What are your impressions of Android L?

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I like the new multitasking interface. Visually, L looks evolutionary rather than revolutionary. But I think that's a good thing.

Android had it´s revolutionary makeover in the Honeycomb/ICS days. Apple had theirs with the transition to iOS7. I think at this stage updates are going to be evolutionary. I agree with you, that is a good thing. No need for jarring changes every year.

haikallp

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
My main concerns are mostly on the UI. I love 70% of the UI changes, but some are weird and frankly, ugly

THE UGLY
1) The navigation bar. It looks childish and isn't informative. The current navigation bar is perfect IMO.
2) The notification shade. If you guys head over to YouTube and search for,"Android L Hands on", there's a video showing the notification shade in action. It looks disorganixrd . Again, the current notification shade looks better. All they need to do is add connectivity shortcuts at the top and change the font and pallet here and there.

THE "REMAINS-TO-BE-SEEN"
1) The redesigned multitasking interface. Now, you have to scroll through a carousel to jump to the previous app and if you have multiple chrome tabs open, there's more scrolling. I won't say the current style is perfect, but it seems to be more intuitive.
2) The animations. Sure some are really eye-pleasing but there seems to be a little to much; especially the ripple effect on button presses.
3) The actionable lockscreen notifications. Again, I feel that it could have been done better. Google should take a page from 3rd party apps like 'DynamicNotifications' and 'Peek'. To early to give judgment, so we'll see how it pans out.

THE GOOD
1) Project Volta. Stock now comes with battery saver mode. A little late to the action, but a welcome addition.
2) ART as default. Expected, but still a nice change.
2) The rest of the UI elements. E.g. Gmail, Gallery, Settings.

That's just my opinion. Its not final since I've yet to use it :)

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Android had it´s revolutionary makeover in the Honeycomb/ICS days. Apple had theirs with the transition to iOS7. I think at this stage updates are going to be evolutionary. I agree with you, that is a good thing. No need for jarring changes every year.

..but "jarring changes" is what everyone expects ever year. :(

Last edited:

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
What do you guys think about the new multitasking view? I like the cards theme, but I think would make life difficult when using information from one window to populate fields in another.

ferriman

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The notification bar have some issues IMHO. You need two swipes to fully open it. In kitkat you can open all notifications with a single up to down swipe, now, you must do two actions.

jrsnively1

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you 100%, I flashed it today, and the animations are ugly, the notification menu, and multitasking were both steps backwards, and ugly, and the keyboard is horrendous! Thank goodness for the openness of android, cause things are gonna get changed, whether goggle does it or not lol.

Posted via Android Central App

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Performance and app comaptibilty are great but what got butchered is the notification bar and keyboard no lines on the keyboard really made it tough for me so I installed Swiftkey the second after I typed my google account in setup lol but overall performance is great on my end the snapdragon s4 pro really stands up good almost 2 years later ( of course some thanks goes to google for software optimization) but overall its nice let's just hope OEMS don't butcher it

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The option to revert to the oldest and second oldest keyboard layout is still in the advanced options of the keyboard

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

tcee-

May 12, 2014
Visit site
is anybody having trouble running the native twitter app? mine crashes as soon as i open it "unfortunately twitter has stopped working"

tcee-

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Twitter crashes always and I also had Dropbox crash but recover after login.

ah that's disappointing. oh well, guess this is a developer preview after all. also, my backed up photos aren't showing up on my device, anyone have insight on that? i think i might revert back to kitkat over the weekend, nothing here that is intriguing enough for me to put up with the early adopter bugs lol

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
ah that's disappointing. oh well, guess this is a developer preview after all. also, my backed up photos aren't showing up on my device, anyone have insight on that? i think i might revert back to kitkat over the weekend, nothing here that is intriguing enough for me to put up with the early adopter bugs lol

Open Google+, click on "Everything" under your name and select photos and have it load from there. After that it should load from the Photos icon.