S10+ SM-G975U New old stock will not update issues.

hermitress

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
New to forum. The phone just states it is up to date but last security was jan 2021 and still android 11. I realize they stopped updating this phone earlier this year but I assumed I would be able to update to android 12 and get some security updates. I mean it is 2 years behind in security updates. Assurance wireless phone store appears to be only selling discontinued phones. I paid $300 for it last month and not happy that I can't update it to the last update for this phone. It is unlocked and uses t-mobile network but not sure it was made for t-mobile or AT&T. Any help would be appreciated. I have been waiting since t-mobile takeover of sprint when they forced me off my old galaxy and gave me a really crappy phone. Very frustrated 66 year old lady. I am very computer savvy just never delved into phones to root them or use Odin to update phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Introductions forum to the S10 forum, since this is more of a question than an introduction.

Have you tried using Smart Switch to update the phone?

I'll ask @mustang7757 to weigh in as well.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you , it's an original Att device and looks like T-Mobile sim installed, can see the screenshot I highlighted your screenshot red
ATT device have been problematic in updating through the years so I can give you 2 choices
1. Flash a TMobile firmware to the latest with Odin and frija don't worry all carrier firmware are interchangeable or
2. Flash to Samsung bloat Free firmware which is model number U1 which will update if there further updates missed compared to u staying on the carrier firmware.

I have help guidelines through the forums I can help u with if needed assistance
Screenshot_20231204_234803.jpg

Reactions: B. Diddy

hermitress

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
Thank you , it's an original Att device and looks like T-Mobile sim installed, can see the screenshot I highlighted your screenshot red
ATT device have been problematic in updating through the years so I can give you 2 choices
1. Flash a TMobile firmware to the latest with Odin and frija don't worry all carrier firmware are interchangeable or
2. Flash to Samsung bloat Free firmware which is model number U1 which will update if there further updates missed compared to u staying on the carrier firmware.

I have help guidelines through the forums I can help u with if needed assistance
View attachment 358045
Is there any benefit to tmb verses samsung firmware and will I loose my data or apps?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is there any benefit to tmb verses samsung firmware and will I loose my data or apps?
No you won't lose data but always back it up with smart switch PC

The difference is unlock firmware u get updates with T-Mobile carrier firmware you might have to use Odin 1 or 2 more times for latest update and unlock doesn't have carrier start up screen or bloat

Reactions: Laura Knotek

hermitress

Dec 5, 2023
Visit site
No you won't lose data but always back it up with smart switch PC

The difference is unlock firmware u get updates with T-Mobile carrier firmware you might have to use Odin 1 or 2 more times for latest update and unlock doesn't have carrier start up screen or bloat
I ran Frija auto mode and it found the android 12 update for my phone bur it did say the csc code was TMB so assuming it is T-MOBILE flavor firmware. So I would extract the files then plug them into Odin? Downloading now

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000