Google Play Newstand

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Is downloading on my N5 as I post. I didn't notice anyone mention this and I'm a bit surprised!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I like the UI and it's a lot more responsive than feedly. But it needs some work still.

- pictures in RSS feed view
- folders
- a widget

I'd love to use it but I don't think it will keep me away from feedly for long. One thing I would really like in an RSS reader is custom real time notifications. I don't know why there isn't one that has that.

Posted via Android Central App

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This is a very basic question but what is an RSS feed? :eek::confused:

Basically it's a service you subscribe to that websites, blogs, forums use to push out updates of information. It's a very handy way of keeping in touch with particular topics of interest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Basically it's a service you subscribe to that websites, blogs, forums use to push out updates of information. It's a very handy way of keeping in touch with particular topics of interest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you. :D That sounds good because I like to read more than listen to podcasts. I never really understood the difference between RSS and web sites so that's why I was confused.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
This was an update to currents.

-Jason

Technically it wasn't as it's impossible to update two apps into one. But they will discontinue currents and hopefully news and weather too.

After a couple days I find I'm still using it, but no save for later and folders is driving me nuts! I hope they fix that.

It's kind of like GEL for me. I find myself sacrificing usability but the smoothness and UI keep me from switching back to Action Launcher and feedly.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't installed any 3rd party launchers on my n5; like you, I'm liking the gel too much. It's so smooth and fast.

Mister Android123

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I love GEL! I was shocked the N7 didn't get it and in was pissed. I sideloaded it immediately. Love it. It gives Android a fresh look and reminds me of iOS. I love how Apple and Google are influencing each other. It's the best way.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
A little weird to have Newsstand and Currents both installed concurrently, but I am finding I prefer the layout of Newsstand overall. I've added my choices in Currents to Newsstand, deleted them from Currents and await its eventual removal..

I understand that the N7 did not get the GEL with the KitKat update (again, seems weird) but I had sideloaded it a few days ago and it remained after the update. I like it's layout and operation.

Overall, I'm liking the recent changes on my N7 (2012).

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
To be for Google plus messenger and hangout were on at the same time before phasing out.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just clicked the Play Newstand app for the first time after reading through this thread. The design is nice and easy to read - might have to give this a try for a while and see how it goes.

ManInTheBox10

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
A little weird to have Newsstand and Currents both installed concurrently, but I am finding I prefer the layout of Newsstand overall. I've added my choices in Currents to Newsstand, deleted them from Currents and await its eventual removal..

I understand that the N7 did not get the GEL with the KitKat update (again, seems weird) but I had sideloaded it a few days ago and it remained after the update. I like it's layout and operation.

Overall, I'm liking the recent changes on my N7 (2012).

I would think the biggest thing you'd prefer is the fact that articles don't appear three days late. I don't know how anyone used Currents for this reason.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalled it because it has the same issue as Currents. It builds a huge cache that it doesn't seem to intelligently manage. Apps building 250+ MB caches don't belong on my phone. I shouldn't have to manage that. There should be an option to limit cache size like in Flipboard and Google Drive. This is ludicrous.

Also doesn't endlessly scroll in many places, which is super annoying.