Google announces Android M, coming in Developer Preview before a Q3 release.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They're announcing M while L is still loaded with bugs. Typical. I'll pass.

"The first big feature is selective app permissions, which lets you pick and choose which permissions you let an app have." Yawn. I've had an app to do that for ages.

"Another large bit of Android M is the new payment initiative, Android Pay." Another yawn. I've been using plastic for almost 50 years, and my swiping fingers haven't worn out yet.

"Android M is also integrating with fingerprint sensors at the system level" Translation - we need a reason for 75% of our customers to buy new hardware - the manufacturers are looking at an almost saturated market.

"Google says that a Nexus 9 running on M can get almost twice the battery life as one running Lollipop." I'm getting the same life on 4.3 as my wife gets on 5.0. So another yawn.

"There's also a new Google Chrome experience"Which I only use for things that other browsers won't do (like adding printers to my Google cloud account), so I don't care.

"Android M also includes app-to-app linking" Finally. Someone at Google actually looked at what Linux can do.

Now how about some real innovations? Like multiboot? Like putting back the external SD card and stop confusing people by naming a folder in internal storage "sdcard" and making it the 0 device? Like going back to removable batteries? Like taking out the emulator and making Android apps run in native code (meaning that all the CPUs used in Android phones will have to run the same instruction set)? Boy, does Apple have Google over a barrel on that one. With a 12 foot kangaroo-skin bull whip.

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

"The first big feature is selective app permissions, which lets you pick and choose which permissions you let an app have." Yawn. I've had an app to do that for ages.

"Another large bit of Android M is the new payment initiative, Android Pay." Another yawn. I've been using plastic for almost 50 years, and my swiping fingers haven't worn out yet.

"Android M is also integrating with fingerprint sensors at the system level" Translation - we need a reason for 75% of our customers to buy new hardware - the manufacturers are looking at an almost saturated market.

"Google says that a Nexus 9 running on M can get almost twice the battery life as one running Lollipop." I'm getting the same life on 4.3 as my wife gets on 5.0. So another yawn.

"There's also a new Google Chrome experience"Which I only use for things that other browsers won't do (like adding printers to my Google cloud account), so I don't care.

"Android M also includes app-to-app linking" Finally. Someone at Google actually looked at what Linux can do.

Now how about some real innovations? Like multiboot? Like putting back the external SD card and stop confusing people by naming a folder in internal storage "sdcard" and making it the 0 device? Like going back to removable batteries? Like taking out the emulator and making Android apps run in native code (meaning that all the CPUs used in Android phones will have to run the same instruction set)? Boy, does Apple have Google over a barrel on that one. With a 12 foot kangaroo-skin bull whip.

The whole point of M is to smooth out the bugs in Lollipop. Did you even watch or listen to what was said or just jump to your conclusion before hand?

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The whole point of M is to smooth out the bugs in Lollipop. Did you even watch or listen to what was said or just jump to your conclusion before hand?

Then let's smooth out the bugs in Lollipop!
I agree with Rukbat!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I have the dev preview.

Volume is fixed.

It has a dark mode.

Thinks that we've had to root for or get "skinned" versions of Android for in the past are now included right off the bat.

It's lightning fast - haven't had it long enough to report on battery life, but it's quick.

So far I'm a fan.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So I have the dev preview.

Volume is fixed.

It has a dark mode.

Thinks that we've had to root for or get "skinned" versions of Android for in the past are now included right off the bat.

It's lightning fast - haven't had it long enough to report on battery life, but it's quick.

So far I'm a fan.

Sounds great! Wish we could download it and bypass Lollipop! I guess we struggle through till then!

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site

Geez calm down. You haven't even used the software yet. Lighten up

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

What's the difference between them using a new letter and them sticking with 5.2 Lollipop? Heck, it might just be 5.2 with a new name. Either way, you're still getting the same amount of wait time before you get it. This seems like a lot of complaining over nothing.

Edit: Also, a lot of the things you yawn about are things that will help the average consumer. The things you mention are hit and miss as to whether or not they're going to help the average person.

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

...most of those are choices by the manufacturer, not Google. You can't root an iPhone, so multiboot is impossible on an iPhone. There's no microSD port built into any Apple device, whereas about 50% of Android devices do have that. You have no way of even opening your iPhone, at least some Androids you can pop the back even if they have a built-in battery (my friend did that to his Nexus 5). And all devices running iOS are built by Apple, therefore they don't have to worry about emulators and all that, since every phone is built on almost the exact same architecture. Meanwhile, you can choose your phone, something that Apple does not "have Google over a barrel." In fact, the native code point is the only thing that people can say Apple beats Google over.

Posted via my amazingly smexy Nexus 6 yo

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, Google needs to continue creating updates to and fixes for Lollipop, 5.1.2,5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.2 ext.. Older phones that got Lollipop won't get Marshmallow, so those people need bug fixes and updates for Lollipop. Marshmallow is just a glorified Lollipop patch.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19