Doze vs. Android Device Manager

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It appears, based on very limited testing, that a phone (Nexus 6P, in my case) which is dozing cannot be located by Android Device Manager. Can someone confirm?

What does this mean for other functions of ADM, such as remote wipe, lock, and password reset?

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Doze needs a lot of work, a lot of apps will stop sending notifications and even stop responding when Doze is active, Marshmallow was rushed. And yes, those devices affected by buggy upgrades won't be able to be located / wiped / reset remotely when Doze is active.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I can understand the ADM concern, I have not considered that on mine.

Doze needs a lot of work, a lot of apps will stop sending notifications and even stop responding when Doze is active, Marshmallow was rushed. And yes, those devices affected by buggy upgrades won't be able to be located / wiped / reset remotely when Doze is active.

What apps? Have you considered the point of doze is to reduce battery usage? If you have a dozen apps trying to send notifications, they're also likely trying to sync to get that information to display, this uses battery power. Google designed Doze to allow the critical stuff to work - phone calls and text messages - without any changes by the user, allowing other apps to notify during Doze just requires a few taps. Even GOOGLE apps such as Gmail don't sync during Doze.

You can change what apps will doze and what apps won't - when looking at your battery usage screen, tap the overflow menu (3 dots in the top right) and select battery optimization, tap where it says not optimized and then select all apps. On this screen, tap the app you want to ignore Doze and change the option to don't optimize, that app will no longer stop notifying when Doze is active.

I think the other point is this - if you're at your desk at work, your phone is on your desk as is your computer, you can access many of the same places from your computer making notifications from your phone redundant. If your phone is on a table next to your bed at night, and not charging, do you REALLY want notifications ringing all night? Though scheduled DnD solves that issue I guess.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Though scheduled DnD solves that issue I guess.

exactly, I can have notifications ready for me when I wake up and they didn't disturb me, Doze does not make that much of a difference battery-wise, maybe 1-2% extra (at least in my device) except that some notifications get lost when I decide to sleep (I'm a translator and my sleep schedule is funky, I can't be all the time fiddling with Doze, I just turn on DnD mode).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2