Hardware buttons on ICS

14gilmsp

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
When a phone like the Rezound, that still has the standard 4 hardware buttons, is updated to ICS, will you be able to use those buttons as opposed to the onscreen ones? Or is it too soon to tell?

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
They won't have the buttons activated, it may be an option though, as we have seen with some ICS ROMS.

So one says we will use the existing capacitive (or physical) buttons in place of the on-screen ICS buttons and one says they won't be activated. Does anybody know for sure?

Once the current crop of phones gets ICS, I'm hoping it will make use of the current array of buttons instead of wasting screen real estate with the on-screen buttons. Would be a terrible waste otherwise.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This has been asked many times, and the answer is always the same (it was the same in this thread too, I think though LandLockedPH misinterpreted one of the replies) - ICS does not lose the ability to use hardware/capacitive buttons. Just look at the Nexus S (no on-screen buttons, capacitive buttons are still use) as well as the CM9 and other ICS ports to other phones that do have buttons.

There is an option in the source code to turn on the on-screen buttons, but the sane default is to disable the on-screen buttons when there are hardware/capacitive buttons present. It wouldn't make sense otherwise...

And again if you don't believe me, look at the official ICS for Nexus S.

Reactions: aartikrypton

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
patrixl - thanks for clearing this up. I assumed that to be the case, but wanted to make sure before deciding on a device other than the current Nexus. I gave the GNEX a trial from launch to last week but couldn't get over the hardware issues. So, I'm trying to decide whether to wait for MWC or pull the trigger on something else sooner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chibisaurus