Contacts not searchable in dialer?

Nerelda

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So before I do a factory reset (which will be my last ditch effort), I'm trying to find out why I'm having this problem since the update to Lollipop.

Phone: Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon
Android version: 5.0.1

Issue:
Some of my contacts are not searchable in the dialer. For instance, I can look up Jack Smith* while typing his name in to the dialer, but when I type in Jane Wilder*, she is nowhere to be found. If I go directly to the contacts list instead of the dialer, I can find them there, however sometimes it's faster to just type their name into the dialer.

I have tried restarting the phone, pulling the battery for several minutes, clearing the dialer and contacts cache. Nothing has worked so far. I would prefer not to do a factory reset if possible, so I'm looking for other suggestions. I have also googled this issue for the last few hours and have not found anything on this particular issue.

There are no special characters or anything of the sort on the people I am trying to locate in the dialer.

Last edited:

kamilbutt

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
So before I do a factory reset (which will be my last ditch effort), I'm trying to find out why I'm having this problem since the update to Lollipop.

Phone: Galaxy S4
Carrier: Verizon
Android version: 5.0.1

Issue:
Some of my contacts are not searchable in the dialer. For instance, I can look up Jack Smith* while typing his name in to the dialer, but when I type in Jane Wilder*, she is nowhere to be found. If I go directly to the contacts list instead of the dialer, I can find them there, however sometimes it's faster to just type their name into the dialer.

I have tried restarting the phone, pulling the battery for several minutes, clearing the dialer and contacts cache. Nothing has worked so far. I would prefer not to do a factory reset if possible, so I'm looking for other suggestions. I have also googled this issue for the last few hours and have not found anything on this particular issue.
Kamil ****

Sent from my it1453 using Tapatalk

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you checked if there's an special character or an emoji in any of those contacts? I remember some people having problems with that right after Lollipop.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, I FINALLY found someone with the same issue and here was the thread for them and how it was fixed (in case someone else comes across this)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ntact-search-can-t-find-certain-contacts.html

This still doesn't explain WHY this is happening. I'm assuming a stupid glitch, which I'm hoping gets fixed. In the meantime, I'll just do this for the few I need quick access to now.

When you go to the contacts list, are all your contacts showing up? And if you manually dial the phone number of a particular contact from the dialer, is it getting recognized?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty