Battery drain with screen on?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I noticed since I got Lollipop on my Nexus 5 that if I do anything with the screen on (brightness is set to 10) the battery drains fast. It is even worse when streaming something in the background. I had 99% battery and was streaming music and just checking a couple of forums and the battery went down 4% in less than 10 minutes.

I then at 95% battery streamed music on DI at 320kbps MP3 only waking up the screen about 4 times to check the time and my battery drain was normal about 15% in about 2 1/2 hours. I then stopped the stream and updated some apps and downloaded on and opened it at in that time my battery went down 2% all the time while the screen was on.

I think it is that material design junk that drains the battery while the screen is on. While the screen is off I do get normal battery drain I had with KitKat.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried clearing your device's cache? Most users seem to agree that this helps A LOT
Yes I even did a factory reset beforehand. I am finding that clearing the device cache is just a placebo effect. It never makes a difference.

I am most likely getting normal drain it is just that material design junk I can't turn off and no dark theme seems to drain the battery faster with the screen on.

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes I even did a factory reset beforehand. I am finding that clearing the device cache is just a placebo effect. It never makes a difference.

I am most likely getting normal drain it is just that material design junk I can't turn off and no dark theme seems to drain the battery faster with the screen on.
Absolutely not! Battery life in Lollipop in better than KitKat, for me at least.

Try another factory reset, although when setting it up, start from new and only install the necessary trusted apps.

EDIT: I thought you said it went from 99% to 4% in 10 minutes. I've just calculated, 4% every 10 minutes with the screen on is 4.16 hours SOT. It could be better depending on your brightness and other settings.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This is bull. Just fully charged my Nexus 5 and not even 10 minutes with it off it is down to 98% and yes I did reboot it a hour ago while charge and did a stupid cache partition wipe.

Edit now down to 97% with no use. I am going to reboot this device 5.0 again.

smallbrains

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 5 has been fine with lollipop until about 20 mins ago. Lost 20% charge in 20 mins. After checking battery status is says I have 3 hours left with 80% charge. Not even using WiFi so very odd.

Posted via the Android Central App

ACADM

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've been getting this since the update to L; I've turned the screen brightness all the way down but it hasn't made any difference. The battery just drains away without the screen on so I'm having to charge it throughout the day, and this wasn't a problem on KitKat.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87