"Win-ROTT" on Android? Fact or Fiction?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess this is a general question:

Are android phones (like my S3) susceptible to what we call in the PC world: "Win-ROTT" which basically means that as the device ages, it just gets slower and slower?

On a pc, that could be from accumulated junk in the windows registry, or a fragmented hard drive.

Is there something analogous on Android?

I felt my phone was really much faster and more awesome 1 year ago.

Thanks,
Mike

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes your device can over time build up junk in the system. Normal way of clearing things up is general house cleaning of unnecessary old texts, emails, files, pics as they absorb resources it taxes the overall performance of the system. Next would be any noticeable apps that show signs of lag or slow down you could go into Settings/Apps/Manage Apps/ then find the app and you can clear CACHE on the app first and see if that improves things. Next solution would be to revisit that same app and clear DATA but do remember clearing DATA will reset any information stored within that application.

Final solution if all of the above has been met and your still seeing signs of lag or slow down in performance is perform a FACTORY RESET which is always a last result. It will however give you a clean slate to start with.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Great post, thank you!

The only thing that sounds weird is that the 10 gigs of photos can be bogging down my phone. If they are not loaded into memory, why would the phone care?

Great points about dumping cache for some of my slow apps. I just did that for opera because their new version is a dawg.

Mike