Android N custom ringtone functionality

tehWever

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 6 dev prev3 here. Its been done, on stock, for years with any file manager out there - you select mp3 and tap set as ringtone. It would be set as one, and the file would be permanently listed amont all other system provided sounds from the rollout menu. Now the functionality is gone. set as ringtone doesnt change it and doesnt add it to the list, which forces us to use stock ringtone, notification and alarm tone. Did anyone found a workaround to this?

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've never used the option you refer to so I can't say whether it was removed or changed in "N" or not. But you can still use any MP3 as a custom ringtone.... just add it to the "Ringtones" folder and then select it like any other ringtone. Ditto for notification sounds.... add the MP3 to the "Notifications" folder and select it like any other notification sound. Maybe not quite as convenient, but it works fine including in "N".

Paul

chrisliphart

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I may be an old man in the Android world, but I've always just sorted my custom tones into the Ringtones, Notifications, and Alarms folders on my phone. Every once in a while I'll use Zedge to find and assign a tone, but I actually keep those 3 folders backed up so I can easily drop them back on a new or wiped phone and have them ready to go.

tehWever

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey I forgot about the folder thing! Trying it now
Edit: Success, I've been using the aformentioned method for so long I forgot the old school ones :D

Last edited:

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
You can't access the built in sounds to modify them, but any MP3 (customized or not) placed in the Notifications or Ringtones folders becomes available to use.

Paul

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I just wiped my phone and ran into this. I previously had this working before and after upgrading (it was set under M) but now I can't set a custom sound under N with the stock alarm app on the 6P.

Put the same mp3 in notifications, alarms, and ringtone but it doesn't show up in the alarm app.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Wait found it. In settings under sound you can set the default alarm sound and this does allow you to chose a file picker like ES File so you can chose any old mp3 anywhere. Then in the alarm app it will show up in the list to be selected if it isn't already.

Yeah that's a step backwards.

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the N5X, not the N6P. At least on the N5X if I put an MP3 in the Alarms folder, it becomes available to the clock (alarm sound) and notification settings (default alarm sound).

By "alarm app" do you mean the clock, or something else?

Paul

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what else to tell you. It DOES work. But that said, I do seem to recall a while back (not 100% sure) that one of my MP3s showed up as a ringtone but not as a notification. Not sure if perhaps it was too long? Or maybe an incompatible bitrate? I didn't consider it important and did not investigate further.

Paul

Last edited:

alison actually

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I just did this on a pixel. I added an alarm using zedge and it worked as expected. I tried adding an mp3 to use as a ringtone but it didnt show up in my list of choices. I copied the mp3 to all the ringtone, music, download folders and eventually it appeared in the list as '0'. No sign of the actual name, but it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer