Question Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955F) bricked after failed recovery mode

JonBOY26

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot an S8+ (SM-G955F). Here's a rundown of the sequence of events:

1. the phone began randomly rebooting, as frequently as every 5 mins. The phone would charge as normal and when booted it could be used as normal but would suddenly lockup for 10 - 15 seconds then reboot. So I commenced troubleshooting.
2. When the phone was booted, I checked the software version and confirmed that the latest available update had been installed. Since no updates were available, I did some searching and began following suggestions for addressing the random S8+ rebooting.
3. I powered it off then followed instructions for booting the phone into safe mode. The phone booted in safe mode, with a bunch of apps greyed out and 'safe mode' appearing in the botton corner. I scrolled around the home screen a bit and through the settings app to see if it continued to work but it kept randomly rebooting even in safe mode.
4. So, in following the troubleshooting guides, I proceeded to try to clear the cache partition. I powered off the phone, then attempted to boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Bixby and volume up buttons, then pressing and holding the power button for a while then releasing all buttons. When the phone booted I ended up at a blue screen with a picture of the Android robot and an error that said 'no command'.
5. From there, I attempted to power off the phone by pressing and holding the power button but that didn't work, so I did some searching on the 'no command' error. I found a page outlining some different button combinations that should kick the phone out of this recovery screen.
6. First, I tried holding volume up + power buttons for about 15 secs but that did nothing. Then I held the volume down + power for 15 secs and the phone powered off.
7. From there the phone is an absolute brick. I cannot power it back on no matter what button combinations I try, and I see no activity from the phone whatsoever, including the screen or LEDs. When plugged into a charger there are no LEDS or sounds. I've tried different buttons combinations while not charging, while plugged into AC power, and while plugged into PC and a Mac. The PC and Mac both do not detect the phone at all.

I've got a USB dongle that tells me the current and volts being drawn through a USB port - when the phone is plugged into the dongle to charge, I see a reading of about 1.3 amps and just under 5V, but after a few minutes that drops down to about 0.3 amps. The phone's battery was close to being fully charged at the time the bricking occurred so I'm guessing the amps drop because the battery has been topped off and stops charging.

At this stage I am stumped and would appreciate any suggestions. The phone is loaded with photos and videos that I would like to recover but at this stage I'm doubtful I'll ever even see any sign of life from this phone at all, let alone recover data.

As the phone is quite old (from 2017), I'm wondering whether installing a replacement battery might help (it was charging before but would drain fairly fast).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000