How Do You Edit Tags for MP3 Files on your External SD Card?

jakedsnake

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have KitKat 4.4 on my Note 3. I'd like to edit tags on mp3 / FLAC files stored on my 64GB SD card.

Is there an easy way to get this done without rooting and using a PC?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine any ID3 tag editor like MP3dit can do the job. Do a search on Google Play for "ID3" for more options.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't think they will be able to do that on KK due to the new "write permission restriction" for 3d party apps.

Skickat fr?n min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

That's a good point, although I thought an app could have a specific permission to write to the external SD. Let me look into it.

osvanberg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
That's a good point, although I thought an app could have a specific permission to write to the external SD. Let me look into it.

Good thanks! Yeah, apps have write permission for their own folder on the extSdCard! That's it! So an Idtag app would only be able to write the files in a folder created by it self. Hence there will be a problem/not possible to modify mp3s in existing folders.

Skickat fr?n min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

marcusbacus

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
And how can it be fixed? Can you change folder permissions (if it's even possible) without rooting? My MP3 are all in a (default, I suppose) folder in the SD named "media". It worked more or less fine in my old phone, a Galaxy S2. For a few files I had to use iTag to fix some of the tags in the past, but now that I've moved to a S4, it's not working. Most of the files were already tagged correctly, but any new ones I've added since that have wrong tags can't be edited, either in PlayerPro or with iTag. In Player Pro it gives me a message "failed to edit tag" or something, but in iTag it seems that it's working and it's saved, but it's not.

I use PlayerPro as my main player.

BobArnett

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
This is a long time later but, since the advent of Lollipop, the ability for third party access to sd cards is now available. A lot of MP3 Editors hobbled themselves because of previous Android restrictions and now I see a lot of mp3 editor apps for Lollipop but none on Google Play or Amazon. Not being familiar with some of these other websites or their apps, I'm a bit reluctant to download them. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

anugrahandi

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm new member just to reply this thread so I can't post any links:

search the apps "Star Music Tag Editor" on play store. it have the sdcard supports on lollipop.

csricharan

May 11, 2016
Visit site
After a lot of figuring out, I've edited MP3 tags in GoneMAD Music app with this method successfully. I've done this on an Honor 7 with Marshmallow.
Go to Apps > Go to that specific app (GoneMAD in my case) > Go to Storage > Change Storage used to SD card. Then ... Clear cache and maybe also do a restart. Now you can go to the specific app and find the Tag Editor and then go about changing tags without getting any sort of warnings. I know this is not exactly the same as figuring out how to do the same with the app in internal storage and still editing tag but hey :)

csricharan

May 11, 2016
Visit site
After a lot of figuring out, I've edited MP3 tags in GoneMAD Music app with this method successfully. I've done this on an Honor 7 with Marshmallow.
Go to Apps > Go to that specific app (GoneMAD in my case) > Go to Storage > Change Storage used to SD card. Then ... Clear cache and maybe also do a restart. Now you can go to the specific app and find the Tag Editor and then go about changing tags without getting any sort of warnings. I know this is not exactly the same as figuring out how to do the same with the app in internal storage and still editing tag but hey :)

csricharan

May 11, 2016
Visit site