Unrooted the device, Now I can't re-root.. What to do?

Aserar

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone

My device is on kitkat and I rooted it when I first got it. but recently the lollipop OTA update was released, and it cant be updated if it was rooted. So I used an app called "Universal Unroot" to unroot it, but I decided to postpone the OS update and root the device again. But now the device cannot be rooted and root software says the device is not supported.
What are my options now to have the device rooted again? Will a hard rest restore whatever the unroot software done? Is the only option is to flash a new rom? Is this even an option?

Thanks in advance

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
4.4.2 or 4.4.4? What's the kernel date?

Your questions can't be answered without that information.

As for flashing a new ROM, there's almost always that option. (Finding one to flash to a cheap Chinese clone may not be possible.) What and how depends on the make and model of the phone. Backing everything up, reflashing and restoring would give you back your original, rootable, phone. We have some guides and can point you to others, depending on the phone, but for backing up, see Backing up an Android Phone.

Aserar

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for response
it's 4.4.2 Kernel v. 3.4.0 the device is LG d838. There are lots of roms but I rather avoid that option as I don't have custom recovery installed and my knowledge in this area hasn't gone farther than depending on custom recovery (I've been an iPhone user since Gingerbread. I'm quite ashamed). The other issue is backing up my data without custom recovery. I hope it's possible to to avoid going back to stock settings all together whether hard rest or rom flashing. Please give me a good news.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Kernel DATE. If it's June 2, 2014 or earlier, Towel Root. Otherwise look in the LG G Pro 2 - XDA Forums subforums for help.

(The G Pro has an early enough kernel for Towel Root, so the 2 may also have.)

As for backing up - which you should do any time you make any major change - like take new picture that's important, add a new app - see Backing up an Android Device.

No hard reset for either backing up or rooting. LG doesn't give you much of a "recovery". If you do decide to add one, it seems as if CWM is the favorite of the LG crowd, although I prefer TWRP, but they're both good - and you will probably lose all your data if you do install a custom recovery. (My only experience with the Pro is that I'm repairing one for someone, and she wants it stock, so I haven't experimented with custom recoveries on it.)

Aserar

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I used towel root to root my device when I first got it. it's great, but after unrooting with this Universal Unroot app, I did try it, and other tools, but they didn't work. What did work was a software named DP Tools available on XDA. but it ONLY worked somehow after I hard rested the device.
Generally I advice against using this "Universal Unroot" app. It's like burning a hard drive to get rid of an unwanted file!. There are several good apps for unrooting, which back up the root access for restoring later.

Bj Charity

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my galaxy s6 5.1.1 I unrooted it and and now it says the kurnel is not reboot able what do I do please help

jjrtodd

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy light SGH-T399N VERSION 4.4.2... I used Kingo Root and was finally able to re-root. Hope this helps.

Last edited: