Beginning Android App Programmin

bern75

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I am looking to get into creating apps for Android, focusing particularly on games. I have been looking for weeks into and trying to decide which development kit to use. The problem with looking for this information through internet is returns so MUCH information out there and I need some first hand experience. What I figured I would do is list a few bullets so people can see what I am actually trying to do and impart some wisdom to me on which program I should use to great my apps.

- Looking mainly to create games but will also want to create a few apps.

- Is the new Android Studio, Xamarin,

- Are there any great channels on Android programming

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

msftguy

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi Bern glad you are thinking about it.

Download Android studio 1.0 which is a recent stable release also install java 7 and start messing up with android studio. there are tons of videos and help available on youtube and stack overflow. also keep checking android manual for APIs. Xamarin is a great tool to write cross platform in C# but it's a paid app (just to keep in mind)

robert8490

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
You can start your own game with Unity, Cocos 2dx or Andengine...
But, Prerequisites, you need basic skill of java basic, android application.

rapc80

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
If you know HTML, CSS and Javascript you can make an app through Phonegap or Ionic Framework. It is very easy.
You can make app for three platforms simultanously without any extra coding.

dev ncow

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

If you want to develop games, the best dev kit is IMHO : Unity3d. You have to code in C#. C# is Java-like coding. There is a lot of tutorial on the net about coding in Unity3d and a lot of tutorial videos.
However, you can use Android studio with LibGdx ==> I think it is the better game engine for Android (you code in Java and you can generate apps for iOS, PC, Android !)

Regards,

Prophet1111

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi there!

Just recently I finished working on my first game.
That's why I recomment my way, although it has many downsides ;)

I used c# and Monogame Framework, which is free and that was my main objective. Unity is a great engine, but you can't customize your splash screen in free license, which is a deal breaking for me.
Monogame isn't free of bugs (especially on Android unfortunetely, but hey - Android programming isn't the easiest ;) ) but it's fine for first time i think.

If you don't have to have customized splash screen or you can afford paid subscription you shoud go with Unity IMHO. It's the best solution right now, it's pretty fast, it's user-friendly.

ParitoshBh

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
- Are there any great channels on Android programming

Answering this question particularly, I'd highly recommend Google's Udacity course. They are free and a very good starting point to begin with android programming. Once you have the basic knowledge, you can go about coding your first game! Cheers!

Vendetta8247

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I'd highly recommend Google's Udacity course
Not sure if it's the best place if OP wants to develop games. There are mostly courses for developing applications, not games. Though they have a good course on optimization.

I would recommend to go for libgdx. It is a pretty good place to start. But before I'd learn some basics about android graphics and opengl es

ParitoshBh

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
But before I'd learn some basics about android graphics and opengl es

Agreed, they aren't much useful when it comes to playing around with graphics. But considering this bullet particularly, I suggested udacity

Looking mainly to create games but will also want to create a few apps.

Moreover, if you get the basics rights (considering dev is totally new to Android) diving into game development shouldn't be herculean task :)

Tweeky99

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of App Inventor and how the level of difficulty compares with the platforms you've mentioned. I have a science background so I have a good grasp of logic but not specific experience in Java etc. I've used App Inventor and found it pretty reasonable to use. More sophisticated platform seem to be a quantum leap away in terms of level of difficulty.

stellarowl12

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I HIGHLY recommend this guide: The Busy Coder's guide to Android Development. It has chapters on every part of Android Development you could imagine and their example code is great as well.