Is there currently an app or mod that would permit the user to selectively enable/disable (easily) whether or not SOME notification events are "silenced"?

Example: I turn off the ringer for the phone, but I actually want "most" of the calls silenced EXCEPT a few that are on my special people's list. Ditto for any other notification events.

I am a programmer of many decades. However I have never written code for Android and/or mobile devices.

Essentially what I want would require a user configurable filter between layer where the event is detected (incoming call, message, etc) and the layer where the notification(s) are invoked.

Does this exist? If not, could it be written or does the "stack" of OS layers etc not allow for this flexibility?

Feel free to get as technical as possible. What I lack experience on I can research. Just point me in the right direction.

06-22-2017 08:11 PM
    I think you can do this with the 'Do not Disturb' mode, where you can select calls to still come through as well as 'High Importance' app notifications.

You can also use an automation app like Tasker or IFTTT, but not sure that you won't need root for the app to be able to 'intercept' notifications.
    06-22-2017 08:44 PM