07-02-2018 10:07 PM
102 123 ...
tools
    Is there a way? They're kinda annoying. I don't want texts popping up while I'm watching videos.

Posted via Android Central App on The Nexus 5
    LezCronut, Akakios and darkneon like this.
    11-17-2014 07:59 PM
    Go to settings>sound and notifications>app notifications. Turn em off from there.

Posted via the Android Central App
    mvasquez009 likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:03 PM
    I don't want to turn off notifications completely. I just don't want the pop-up that appears at the top of my screen. I still want the phone to go off when I get a text.

11-19-2014 02:10 AM
    As above. Select "When device is locked" - Don't show notifications at all.

11-19-2014 03:29 AM
    As above. Select "When device is locked" - Don't show notifications at all.

I do not think that is what he means. He is talking about if you are in an app and the message appears as a banner up top, similar to IOS. I do not think you can turn that off.

The notifications use to appear as an icon in the status bar, now they are a banner in addition to the icon.
    11-19-2014 07:22 AM
    I do not think that is what he means. He is talking about if you are in an app and the message appears as a banner up top, similar to IOS. I do not think you can turn that off.

The notifications use to appear as an icon in the status bar, now they are a banner in addition to the icon.
    Does that apply specifically to "messages"? I just sent myself an email from my PC while browsing pictures on my Nexus 5; I heard the notification sound and got the GMail icon in the notification bar, but no banner of any kind. And that is with Notifications enabled.

If I send an email to myself while the phone is locked, I do get the lockscreen banner when I turn the phone on...
    11-19-2014 07:54 AM
    Does that apply specifically to "messages"? I just sent myself an email from my PC while browsing pictures on my Nexus 5; I heard the notification sound and got the GMail icon in the notification bar, but no banner of any kind. And that is with Notifications enabled.

It must be. I use messages and just tested it

If I send an email to myself while the phone is locked, I do get the lockscreen banner when I turn the phone on...
    It must be. I uses messages and just tested it

Attached Thumbnails Can You Turn Off the Pop-up Text Notifications???-323.jpg  
    LezCronut likes this.
    11-19-2014 08:39 AM
    Hangouts does it too.

11-19-2014 09:48 AM
    Hangouts does it too.
    Looks like it depends upon the app. Hangouts does it, like you say. OTOH, GMail / Inbox / GroupMe only show icons. I'd assume that the SDK allows an application developer to specify how the notification shows up when the phone is not locked.

For the Hangouts shade, you can slide it up to get it off the screen.
    11-19-2014 12:37 PM
    Looks like it depends upon the app. Hangouts does it, like you say. OTOH, GMail / Inbox / GroupMe only show icons. I'd assume that the SDK allows an application developer to specify how the notification shows up when the phone is not locked.

For the Hangouts shade, you can slide it up to get it off the screen.
    I think this is exactly the point. These complaints for the most part are probably not native to the OS but to the various apps. A few months down the road we may see many apps being updated to make better use of the capabilities and features of the new OS.
    daihard2008 and droidman2177 like this.
    11-19-2014 01:10 PM
    If you go to settings security and turn on pinning, your texts won't pop on top of whatever screen you have pinned. It just worked for me anyway!
    11-25-2014 05:05 PM
    @MarkSeven: LOL I made the same thread yesterday. I am very annoyed by hangouts banner. Geeezzz
    11-25-2014 10:32 PM
    Thanks for ur input everyone. I realized after using Textra that it is indeed up to the dev/app because Textra has as option to turn it off. The "floating notification", as they call it, doesn't play nice with the lockscreen or Daydream and the Textra ppl are blaming SwiftKey. Yeah Idk.. Lol

12-01-2014 01:35 PM
    for whatsapp is the same, i want to disable text popup, i already disabled it on app, but it still appear.. when i turn off on notification, nothing appear.
    12-17-2014 05:52 AM
    Is ther any new informations about this? These "floating notifications" are what's currently holding me back from Android L.

What did Google think they were doing? Silent mode removed, now even giving incompetent devs to show massive pop-ups...
    01-06-2015 02:59 AM
    Silent mode is still here, and it's even easier to use than before. It just has s new name.
    daihard2008 likes this.
    01-06-2015 02:02 PM
    nothing yet
    01-10-2015 05:55 PM
    Hi I'm having the same problem I want to turn off the whatsapp preview that appears when my screen is on but I still want to receive a notification that I have received a message.
    Pop up is off in the whatsapp settings.
    but when I turn it off on the actual phone I then receive no notification that I have received a message can anyone please help!
    02-10-2015 02:29 AM
    I am having this same issue with WhatsApp after updating my phone last night. It is more than frustrating. All settings within the app are set to NO pop-up..yet this stupid banner still pops up on my screen with a message. Please say there is a way to fix this!

Hi I'm having the same problem I want to turn off the whatsapp preview that appears when my screen is on but I still want to receive a notification that I have received a message.
    Pop up is off in the whatsapp settings.
    but when I turn it off on the actual phone I then receive no notification that I have received a message can anyone please help!
    tonyr6 likes this.
    02-10-2015 01:11 PM
    Loved some new stuff from lollipop, but notifications changes are making me crazy.
    02-19-2015 07:58 AM
    Having this issue with GroupMe since 5.0. I can't stand how it pops up as a banner over any application or screen I'm in. I want the old notification tray at the top ONLY.

I can deal with the new lock screen, but having the banner pop up is extremely annoying.
    02-24-2015 03:01 PM
    In the sound and notifications, click on block all messages from the particular app. Just did it for WhatsApp.
    03-05-2015 10:57 PM
    Why on earth would we want no notifications? The only time I use the feature you recommended is when I'm showing someone something on my phone and don't want the dumb banner showing my PRIVATE conversation to display to them. Private= every conversation. So frustrating, these notifications.
    03-06-2015 07:21 AM
    Is ther any new informations about this? These "floating notifications" are what's currently holding me back from Android L.

What did Google think they were doing? Silent mode removed, now even giving incompetent devs to show massive pop-ups...
    Yeah I hear ya. I just happened to get a replacement phone (S5) via warranty and it came without Lollipop, thankfully. I won't be upgrading until there's an option in Whatsapp to turn off those popups. If the option doesn't come, I'll have to switch to another chat app in order to upgrade.
    03-06-2015 07:30 AM
    Is there a way? They're kinda annoying. I don't want texts popping up while I'm watching videos.

Go inside messaging settings to notification unclick pop up and theres one for preview too
    03-07-2015 12:17 PM
102 123 ...