Gallery, the photo murderer on my LG G Stylo phone

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
On my "LG G Stylo" from MetroPCS when I have a picture showing in Gallery, there is the familiar little trashcan icon on top, and if you press it, even accidentally - onethousand one, onethousand two, GONE. The photo is gone forever. If you touch that icon, you have 2 seconds to hit undo, or it's apparently irrecoverably erased. No later undo, no option anywhere for a delete confirmation. I hope I'm wrong, but it appears to be the case.

Yeah. And that 2 second window doesn't help unless you're lightning fast to mash it; or more often, you might not have even seen the undo option at all because you weren't watching the screen at the time, and the undo window burned off before you even saw that the crime was occurring. How about this: you have a picture of you and the Pope, and you hand your phone over to a friend. The friend's finger presses the edge of the screen as you hand the phone to him. Bam. Gone. Forever.

I'm getting the impression that even though this is one of the few featured phones at MetroPCS that hardly anyone has this phone - there's not even a subforum here. Maybe it's just my phone that has this? Or do other Android users have to contend with this absolutely incompetently designed horror? And if any of you suffer in this predicament, what is your defense or workaround?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! With most Gallery apps, if you tap the delete button, a message will pop up asking you to confirm the deletion. That doesn't happen? In that case, I'd suggest installing a different gallery app--the Google Photos app would be a good alternative. Swipe in from left on that app and tap Device Folders to see only the locally saved photos.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
No kidding, there is no confirmation prompt, and if there is a setting for that, it's hidden or non-existent.

Yes I sometimes use Google Photos too and recognize some of its grouping advantages. However I hope that there is another answer than "don't use gallery!"

I would appreciate it if another LG user confirms or denies this behavior so I know if it's just the Stylo implementation of Gallery. (I have no hope of a LG G Stylo user answering since it seems like I am the only person alive that owns one!)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since the Gallery app is often the same across contemporary phone models from the same manufacturer, let me see if any G3 or G4 users see this behavior as well.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
So the loss of an irreplaceable Pope photo scenario also applies to you, Golf. So multiple LG phones are affected. Thank you for confirming, really, but, this is chilling. And stunning. How could LG possibly be that inept, not to let users opt for a confirmation on delete?

Does anyone own an LG that does *not* irrecoverably delete if you don't stop it?

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
One last hope, is there maybe a trash area? Like when an email is deleted, you have a final recourse before the trashcan is purged?

And no one responded to "Does anyone own an LG that does *not* irrecoverably delete if you don't stop it?" - so let me try just once more, because that's just so astounding and devastating:

If you are an LG owner, in Gallery on a photo, and your thumb touches the trashcan (perhaps as you hand the phone to your friend to show them a picture), do you NOT get the following result, that a 2 seconds countdown (or 5) begins for undoing the photo delete, or the photo is permanently gone? I'd be shocked if this was the design for Gallery in every LG, and hoping that my and Golf's experience is exceptional.

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
My LG Transpyre gives a yes/no prompt before the photo is deleted.

That phone released in 2014 though, and it's based on the G3 interface. I haven't used a more recent LG phone, but it sounds like this issue is limited to 2015 LG phones, because they changed the interface on those phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 54998.jpg
    54998.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana