Background data disabling w/ICS?

Never-Enough

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
It appears that we cannot simply hit a check box like before to limit background data in ICS & you have to set a data limit to do it?! Stupid since some of us (myself included) have unlimited data.

Any way to remove the warning icon in the top bar that won't go away while you have background data disabled?

gsainath4u

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
One question. Why do you want to limit the background data when you have unlimited data??

You can control the background data by disabling "Auto Sync" feature under "Settings -> Accounts & Sync"

As for the warning icon in the notification bar, it is a persistant icon, to remind that something is set. Similar to how an Alarm Icon is shown when there is an Alarm set.

Sargeant002

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Settings >
Developer Options >
Limit Background Processes (found in the bottom of D.O. menu) >
Select Desired Level (by default it's on standard limit - no clue how many that allows)

I may play with this too. I'm always looking for ways for the phone to run without serious handicaps while conserving the battery as much as possible. I hope this helps!

Brian-

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Settings >
Developer Options >
Limit Background Processes (found in the bottom of D.O. menu) >
Select Desired Level (by default it's on standard limit - no clue how many that allows)

I may play with this too. I'm always looking for ways for the phone to run without serious handicaps while conserving the battery as much as possible. I hope this helps!

Brian-

I was wondering if you had time to fool around with the #'s yet? I've been wanting to change mine but not sure what to set it at lol.

Sargeant002

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I did use it some. I felt it did more harm then good. When I clear RAM on the default setting it frees up more. Everytime I would free up RAM while limited to say 4 it would free up a little less each time? At one point I had a GB of RAM in use I couldn't clear out. I haven't noticed a huge savings personally. I ended up on the stock setting again. The hunt continues...

Brian-

Sent with my at&t SGSIII

Mikaidesu

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So i have a question but everytime i try to access the play store it always asks me to enable my background data which i never disabled is there a way to fix this?

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
One question. Why do you want to limit the background data when you have unlimited data??

You can control the background data by disabling "Auto Sync" feature under "Settings -> Accounts & Sync"

As for the warning icon in the notification bar, it is a persistant icon, to remind that something is set. Similar to how an Alarm Icon is shown when there is an Alarm set.

Service in background does not need to use syncing for networking operation ;p For example Instagram which check status regardless if you got sync turn on or off

Abhiram Raghunath

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Every time i try to open the play store it says enable background data, when i click on enable it goes to the accounts&sync option and after syncing and opening the play store i get the 'enable background data' message.. can anybody help??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89