Mogal

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I haven't even got my (first android) device yet and I'm worried about this already :(
I couldn't stand to be locked down by Apple any more, only to come to this :(

I guess I'me going to have to learn to root my brand new device.

Ro-gelio

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Good point!
Are you saying that this should be by practice that we can choose to give ourselves permission for external SD?
Oh, I get it... you mean that...
but maybe Google IS giving you the choice to protect yourself by default locking down external SD access. See? Now your security IS in your own hands (you have to unlock it yourself, if you want!)

Yeah, honestly, maybe it really is that they're just pushing for us to use cloud storage more so they can push the data plans.. *sigh* if this is the case, then this restriction is one of many that should be brought to the FCC to help give control back to the consumers and put the wireless industry back in check! End quote...

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Can't write to external storage. Who's bright idea (not) was that? Had i know about that in advance i WOULD NOT have installed 4.4 kitkit!

You're preaching to the choir. I think most of us who were initially drawn to Android, were attracted because it was an open and customizable OS. For me, blocking write access to my ext sd card from within apps is like forcing me to uninstall Windows 7 and replacing it with Windows 8. I won't do that either. And, you can bet that I will never install an OS upgrade without thoroughly researching it first ( something I didn't do with kitkat). Now, for my clumsy solution.

I use ES File Explorer from the playstore. I save to device and then move/ copy the file to my ext hd. For files I keep updating, I copy the updated files to my ext hd. I won't do cloud storage because, for me, the potential for privacy violations or data loss is too great. I don't like signing a waiver of responsibility if Google or anyone else loses my data, etc.

My clumsy solution until I find a smarter way to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez