Internal storage full - but SD card not

Paul Capewell

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Am I missing something? I have a 2015 Moto G3 8GB and so I was thrilled to see Marshmallow allows you to use SD cards as adoptable internal storage.

Now I have this all set up (SD set as adopted internal storage), I am still getting issues with internal storage filling up, despite the SD card having plenty of space left. Does this function not work as I expected?

I've noticed that I cannot manually move some apps to SD, as before. But doesn't this new feature mean it shouldn't matter where everything is stored?

I'm just wondering if I've missed anything, or if others see similar behaviour.

edit: see attached image

Screenshot_20160216-124335.png

ngnetzky

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Adoptable Storage was one of the most pointless feature for Android 6. As you're finding out, it's not working much differently than previous versions of Android. Most apps simply won't install onto the adoptable storage (aka the SD card), just like in previous versions of Android. However, it's a minor improvement compared to older versions of Android, now when a app does install onto the adoptable storage, majority of that apps files and data (95-99%) is now solely contain within the adoptable storage device. It's also far more secured in Android 6. Yet, this feature was not what most people or even the media portray this to be. I hope this helps.

jaydog69

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's terrible. I'm facing the same issue. Combining the sd card to internal means that you can't save photos taken with the camera to the sd card. Or you can't transfer apps to sd any more if you format as portable storage.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
why did you guys "upgrade" to Marshmallow ? it was said over and over that adoptable storage was a pain and not implemented well in Marshmallow, why didn't you stay on 5.1.1 ?

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
It's crap but one thing I did notice is that if you start off installing apps before formatting the sdcard to internal you have to physically move the apps. It was better in my case as the system automatically moving them caused problems every time. If I moved the games and some apps manually it was better.

That being said when I get my shield tablet back I will be staying with lollipop. My moto x p I am running portable storage so I am still on marshmallow. I may go back on it though, not sure. I like moving things like my sygic maps to sdcard but I cannot in marshmallow as it's not allowed. The shield is only 16gb so to run in portable I need to move apps, lollipop is it. I really hate adoptive mode.

Adoptable Storage was one of the most pointless feature for Android 6. As you're finding out, it's not working much differently than previous versions of Android. Most apps simply won't install onto the adoptable storage (aka the SD card), just like in previous versions of Android.

I had some apps disappear if moved to the sd card in adoptive.

Am I missing something? I have a 2015 Moto G3 8GB and so I was thrilled to see Marshmallow allows you to use SD cards as adoptable internal storage.

Now I have this all set up (SD set as adopted internal storage), I am still getting issues with internal storage filling up, despite the SD card having plenty of space left. Does this function not work as I expected?

I've noticed that I cannot manually move some apps to SD, as before. But doesn't this new feature mean it shouldn't matter where everything is stored?

I'm just wondering if I've missed anything, or if others see similar behaviour.

edit: see attached image

View attachment 216591

jaydog69

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded because it's a new version of Android... the minor issues I read about adoptable storage I thought I could live with, but not being able to save photos to the SD card as they are taken if you use adoptable storage OR not being able to transfer apps to SD if you opt out of adoptable storage is a big problem. I never heard about this when I researched MM.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded because it's a new version of Android... the minor issues I read about adoptable storage I thought I could live with, but not being able to save photos to the SD card as they are taken if you use adoptable storage OR not being able to transfer apps to SD if you opt out of adoptable storage is a big problem. I never heard about this when I researched MM.

newer is not always better (unless you have a Nexus) but you can always flash 5.1.1 back.

ylap

May 8, 2013
Visit site
A. Not all apps are compatible with moving to SD card.
B. If the moved app is updated via Google Play it will be moved back to internal, so you will have to move it back to SD after each update.
C. To make the SD card as default storage for camera etc. you have to move all files via SD card settings after adoption. If you have not done this, internal storage will remain as default.

I hope this will clear the things. All points confirmed by my personal experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress