damned lame speaker on the back. Sheesh.

beez1717

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

Google should post some guidelines that are highly recommended that would allow device updates to work regardless of phone or ui. That way if your phone will run the update you could get it. Also, it might cause earlier upgrades of software because the phone carriers would know that the latest features would be implemented fairly quickly. Might stop some of the fragmentation...

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe that Honeycomb is going to be much like iOS 4, which works on the ipad and iphone. So I think that Honeycomb is going to work on Tabs and phones. If that makes sense.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think google should put a regulation that this year, phones need to have at least 2.2 (and upgradeable to 2.3) this year. Then next year, phones need to have at least 2.3 (and upgradeable to ice cream). And follow the same pattern

This way, they aren't really forcing the manufactuers to give up something, such as different UI's and bloatware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty